• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Social anxiety/avoidance

A

aero89

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Summary.... So I'm in therapy.I'm that scared that I won't be able to move on from professional therapeutic/boundaried relationships. Has anyone had successful experiences with this transition?

I am trying to go to organise community activity groups for people struggling with their mental health such as sports, nature and drama groups. But effectively we are all service users or patients with a professional running the group. This feels safer than normal life interactions which aren't 'held' by professionals. I am avoiding meeting with friends and less formal meet ups.

I only really feel safe talking to my therapist right now

I have been trying 1:1s with other health and wellbeing professionals but again this is a professional - patient relationship.

Today my flatmate had a small birthday gathering in our garden... I knew two of people who came but I just stayed in my room in bed and avoided them.

A

Anna03

I would say that professional relationships are necessary but dangerous. I had a psychologist for over a year and she was wonderful. I was happily married but I loved her. Therapy finished about 15 years ago and I haven't seen her since but I still love her. If I ever found out she was in any danger I would protect her. I didn't stalk her or anything. I did end up being admitted to psychiatric ward straight after our last session. I don't regret it. Professionals should also be very careful not to allow the boundaries to become fuzzy. She broke my heart and it took a v long time to get over it. On the positive side, I have had several MH workers but this only happened the once.

A

aero89

ACCOUNT CLOSED
@Anna03 that sounds really traumatic. Do you mean you loved her like romantically or like family or a friend? Did it feel like she crossed any boundaries?

A

Anna03

I didn't love her romantically but she was like a child to me or a best friend. I still feel intense love when I think about her. She helped me turn my life around although I didn't recognise it at the time. I know she was gutted to have to stop seeing me. Her manager realised it was unhealthy and put a stop to it. We were the same age, similar qualifications, children if the same age etc. In some ways I feel I loved her like a twin sister. I don't regret it but I would try my best for it not to happen again.
I had a CPN for ten years and she was great. She helped me loads. It was me that decided I was able to survive without her. I bought her a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a kind card. I think about her now and again. But I definitely didn't feel love for her, just appreciation.