• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Social Anxiety

B

bangalore

I have struggled with anxiety at social events for many years. I am pushing through and I have been going to community events. My tendancy is to avoid social events and sometimes that is ok. What I am finding is that the more I go to these things the less power these events have over me. I feel some freedom and when I have had enough I go home.
It is never as bad as what the fear can tell me. Often I feel good and enjoyed the event, even the moments of social uncomftableness that I feel at times. The only way for me is to keep pushing through without overwhelming myself and making myself ill. Balance with the importance on turning up rather than avoid.

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Bristol, TN/VA, USA (near mountains and 6 hours fr
Good for you!

I have slowly been doing the exposure thing too.

I can now go some places I could not endure a year ago.

Some situations still make me too uncomfortable, but that is ok. I am making progress and so are you!

L

Ladylala

Well done! That's the thing with anxiety the more you do what makes you anxious the less anxious you become!

B

bangalore

The anxiety gets very strong when I am around a lot of people. I had to leave friends and family and go home today. I was ok for a few hours and it comes on so quick and strong that I had to go home and not go out tonight. It is good to push through and got to social events, not to much though as it overwhelmes me and causes me severe anxiety.
I am lucky to have a nice home and can relax on my own. I sometimes think I need medication to deal with anxiety and the ocd,because I am a recovering drug addict I am very reluctant to go on meds and I had a very bad experience coming off sulphride and seroxat, they brought me off those drugs 1, then half then nothing. I had fits and involuntary body movements for 18 months. Also like wave of electric in my brain. I have gone a bit ill over the last few years and I don't seem to be able to tolerate the mental torment as much as I did in my 20's. Although it was much worse back then I just seemed to be able to keep going, im now 45 and I think being unmedicated for that long may cause me to suffer more and I know pills do not stop mental illness some can help to some people.

BrianHorlicks

BrianHorlicks

Have you tried imaging them in their underwear?
Worked for me.

K

Kerry:D

I've started to realise the most people are stupid in this world so their opinion of me doesn't matter I just remind myself I'm smarter than them. All they do is get drunk and look stupid and gossip more to life than that. Also I went on a dating and the majority of people or should I say 99.9% were crazier than me but they didn't know it. Does normal even exist in this world?

BrianHorlicks

BrianHorlicks

I've started to realise the most people are stupid in this world so their opinion of me doesn't matter I just remind myself I'm smarter than them. All they do is get drunk and look stupid and gossip more to life than that. Also I went on a dating and the majority of people or should I say 99.9% were crazier than me but they didn't know it. Does normal even exist in this world?
Someone's 'normal',
is somebody else's 'weird'.

BrianHorlicks

BrianHorlicks

Kerry:D,
This is for you!

Attachments