• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Social anxiety leads to general anxiety leads to depression

W

WhatSarahSaid

I don't know if I can ever get past my mindset. I'm bored because I'm tired of the activities that I'm not afraid to do. I'm only afraid of activities that involve potential conflict with others. For example, I bought a razor scooter (always wanted one as a child) and I love it, but I've never ridden it outside because I'm afraid of what people will think or say, because I feel like they'll think I'm too old for those kinds of things.

I just have no interest in anything lately, and now I feel like I'm getting obsessive about not knowing what I want to do at any given moment in my free time, which is really just making it worse. I've been trying to like access my inner child or whatever because I spend my childhood walking on eggshells, trying to avoid getting screamed at and called stupid for something trivial like putting a kitchen utensil in the wrong drawer. I'm preprogrammed. I have no idea what my real interests are, and the last time I remember really knowing who I was, I was about 5 maybe. I try an interest, get super invested for about a month, then lost interest. And I'm so sick of it.

jajingna

jajingna

I'm only afraid of activities that involve potential conflict with others.

I've been trying to like access my inner child or whatever because I spend my childhood walking on eggshells, trying to avoid getting screamed at and called stupid for something trivial like putting a kitchen utensil in the wrong drawer. I'm preprogrammed.
I guess no one likes conflict. Some of us are really sensitive to it, and it bothers us a lot. So we might avoid anything where it could happen, although we may be poor at assessing the likelihood of it, or overthink how bad it really is when it happens. We may have catastrophe in mind. I can't stand the awkwardness sometimes, it bothers me afterwards. Makes me want to avoid it, but it is common to feel it.

The second point, oh boy, that hits home. I grew up in chaos and abuse (emotional/mental) and neglect. Lots of tension and hostility and anger and mental illness. Criticized for trivial stuff like you said. Some learned helplessness happened because no matter what, it kept on coming. I learned to avoid at home because who wants that, someone yelling at you, judging you, etc.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
A aav72's Social Anxiety poems #4 - "a time to forgive" Social Anxiety Forum 0
A aav72's Social Anxiety poems #3 - i beg your pardon, miss "T" Social Anxiety Forum 0
Sammyjames97 Tips for people with social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 7
M work..and social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 2
A aav72's Social Anxiety poems #2 - "pariah to you" Social Anxiety Forum 2
A aav72's Social Anxiety poems #1 - "i didn't ask you" Social Anxiety Forum 3
S I Want to Overcome my Social Anxiety but Can’t.... Social Anxiety Forum 8
OCDguy Addressing the fears of Social Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 1
N Social anxiety institute why aren’t more people talking about this. Social Anxiety Forum 20
D Made a video on best ways I've learned to defeat social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 2
Sam1305 Do i even have social anxiety ? Social Anxiety Forum 12
W Overcoming GAD & Social Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 4
OCDguy Beating Social Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 12
T Anybody have advice on how to overcome social anxiety??? Social Anxiety Forum 5
T Social anxiety is crippling Social Anxiety Forum 10
L Social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 8
U Social anxiety and accommodation Social Anxiety Forum 4
A How can I help my friend overcome his social anxiety? Social Anxiety Forum 7
KyussEatsTheSun Social Anxiety - Overcoming Phobias Concept Social Anxiety Forum 4
jajingna Recognizing social anxiety in other people Social Anxiety Forum 8
B Is social anxiety ever really gone? Social Anxiety Forum 45
Talina social anxiety and low self-esteem, I’m slowly getting tired of it Social Anxiety Forum 16
B My social anxiety revelation Social Anxiety Forum 2
O I think I might have social anxiety and/or depression. Social Anxiety Forum 7
A Social anxiety and depression Social Anxiety Forum 1
D I can’t eat in my own house because of social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 6
D Social anxiety controls my life and it makes me so depressed. Social Anxiety Forum 13
UpnDwn1978 Social anxiety at work Social Anxiety Forum 10
A Social anxiety heavily crippled my life and still do. Social Anxiety Forum 10
S Social anxiety is running my life Social Anxiety Forum 8
OCDguy Causes of Social Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 5
L Gaming with social anxiety sucks when it comes to talking on mic Social Anxiety Forum 10
I Suffering from social anxiety, depression and extremely lonely, please help Social Anxiety Forum 9
C Introversion vs. Social Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 1
J I've severe social anxiety because I feel like everyone is judging me and bitching me in the back. Social Anxiety Forum 5
L Social Anxiety Barriers Social Anxiety Forum 5
Mosswar New to Social Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 1
sad_heart20 my social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 9
OCDguy Social Confidence free masterclasses Social Anxiety Forum 2
D social phobia combined with extreme shyness Social Anxiety Forum 21
B Bad social skills Social Anxiety Forum 3
D Is it bad for me to obsess over improving how I sound and how I act in social situations or do I need to stop overthinking so much? Social Anxiety Forum 9
JustinS1998 Question About Social Interaction Social Anxiety Forum 29
N Social media Social Anxiety Forum 9
D Ashwagandha and L-theanine for anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 10
hicks Do you find anxiety suppresses your sense of humour? Social Anxiety Forum 6
C autism, anxiety, stuck Social Anxiety Forum 9
F Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 9
L I need a job, but my anxiety won't let me Social Anxiety Forum 4
I Questions about the efficacy of medications in treating anxiety disorder Social Anxiety Forum 4