• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Social Anxiety and Gaming

M

MovieWatcher4

Hi, this issue is about my experience and feelings with my boyfriend’s friend group. I have social anxiety and depression.

This friend group has some good people that don’t bother me, and then it has a few people that make me extremely uncomfortable and give me an unsafe feeling even though we are speaking through an online voice chat. One of the guys makes fun of everyone and points out their flaws, including mine. I really don’t like this and I always feel awful and my anxiety shoots up to where I have a panic attack during the game we play. Not only do these remarks give me paranoia and fear, but the things they talk about really get to me. I have a fear of alcohol and drug consumption, but I have never consumed either besides prescription medication of course. When someone starts talking about drugs or alcohol I get nervous, and as the converation goes on I get a panic attack and want to flee from the chat, but usually it’s during a game so I’m stuck there scared and with my heart pounding. We all play League of a Legends together (online multiplayer), and it gets stressful sometimes. If I make one mistake I get extremely paranoid and feel judged. I’ve stopped playing with them, and I just wait for my boyfriend to be done playing with his friends for us to hangout alone. I can’t handle social situations with them, but I just want to be able to be normal and not worry about anything but my own gaming experience.

I hate that I can’t handle conversations or even simple jokes about consuming drugs or alcohol, and I hate that I can’t focus on the game because I’m so busy being paranoid about being judged by this group. I would like to get some advice on this if possible, and maybe some techniques to handle situations like these.

Thank You

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
:welcome:
Anything that causes me stress i avoid

arodi007

arodi007

well LoL is already a stressful game as the community is majority toxic and encourage others to do so.
not sure if that will help you giving you my experience but here it is:
i been playing mmo, and as a healer in pvp, people most of the time flame me for not doing the right job. i can get really frustrated and stress especially if there no close friends of mine in the team.
When i tried teaming up with one of my close friend, i get less mad and my friend often defend me against these kind of players.

Just to say that maybe you could try with other game like Rain, Trine and coop with these friends of yours and try to know them a bit better.
But ofc some might just be legitimate toxic, i had one friend of double face (nice and toxic) in LoL. It sure not easy to deal with.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
O Social anxiety and bad breath Social Anxiety Forum 4
S Social anxiety and in laws Social Anxiety Forum 7
A aav72's Social Anxiety poems #7 - "peoplephobic - part 1" Social Anxiety Forum 1
A aav72's Social Anxiety poems #6 - "the ugliest thing in the world" Social Anxiety Forum 2
Sloshiceangel Do i really have social anxiety? Social Anxiety Forum 18
Dav Any meds help with social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 13
M Social Anxiety at Work Social Anxiety Forum 8
S Social anxiety online + criticism Social Anxiety Forum 11
jajingna Why social anxiety can be a disorder Social Anxiety Forum 2
G What exposures can you do to overcome social anxiety? Social Anxiety Forum 35
i_must_be_mad Partner with severe social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 4
Henryk34 Looking for someone to message with about my social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 25
R what is a social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 7
A aav72's Social Anxiety poems #5 - "my opinion vs your opinion" Social Anxiety Forum 0
jamesj Anyone with Social anxiety and Avoidant personality disorder? Social Anxiety Forum 11
A aav72's Social Anxiety poems #4 - "a time to forgive" Social Anxiety Forum 0
A aav72's Social Anxiety poems #3 - i beg your pardon, miss "T" Social Anxiety Forum 5
W Social anxiety leads to general anxiety leads to depression Social Anxiety Forum 1
Sammyjames97 Tips for people with social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 7
M work..and social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 2
A aav72's Social Anxiety poems #2 - "pariah to you" Social Anxiety Forum 2
A aav72's Social Anxiety poems #1 - "i didn't ask you" Social Anxiety Forum 3
S I Want to Overcome my Social Anxiety but Can’t.... Social Anxiety Forum 8
OCDguy Addressing the fears of Social Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 1
N Social anxiety institute why aren’t more people talking about this. Social Anxiety Forum 20
D Made a video on best ways I've learned to defeat social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 2
Sam1305 Do i even have social anxiety ? Social Anxiety Forum 12
W Overcoming GAD & Social Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 4
OCDguy Beating Social Anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 12
T Anybody have advice on how to overcome social anxiety??? Social Anxiety Forum 11
T Social anxiety is crippling Social Anxiety Forum 10
L Social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 8
U Social anxiety and accommodation Social Anxiety Forum 4
A How can I help my friend overcome his social anxiety? Social Anxiety Forum 7
KyussEatsTheSun Social Anxiety - Overcoming Phobias Concept Social Anxiety Forum 4
jajingna Recognizing social anxiety in other people Social Anxiety Forum 8
B Is social anxiety ever really gone? Social Anxiety Forum 45
Talina social anxiety and low self-esteem, I’m slowly getting tired of it Social Anxiety Forum 16
B My social anxiety revelation Social Anxiety Forum 2
O I think I might have social anxiety and/or depression. Social Anxiety Forum 7
A Social anxiety and depression Social Anxiety Forum 1
D I can’t eat in my own house because of social anxiety Social Anxiety Forum 6
D Social anxiety controls my life and it makes me so depressed. Social Anxiety Forum 13
UpnDwn1978 Social anxiety at work Social Anxiety Forum 10
A Social anxiety heavily crippled my life and still do. Social Anxiety Forum 10
Q Ugliness and how shame is a form of social control Social Anxiety Forum 51
unseen Do you have a social mask? Social Anxiety Forum 2
OCDguy Social Confidence free masterclasses Social Anxiety Forum 2
D social phobia combined with extreme shyness Social Anxiety Forum 23
B Bad social skills Social Anxiety Forum 3