• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Social anxiety online + criticism

S

strawberrywater

Is social anxiety online, in regards to social media and blogs, possible? I have a blog page on a bigger website and whenever I post, there's always negative, critical comments. They're not directed at me, but just about the subject of my post in general.

For instance, if I post a review of a new Ben and Jerrys ice cream flavor, I'll get comments like "I hate Ben and Jerrys and I'll never support their company." Why do people bother to write these comments? It doesn't add to my post and it's not constructive criticism. It's just rude.

But since it happens with everything I post, it brings me down and makes me not want to post anymore. All the negativity makes me sad. I don't like how people have to write these rude things, and no one is asking for their opinion. I'm scared these comments will make my blog look really bad and I feel I've been randomly attacked and no one who takes it seriously will read it.

Any help with this? How can I not let this barrage of negativity get to me?

S

strawberrywater

Add -- another thing I noticed is that when I post something like that, other users will make posts about how much they hate that certain brand and everyone chimes in. It makes me feel like I'm not wanted no matter where I go. Real life, online.. I don't do anything wrong yet no one accepts me. It's scary.

90s_cat

90s_cat

It's totally possible, I get social anxiety on social media.

I'm not sure if this is exactly social anxiety though, it sounds like a rather a normal reaction to people kinda bullying you. The comments left aren't necessary, it sounds like trolling. Are you able to monitor comments on your blog and delete them? It might sound like censorship, but if it were my blog I would block and delete them.

Twinkle Toes

Twinkle Toes

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Everyone is an armchair critic these days! As far as they're concerned they're allowed to express their opinion (free speech and all that) and behind a screen you can't see the consequences of your actions as if you critisized someone face-to-face and saw they were upset as a result

If its a wordpress blog I'm sure you can choose to approve a comment before it goes up.

As a side note I think people seem to be either alot more aggressive in their comments or they're very 'woke' and the tiniest little thing even if it as meant as a constructive criticism gets you removed from a group! (especially if the other person is the 'big popular member with lots of fans' (or think they are).

I've left loads of groups/sites and SM and only come on a couple of MH ones now.

jajingna

jajingna

If bullying can happen online that can make people anxious.

zula77

zula77

Mine isn't related to bullying but just replying to others on social media and to messages in general, I hate replying to people and then reading replies, I'll often get my partner to read them for me. But yeah people are really uncharacteristically bold and rude online, because they feel invincible, hiding behind the screen. Just remember in real life they would not treat you like that

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Just makes me glad I don't use social media out of sheer defiance of social convention. I use a couple of MH, Buddhist Sites and a couple of gaming forums and that's it. And I have even come across nasty comments and bullying on some Buddhist forums.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Add -- another thing I noticed is that when I post something like that, other users will make posts about how much they hate that certain brand and everyone chimes in. It makes me feel like I'm not wanted no matter where I go. Real life, online.. I don't do anything wrong yet no one accepts me. It's scary.
I don’t think it’s social anxiety. You are being bullied online and you are afraid of being bullied.
That’s only natural. If you can’t disable comments or delete them as they come through it might just be something you have to learn to tolerate if you wish to continue to blog there. xo, j

B

Blues47

Seems like the nature of the internet...people love to hate. I've had to give up social media entirely because I do get personally attacked...by people I know. And not for what I say, merely for being available on social media.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Is social anxiety online, in regards to social media and blogs, possible? I have a blog page on a bigger website and whenever I post, there's always negative, critical comments. They're not directed at me, but just about the subject of my post in general.

For instance, if I post a review of a new Ben and Jerrys ice cream flavor, I'll get comments like "I hate Ben and Jerrys and I'll never support their company." Why do people bother to write these comments? It doesn't add to my post and it's not constructive criticism. It's just rude.

But since it happens with everything I post, it brings me down and makes me not want to post anymore. All the negativity makes me sad. I don't like how people have to write these rude things, and no one is asking for their opinion. I'm scared these comments will make my blog look really bad and I feel I've been randomly attacked and no one who takes it seriously will read it.

Any help with this? How can I not let this barrage of negativity get to me?
I think there are some people who may have a need to contradict other people's points of view. I also think there may be some who have a need to cause arguments, or take pleasure in other people's misfortuntes (and no doubt there are some who have a need to bring those misfortunes about). I wonder what it says about someone who has those sort of needs. I would hazard a guess that they might want to be noticed, perhaps also hoping that someone will reply to them (possibly feeding their ego and feeling of self-importance). One way of looking at it might be to respect other people's point of view (that doesn't mean to say you have to agree with them). Perhaps they might feel they have a valid reason for their views and opinions, perhaps they want to get something off their chest. Sometimes taking the time to ask why someone feels the way they described can help them feel valued and accepted (isn't it a basic human need). Also because you took time out to consider their feelings, they will warm to you, and it will allow you to have a better understanding of them. Great things can be achieved through sharing and understanding, it can also help to alleviate mis-understandings (if there are any). Just a thought, hope this helps :)

Argon

Argon

Just come up with snappy replies. Like "Thank you for your opinion. Retard!" My favorite from Seinfeld was "The jerk store called and they're running out of you." People love confrontation and it will make your blog more popular.