• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Social anxiety

L

London123

I was just wondering if anyone expierences themselves comparing themselves to other people specifically at certain ages . Everyday I wake up and constantly compare my self to others and I feel horrible because of it. I have recently been diagnosed with social anxiety and depression.

Schizohayez

Schizohayez

You are not alone at all. im not sure how old you are but im 20 and I still compare myself. im spiritual so the way I handle is .. we are all reflections of each other because we come from the same source we've just been assigned different personalities to embody in this life. you are capable of being anything you want. if you want to form ur self to be more friendly or courages or humble you can! but also why would u want to spend your life trying to form to be someone else .. focus on what characteristics you identify with and work on those and you will be the best version of yourself!! sending you love and peace on your journey <3

L

London123

I’m 21 so similar in age. I don’t drink and constantly compare my self to peers my age because they do. My problem is from the age of 16 I have been working and my mind has been on that as a senco/ childcare practitioner. It’s annoying how society creates a vision of what you should be doing and my mental health just seems triggered by comparing myself to peers around me making me feel like I am failing at things :(

Scapes1986

Scapes1986

I’m sorry you feel this way about yourself. Things could get better with age and maturity but really depression sucks. Feel better and welcome to the forum

hicks

hicks

I was just wondering if anyone expierences themselves comparing themselves to other people specifically at certain ages . Everyday I wake up and constantly compare my self to others and I feel horrible because of it. I have recently been diagnosed with social anxiety and depression.
Yes constantly.
I agree with @Scapes1986 comment. Social anxiety (for me anyway) has become less severe as I've aged.
What I would say is that conversation is a skill that you get better at with practice. I wish someone had made me realise this 40 years ago.
Back then, and still now to a large extent, my crushing sense of self consciousness has stifled my social skills.
Although now I am much better at one to one conversation.
Group social situations still absolutely freak me out.

L

London123

Yeah I can’t stand big groups let alone big group conversations . Hopefully as I get a little older things will improve.

I

irwin

Being around other people reminds me what a loser I am. I've had a few periods in my life where it wasn't so bad, but right now, it's pretty severe, and I feel like I've run out of options.

jajingna

jajingna

Eh, lots of folks aren't doing as well as we think. Consider that most people focus on themselves and probably find their own lives hard.