Social anxiety and drinking problems

C

Cat_nap

I always have to drink when hanging out with people because I have terrible anxiety. I don't even socialize when drinking is not involved. It is really getting in my way of enjoying life and losing weight.

Is anyone else like that? Does anyone else have that problem? How did you deal with it?

J

Jules5

U feel this to as a coping medication for socializing. I will drink three times as much when around others. Definitely not a good habit. I stopped drinking and then my anxiety rear its symptoms in another area-such as itching my arms all the time excessively till they bleed.

All I can stay is hang on tight and try not to drink too much in social settings-just hold on to the bottom of your chair like you are on a roller coaster ride.

Hope this helps

S

Skynet

I always have to drink when hanging out with people because I have terrible anxiety. I don't even socialize when drinking is not involved. It is really getting in my way of enjoying life and losing weight.

Is anyone else like that? Does anyone else have that problem? How did you deal with it?
The recommended limit of alcohol consumption is 2 drinks a day for men or 1 drink a day for women with 2 alcohol-free days a week. This should be sufficient to help you socialize. Stay within the limit; if you go over it, you're risking your health.

albie

albie

Join a gardening group if there is any. Anything involving work. I joined a couple. Don't have to talk to anyone during them.

J

Jules5

Try bottled water. I use to drink too much in social situations-I started using
water bottles. Sometimes when I really panic
I find that at home I opened 10 bottles of water due to stress did not even drink em.

F

Fallingfromthetop

You cannot get better at things you do not practice, in this case socializing without drinking. Its not an easy thing to do as its social dogma, also being sober when everyone else is drunk can be hard to enjoy as the dirtiness of this drug becomes more apparent. As with any other drug you get dependent on its affects to do certain things. Alcohol the way it works enhances anxiety in the long run due to many reasons, health, looks, self esteem etc. The best way is simply to stop drinking and challenge yourself, the first time will be rough, the first 10 or 20 times will be hard, eventually you will build confidence without this drug but it takes time. As you get better health and look better cause alcohol isn't frequently in your system the easier it will get. You also get the added benefit of not having to deal with anxiety caused by making a fool of yourself when drunk. If going completely clean is to hard try drinking less and less. Slowly cut down until you can get by on like 2 drinks in one night. Then hold of the first drink as long as possible and eventually maybe you can deal without it. I know its very hard cause the dogma is to meet closest friends before you even get to main part to pre drink so you are already intoxicated when arriving and then drink even more. In my experience you make much better decisions if you ain't drunk or not as drunk, you increase chances to actually find a good partner if you sober up a bit. You have lots to gain but its a rough road getting of your addictions. And yes you are addicted and alcohol is a very addictive substance (particularly tied to anxiety and socializing), that is why so many young people drink everytime they socialize. Going clean straight up is rough and hard but also best. Cutting down also works but not for everyone as one drink leads to another as so it goes.

Alcohol is a free ticket to get off anxiety but it also doesn't help you become better at it without it. In fact it makes you worse without it.

Everyone is afraid and anxious doing things we haven't done before. In your case you haven't socialized as an adult without this drug. There is only one way and its going through the anxiety without the drug until your mind learns how to enjoy socializing without it. The first time dancing at a party without alcohol will feel so awkward and rough but after you done it 20 times it will only feel a bit rough the first 5 seconds, once in the zone your practiced to handled without alcohol so many times before the anxiety will be gone. But you gotta practice without the drug there is no other way to improve.