• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Social anxiety and sexuality

M

McSazzle

Hi,
I have social anxiety and it is caused by confusion about my sexuality. I had a psychotic breakdown in March where I thought everyone was trying to out me as a lesbian. I have a paranoia around my sexuality which has resulted in social anxiety. I can’t cope with being in groups of women. I am ok with people on a 1 to 1 basis but can’t cope with groups. I don’t think I am a lesbian but have a paranoia that everyone thinks I am a lesbian. Has anyone else had this paranoia around there sexuality? X

J

Justfrozen

Hi,
I have social anxiety and it is caused by confusion about my sexuality. I had a psychotic breakdown in March where I thought everyone was trying to out me as a lesbian. I have a paranoia around my sexuality which has resulted in social anxiety. I can’t cope with being in groups of women. I am ok with people on a 1 to 1 basis but can’t cope with groups. I don’t think I am a lesbian but have a paranoia that everyone thinks I am a lesbian. Has anyone else had this paranoia around there sexuality? X

J

Justfrozen

Why do you feel people believe you are a lesbian?

M

McSazzle

Why do you feel people believe you are a lesbian?
I am uncomfortable in groups of women as I think they think I am looking at them in a sexual way. I think that people notice me noticing women.

J

Justfrozen

Are you in many groups of men? Does the feeling change then?

M

McSazzle

I am more relaxed with groups of men. I am also anxious in groups of men and women.

J

Justfrozen

have you always felt like this, or is it because you are single. Did you feel like this when you were/ in a relationship?

jajingna

jajingna

It's one of the main features of my social anxiety -- worry about what others might be thinking. I don't know what to do about this worry. Really there is nothing that can be done. Others will think whatever they will.

M

McSazzle

I am married and a mother of 2. I had a psychotic break in my 20s where I came out as a lesbian. The psychotic break was caused by me taking amphetamine. I then met my husband and had 2 children. I am now 46. I had another psychotic break this year where I thought everyone was trying to out me as a lesbian. This psychotic break was caused by work place stress.I have suffered with social anxiety since my 20s.

M

McSazzle

It's one of the main features of my social anxiety -- worry about what others might be thinking. I don't know what to do about this worry. Really there is nothing that can be done. Others will think whatever they will.
I suppose the way forward is not to care about what people think x

M

McSazzle

Yes, if you could just turn off that fear of judgement it would make things easier. I can't find the "off switch."
I can’t either. All my problems relate to how people perceive me. I wish I didn’t care about what people think x

jajingna

jajingna

Could be that we have a loud "inner critic" putting us down a lot, so we believe others are doing the same?

M

McSazzle

I am just really paranoid. I wish I want so paranoid.