• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Social anxiety and dating

A

Alianne

I have social anxiety and it makes me extremely nervous about dating. I know most people get nervous at the start of a new relationship but this anxiety is all consuming. Mostly I’m worried about what my family and friends would think of the person I choose to date and what that might say about me. People’s questions and opinions I also find to be stressful. It feels easier to stay single, but I do want to date and eventually get married. Ive barely dated at all, so I’m sure the lack of experience is part of it. Recently I’ve started hanging out with this guy from my college that I like and I think we might officially start dating. I’m afraid that I’ll sabotage the relationship bc of my anxiety making it so uncomfortable for me to continue dating. Anyone else have this problem or any advice for me?

O

Orangeade

I have social anxiety and it makes me extremely nervous about dating. I know most people get nervous at the start of a new relationship but this anxiety is all consuming. Mostly I’m worried about what my family and friends would think of the person I choose to date and what that might say about me. People’s questions and opinions I also find to be stressful. It feels easier to stay single, but I do want to date and eventually get married. Ive barely dated at all, so I’m sure the lack of experience is part of it. Recently I’ve started hanging out with this guy from my college that I like and I think we might officially start dating. I’m afraid that I’ll sabotage the relationship bc of my anxiety making it so uncomfortable for me to continue dating. Anyone else have this problem or any advice for me?
I have the same problem. I get anxiety about everything and it stops me from dating because i constantly think about the what ifs. I would like to have someone in my life, but the constant worrying makes it so hard

L

LokiPokey75

Hi Alianne,

I've suffered with social anxiety all my life and it's made it very difficult to meet guys. I was born with a facial tumor on my face, and while I've had 11 reconstructive surgeries, the psychological scars have never fully healed. After getting rejected at school, I stopped believing anybody would actually want to be around me. Sadly, I've carried that with me my whole life.

I don't know your situation, but I just want you to know you are definitely not alone. Many of us here are dealing with social anxiety, all the more challenging with Covid thrown into the mix. Learn to be okay with whatever the outcome is in your relationship with this guy, romantic or not. Remember life (and love) is an experiment. No matter what happens, there's no failure; only learning and growing. I wish you the best!

Michelle Kelly

Michelle Kelly

You're definitely not alone. I've never been in a relationship because I'd be constantly worrying about what the other person really thought about me. Am I too quiet? Am I too strange? Could the other person start to stray eventually? It would be easier for someone like me to fall in love with someone who was already a friend - so they already know something about me - then to try and have a relationship with a total stranger.

Some people find their soul mate in their 50's and 60's after being single for all that time or after leaving an unhappy marriage, so it's never too late. :)

pesslmist32

pesslmist32

I am 32 years old, I have never had a girlfriend, I have social anxiety and erythrophobia, I hope this situation will be resolved, but I know that as long as we stay at home, nothing will be solved without effort, nothing can be solved, this applies to every problem,Stay strong ,