• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Gajolene

Gajolene

Social Anxiety Disorder Linked to High Serotonin Levels, Throwing Treatment with SSRIs into Serious Question |

Depression and other mental health problems are at epidemic levels judging by the number of antidepressants prescribed each year.

According to CDC data,1 one in 20 Americans over the age of 12 report some form of depression, and 11 percent of the US population over the age of 12 is on antidepressant medication.2

This despite overwhelming evidence showing that antidepressants do not work as advertised.

At best, antidepressants are comparable to placebos. At worst they can cause devastating side effects, including deterioration into more serious mental illness, and suicidal or homicidal tendencies.

Virtually all of the school and mass shooters, for example, have been on antidepressants. Antidepressants are also prescribed to pregnant women, which can have serious repercussions for the child.

Research3 shows boys with autism are three times more likely to have been exposed to antidepressants known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) in utero than non-autistic boys. Those whose mothers used SSRIs during the first trimester were found to be at greatest risk.

Recent research into the mechanisms driving anxiety and social phobias now turn conventional drug treatment with SSRIs on its ear.

Turns out these mental health problems are not due to low serotonin levels as previously thought. They’re linked to high levels! If these findings are taken as seriously as they should be, the mental health field is in for a major overhaul.

THE LOW SEROTONIN THEORY WAS NEVER PROVEN TRUE, YET SPAWNED A BOOMING MARKET OF SSRIS

Prozac was released in 1987 in the US, giving rise to an entire new antidepressant therapy class known as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs). Some of the most popular ones include:

Paxil (fluoxetine)
Celexa (citalopram)
Zoloft (sertraline)
Paxil (paroxetine)
Lexapro (escitalopram)
- See more at: Social Anxiety Disorder Linked to High Serotonin Levels, Throwing Treatment with SSRIs into Serious Question |

Click link to read the full article.

Gajolene

Gajolene

I'm not a big fan of SSRI's myself, although I have been on and off them over the years and did manage to find one that works well for me during times I cannot function without medication to help. CPU, I took many changes to find it though and most times my condition worsened rather than improved on them.

I've always been a big advocate of holistic/natural treatments and dietary and life changes first before taking the medication route myself. Being SSRI's in particular, I can't compare these medications to the antipsychotics the boys take to remain stable and function in terms of weighing the odds of functioning without or with being on them. My condition comes in relapses so temporary solutions work for me, usually 4 month stretches than I am ok off them again. I keep my mind open and always keep looking for safer alternative salutions that can work.
I'm currently resisting the pain medications I've been prescribed as well as much as possible. I think they are everybit as dangerous and damaging in the long run as anti psychotics and ssri's can be.

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I can't compare these medications to the antipsychotics the boys take to remain stable and function in terms of weighing the odds of functioning without or with being on them.
Personally i think that there is a far broader question as to the efficacy of all classes of psychiatric drugs, but currently a lot of the growing debate seems to have centred primarily around anti-depressants.

Not to say there isn't a role for wise psychopharmacology - as i think there very much is - still think that psych drugs are being far to over & widely prescribed - But that's as much a collective/social responsibility as it is of the system imo.

Gajolene

Gajolene

I think doctors are still way to quick in doling out anti-depressants still, without looking at the broader more comprehensive causes of the depression and anxiety in the first place, but things are improving with the added options of therapy, aftercare and shelters to help people.

queenpink

queenpink

Well i do need my antidepressant and anti psychotic and other meds to function and be somewhat normal if i was without my meds id be dead as without my meds i would have been eventually successful in killing myself.I need my anxiety meds as i would vomit from anxiety and have numerous anxiety attacks in a day without them.

Gajolene

Gajolene

During my relapses I'm like that too Queenpink, I was lucky to find the right combination that works for me, when coping becomes impossible and the physical symptoms make me incredibly ill as well, I found that as time goes on the coping tools work more and more and the need to go back on the SSRI's has lessened considerably. It's an incredible amount of research, hard work and committment to achieving good health and for me a 28 year journey.
Hindsight is always 20/20 and for a lot of times I was on them my living circumstances at the time were horrid and greatly contributed to my PTSD relapsing so severly. Changing my living circumstances went a long way in my battle with depression and anxiety. There were 3 therapists in particular out of 6 that were incredibly helpfull in the coping tools and source discovery of my PTSD as well.

Wishing you sucess as well queenpink in being able to overcome your depression and anxiety. I still relapse but it's been 3 years now since I've needed to resort to going back to SSRI's but I do still have pills for panick when I'm having a particualily anxious or panick ridden day. These meds really shouldn't be a permanent solution if you don't have more serious conditions involving more serious antipsychotic meds complicating things and making it impossible not to be on them. I've been living with depression my entire life and with the PTSD for 27 years though so I've had a lot of time to figure out what's best for me. The hardest part was reaching out for help in the first place and admitting I needed the help. Sorry I've gone on too long now. Take care

Last edited:
queenpink

queenpink

During my relapses I'm like that too Queenpink, I was lucky to find the right combination that works for me, when coping becomes impossible and the physical symptoms make me incredibly ill as well, I found that as time goes on the coping tools work more and more and the need to go back on the SSRI's has lessened considerably. It's an incredible amount of research, hard work and committment to achieving good health and for me a 28 year journey.
Hindsight is always 20/20 and for a lot of times I was on them my living circumstances at the time were horrid and greatly contributed to my PTSD relapsing so severly. Changing my living circumstances went a long way in my battle with depression and anxiety. There were 3 therapists in particular out of 6 that were incredibly helpfull in the coping tools and source discovery of my PTSD as well.

Wishing you sucess as well queenpink in being able to overcome your depression and anxiety. I still relapse but it's been 3 years now since I've needed to resort to going back to SSRI's but I do still have pills for panick when I'm having a particualily anxious or panick ridden day. These meds really shouldn't be a permanent solution if you don't have more serious conditions involving more serious antipsychotic meds complicating things and making it impossible not to be on them. I've been living with depression my entire life and with the PTSD for 27 years though so I've had a lot of time to figure out what's best for me. The hardest part was reaching out for help in the first place and admitting I needed the help. Sorry I've gone on too long now. Take care
I have bpd as well as psychosis(i hear voices,get bad paranoia and delusions sometimes) i have clinical/major depression and social and generalized anxiety disorders.oh and ocd as well.Ive had bpd since i was 18 maybe younger Ive been depressed since i was about 13 and had anxiety since i was young as well.my anxiety has been classified as "severe"I dont know why i have psychosis all the time though the anti-psychotic does help a bit but i still get paranoia and hear voices

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think doctors are still way to quick in doling out anti-depressants still, without looking at the broader more comprehensive causes of the depression and anxiety in the first place, but things are improving with the added options of therapy, aftercare and shelters to help people.
& applies to all areas of mental health.