• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Social Anxiety at Work

M

Mav2126

Hi Everyone - I have been working now for 2 months. Everyone is very nice to me. But I felt so scared today when everyone was talking and laughing together. I felt so disconnected from them. It made me sad that I couldn't join in their conversation.

miss_sensitivity

miss_sensitivity

This is such a common feeling that I have. And once these thoughts kick in, I find it even harder to connect in. For me I think part of the issue is being too much in my own head.
My partner always says to me that all that matters is being kind. We don't have to be the most talkative, the funniest or the loudest. I think part of that includes being kind to yourself.
I wish I could tell you something that would take that sad feeling away because I know how it feels. Remember though, two months isn't a hugely long time either, sometimes it can take time to form those solid bonds and connections. I hope you feel better

2Much2Feel

True true, what miss_sensitivity is saying! Two months isn't that long, although it can feel like an eternity when you first start a job. I've found that the jobs I stay with even when I think I can't tend to get better over time. Over time, people respect you for being there, sticking with it, and are willing to "invest" more in your as a person once they get used to the idea that you are not moving on or temporary. I swear this has been true almost every single time. Hang in there, and good for you for doing so whilst experiencing this anxiety! I do believe that most of society can relate to what you're saying, though. Starting a new job is my LEAST favourite thing to do, not easy, but the hardest part is over. :)

M

Mav2126

Thank you miss sensitivity and 2much2feel. I really appreciate your kind and understanding words. It does help. :)

S

Shay94

I agree, 2 months isn't that long of being in a new job. Social anxiety sucks, I felt the same way when I started mine in Oct last year. I didn't really speak much coz my head kept playing up & wondering how the boss/other employees would see me, also the fact I hadn't done this job in 6 years so was extremely nervous getting back into it. Wasn't on meds when I started but had been at my previous job as work became so incredibly toxic & was no longer able to cope without it. All I can say is just give it a chance at this one, takes time to form relationships/bonds with new people you work with. You don't have to be so positive etc 24/7 but just be kind to them & you'll form a bond with them in time :)

M

Mav2126

Thanks so much everyone for your support. I want to report back that I had a great day today. I felt connected to people and was able to laugh with them and joke around. So at least that is one good day on the books.

2Much2Feel

Thanks so much everyone for your support. I want to report back that I had a great day today. I felt connected to people and was able to laugh with them and joke around. So at least that is one good day on the books.
Mav2126, that is awesome news!!! Good job hanging in there. You'll likely be v glad you did. I felt SO out of place and lost at a job that turned out to be the best job I ever had, just took a bit. People just gradually let you in. Well done :)

miss_sensitivity

miss_sensitivity

That's awesome to hear! Sometimes it can feel so much easier to just run away or hide so you should feel so proud of yourself for pushing through :D

TooMuchPain

TooMuchPain

I’m glad you had a good day. It’s important to be happy at work.