• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Social anxiety is running my life

S

SweetBipolar

I am uncomfortable everywhere I go
With anything I do. I have been isolated most of my life. I am
Not used to going out. I am not used to talking to people. Ever since I was little I had a hard time to participate in school. I was extremely shy. Now I am just the same. I am terrified of people. I don’t know how to give eye contact or communicate. I am always nervous and shamed of
Myself. I feel like a horrible weak person. I can’t stick up for myself or others. Sometimes I don’t even want to live** because I feel
Hopeless. How can I survive in life. People don’t understand and just will say get over it but it’s not that easy. I want to scream and cry. I’ve never lived a normal life. I always hid away my whole
Life. My mind tortures my self esteem. It’s always telling me how disgusting and useless I am. I’ve been taking medication and CBT and it helps a little. But no matter what it always comes back to these feelings. I wouldn’t be able to protect
Myself or my family
If someone came because I am too scared and will hide. I feel fragile and weak. I feel like a child who is terrified. I feel there is nothing that can help me because I have to help myself. My mind is messed up. I see myself in a very bad way. I don’t know
How
To be apart of the community and a human.

K

karl7

i know how tough social anxiety is.....my life is sh!t because of it......im socially isolated....i have no friends, no job no career, no money......i havent even ever had sex and im 44.......my life is sh!t but i do depend on these forums for support....they make me feel somewhat better.....people here are understanding and caring.....also @SweetBipolar , there is another website called www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum which is great for meeting other socially anxious individuals.....check it out.

S

SweetBipolar

i know how tough social anxiety is.....my life is sh!t because of it......im socially isolated....i have no friends, no job no career, no money......i havent even ever had sex and im 44.......my life is sh!t but i do depend on these forums for support....they make me feel somewhat better.....people here are understanding and caring.....also @SweetBipolar , there is another website called www.socialanxietysupport.com/forum which is great for meeting other socially anxious individuals.....check it out.
I am sorry you are suffering from social anxiety..

K

Kcbkcb58

I think we can all relate to many aspects of what you're feeling. I'm sorry that you feel so overwhelmed and that every area of your life is impacted. You have as much worth as anyone else and you deserve happiness, please try and believe that. Why not focus on just one area of your life to try and improve. I know it's not easy, but it might be a start in a better direction. Kate

S

SweetBipolar

I think we can all relate to many aspects of what you're feeling. I'm sorry that you feel so overwhelmed and that every area of your life is impacted. You have as much worth as anyone else and you deserve happiness, please try and believe that. Why not focus on just one area of your life to try and improve. I know it's not easy, but it might be a start in a better direction. Kate
Thank you

JessisMe

JessisMe

I am uncomfortable everywhere I go
With anything I do. I have been isolated most of my life. I am
Not used to going out. I am not used to talking to people. Ever since I was little I had a hard time to participate in school. I was extremely shy. Now I am just the same. I am terrified of people. I don’t know how to give eye contact or communicate. I am always nervous and shamed of
Myself. I feel like a horrible weak person. I can’t stick up for myself or others. Sometimes I don’t even want to live** because I feel
Hopeless. How can I survive in life. People don’t understand and just will say get over it but it’s not that easy. I want to scream and cry. I’ve never lived a normal life. I always hid away my whole
Life. My mind tortures my self esteem. It’s always telling me how disgusting and useless I am. I’ve been taking medication and CBT and it helps a little. But no matter what it always comes back to these feelings. I wouldn’t be able to protect
Myself or my family
If someone came because I am too scared and will hide. I feel fragile and weak. I feel like a child who is terrified. I feel there is nothing that can help me because I have to help myself. My mind is messed up. I see myself in a very bad way. I don’t know
How
To be apart of the community and a human.
I think you are judging yourself harshly. We are all just the way we are. Most of us were born the way we are now. We didn’t choose it. So what if you have fears about being around people and are weak? Not everyone is a strong person and a social butterfly. I’m sure you have many other strengths. Maybe focus on your strengths more than on your perceived flaws and the things you don’t like about yourself will matter less. Les social person are often more reserved, thoughtful and intuitive. These are all good things. Try and defend yourself against yourself for at least a moment: don’t let you beat up on you. :hug:

S

SweetBipolar

I think you are judging yourself harshly. We are all just the way we are. Most of us were born the way we are now. We didn’t choose it. So what if you have fears about being around people and are weak? Not everyone is a strong person and a social butterfly. I’m sure you have many other strengths. Maybe focus on your strengths more than on your perceived flaws and the things you don’t like about yourself will matter less. Les social person are often more reserved, thoughtful and intuitive. These are all good things. Try and defend yourself against yourself for at least a moment: don’t let you beat up on you. :hug:
Thank you

E

Ellie123

Just thanking you for the link in this reply.

I have a son who has been isolating himself for years and I'm really struggling with it as I can see him wasting his life away, but feel powerless to do anything about it. I've been try to stay calm, and keep a positive vibe in the house, as I know he's been depressed too, but scared that in doing nothing that I'm not pushing him to move forward. I'd never heard of 'Society Anxeity' and so I'm going to have a look at this and, although I know it's him that needs to make the move to making himself better, I'm going to see if it will help me help him in the background, or at least with my own anxeity.

Thank you again :)

Yourneveralone7

Yourneveralone7

What I have come to learn is that social anxiety really got the best of me during middle school, some of high school, and some of college. Looking back, I realize that I was too hard on myself. I'm an introvert and I had to accept that about myself. I just don't prefer being around a large gathering of people especially if I don't know most of them. I have learned to come out of my shell in the past year thanks to the people at my church.