• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Social anxiety

D

dora318

Is it possible to overcome social anxiety and what really did help?

A

ape130

I think part of it is exposure to situations, which is hard. My therapist insisted that I sign up for a community education class through the local university. It was very difficult getting to that point, but once I got myself there then things started to feel a little more comfortable. ALthough I DID stay in the back row by myself, so I guess I could have done more exposure by sitting next to someone else and talking to them, but I didn't quite get there.

S

SFGuy

I’ve gotten much better, but it lingers.

I have ADHD with Rejection Sensitivity. Meds have helped. I take the lowest dose of Xanax XR, Lyrica (300mg/day), Guanfacine, and small dose Xanax IR as needed. That’s allowed me to have a lot of exposure, which has helped enormously. I have been able to go from the back row to leading meetings and giving talks in front of groups. It has taken about 2 years to get to this point.

I still feel exhausted by too much social interaction, but I can do it in reasonable doses.

Cognitive/behavioral therapy didn’t work by itself, but it gave me a skill set I use all the time now that the meds are working.

1redpath

I got told you can reverse the effects of social anxiety
Exposure engaging effort
Have you got a dog?
A dog good because other people are drawn to pets even if not to you.
Having a dog can also build confidence