• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Social anxiety, deep depression

S

Sev94

Hi, just joined today.
I'm a 20 year old female and I've had severe social anxiety for as long as I can remember. It's so bad it's gotten to the point where I can't even answer my phone because I don't want to talk to anyone. I don't like going to family gatherings I don't like being around people at all. I've never been able to get a job. I left school after year 11 and that was 4 years ago, I've been struggling to find a job ever since but no one will give me the time of day and I know it's because they can see I have low confidence and low self esteem and they don't want that around their customers. I know getting a job would be good for me and give me routine in my life because all I've been doing for the past 4 years is sleeping 15 hours a day sometimes more.
My family don't understand at all, so I don't even bother trying to tell them how I feel.
It's my 21st birthday in less than a month and it hurts me that I won't even be having a party or celebrating it. I can't have a party because I have no friends and hardly any family. I've never had a boyfriend because well let's face it what guy wants a depressed sad girl.
I have no motivation to do anything anymore. Sometimes I think suicide is the best option for me I have nothing to look forward to when I wake up so what's the point? It's just the same bullshit everyday. I'm over it.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
Have you seen a GP? Have you thought about therapy or medication?
I tried therapy but it wasn't for me but i found a certain medication really helpful for my social anxiety and am just starting to get a bit better slowly.

S

Sev94

I have seen my GP and a therapist and both told me try medication. It seems like that may be my only option at the moment

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Hey Sev, sounds like things are getting to a really bad point for you. :hug1:

When you say you think about suicide sometimes, do you think you'd ever act on it?
If you ever feel like you might, i'd suggest talking to a GP before doing anything to harm yourself.
I know it's tough and can feel a bit hopeless, but things can change.

Whilst some people are against medication, I have to say, taking meds has really helped me in terms of my social anxiety. I still get anxious, yes, but i'm able to actually have a conversation now and I don't feel so awful when i'm meeting someone new or find myself in a group of people.
What i'm saying is, it might be worth a try.

I completely understand how upsetting the Birthday thing can be. When I was younger and had my more special Birthdays (16, 18, 21) I think I cried on all of those occasions because I felt so alone and didn't have any friends to celebrate with.
I'm 25 now. I don't get as upset as I used to when it's my Birthday, I suppose i've learned to relax about it a bit more and accept that my life hasn't been straightforward. The fact I don't necessarily have friends to go out with is because of my anxiety and not that i'm not good enough in any way.

Anyway, I can understand your reluctance, but I would say that medication is something you might want to consider.
Also i'm wondering if you were offered any counselling at all? Sometimes that can be really helpful and help you in the longer term.

N

nash1949

Seems to me like no one gives a damn, gps etc. I had breakdown 8 yrs ago, no one really understands and the hassle with benefits depts just makes me drink even more

S

Sev94

Hi, I honestly don't know if I'd have the guts to act on the thoughts.
I've never been offered councilling, they've only ever tried to give me medication which I've always been against but it might be a good idea to try. And to look into councilling. Thank you for your support and feedback :)

C

cally75

Hi, just joined today.
I'm a 20 year old female and I've had severe social anxiety for as long as I can remember. It's so bad it's gotten to the point where I can't even answer my phone because I don't want to talk to anyone. I don't like going to family gatherings I don't like being around people at all. I've never been able to get a job. I left school after year 11 and that was 4 years ago, I've been struggling to find a job ever since but no one will give me the time of day and I know it's because they can see I have low confidence and low self esteem and they don't want that around their customers. I know getting a job would be good for me and give me routine in my life because all I've been doing for the past 4 years is sleeping 15 hours a day sometimes more.
My family don't understand at all, so I don't even bother trying to tell them how I feel.
It's my 21st birthday in less than a month and it hurts me that I won't even be having a party or celebrating it. I can't have a party because I have no friends and hardly any family. I've never had a boyfriend because well let's face it what guy wants a depressed sad girl.
I have no motivation to do anything anymore. Sometimes I think suicide is the best option for me I have nothing to look forward to when I wake up so what's the point? It's just the same bullshit everyday. I'm over it.
Hey.
This post reminded me a lot of myself at your age. I was shy growing up, left school at 16. I had job interviews after interview, maybe 50 in all & all the rejections made my confidence worse.
Then someone gave me a chance. It was a sales job (not ideal for anyone lacking confidence!). The first few months were tough but my confidence was growing. I was also on medication at same time.

I can't say if it was having a job or the medication that was making the difference. I think a combination of both. But talk to your gp. That's the first step & just be honest!
things will turn round when you least expect it & sure you'll get through this one step at a time.
hope any of this helps!

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Take the medication to take the edge off, get a job, learn some self help techniques then maybe think about coming off gradually??

If it makes you feel any better my 21st I had a funeral to attend! Fun fun fun