• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

sobriety's overrated!

C

cally75

Hey all.
So. 2 days with no drink or cigs...and I'm. ...Bored senseless!

Healthy & well, eating properly again, just so bored
I don't seem to get withdrawals (don't drink/smoke that much anyway)
It's just been nice waking up last 2 days with a clear head, up at 7am, breakfast, do my housework etc.

I've proved to myself I can do this easy
Guess the boredom gets me. I've always got bored easy.
There's pro's & cons to being sober...actually no, there's only pro's! Today I feel...normal.

Gajolene

Gajolene

I found when first giving up my drinking and smoking green as an ongoing habit that I was "bored" too. I also went into depression for about 6 months. I was just so used to relying on the what I call "the fake happy" as a day to day. That once I stopped, it was just as you said boredom, an unease as to what the hell do I do now. It's wasn't just the booze and weed I needed to give up but the habits I had gotten used to doing needed changing. I needed to discover alternative things which I could find joy in doing. I have no patience getting into large projects, and notoriously bad for sticking with things so I started out with small things that could be accomplished quickly. I found I had a knack for a few things I could really enjoy. Did take time to figure it out though.
Two days is not long enough to really know what the full benefits of quitting or limiting will be. You may be in for an emotional roller coaster over the next few months if you stick with it. Just adding I never gave up completely, I do still indulge from time to time, but the instances are much much less than what they were. I treat myself to beer one weekend a month usually when drinking company has come to visit. The green I can go without altogether but rarely may accept a puff if offered now. Cigarrettes is my last habit to give up and that one hardest for me and still ongoing in attempts

Last edited:
MagicJay

MagicJay

I first started binge drinking to cope with my problems it was my escape from reality, this move on to me abusing stimulants drugs, which I wasted a lot of money on all I ever thought about was when I next could escape this world where I could feel nothing but been on top of the world worse part was what goes up must come down and the come downs made everything 100x worse.

I haven't touch drink in 2 years don't miss it never really enjoyed drinking, I have touch drugs in about 8 months but before that one time was like 6 months, sometimes I think about how it allowed me to escape and get the urge but I need stay clean I feel so much better without them.

If you like watching things find some big series with a lot of episodes will keep you busy for a while :).

Jimny

Jimny

Well done Cally, two days is two days. As far as boredom is concerned you probably need distraction.
Do you have Netflix, like to read, good at DIY? You could try to make a written routine to follow, must say I am terrible at this and get sidetracked easily.

E

Elle-X

Hey Cally, the first few days must be the toughest so you are already reaching milestones. I get bored really easily too so can sympathise there. Have you thought about taking up a hobby? If you're saving money by not buying cigarettes and alcohol then it would be nice to treat yourself, not only to relieve the boredom but to congratulate yourself too. Hope you continue to feel well :)

B

blue spark

Don't try give both drink and smoke up all at once,your doomed to failure.Youv'e gotta have some pleasure.
Hey all.
So. 2 days with no drink or cigs...and I'm. ...Bored senseless!

Healthy & well, eating properly again, just so bored
I don't seem to get withdrawals (don't drink/smoke that much anyway)
It's just been nice waking up last 2 days with a clear head, up at 7am, breakfast, do my housework etc.

I've proved to myself I can do this easy
Guess the boredom gets me. I've always got bored easy.
There's pro's & cons to being sober...actually no, there's only pro's! Today I feel...normal.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hey, Well done cally74.

C

cally75

I found when first giving up my drinking and smoking green as an ongoing habit that I was "bored" too. I also went into depression for about 6 months. I was just so used to relying on the what I call "the fake happy" as a day to day. That once I stopped, it was just as you said boredom, an unease as to what the hell do I do now. It's wasn't just the booze and weed I needed to give up but the habits I had gotten used to doing needed changing. I needed to discover alternative things which I could find joy in doing. I have no patience getting into large projects, and notoriously bad for sticking with things so I started out with small things that could be accomplished quickly. I found I had a knack for a few things I could really enjoy. Did take time to figure it out though.
Two days is not long enough to really know what the full benefits of quitting or limiting will be. You may be in for an emotional roller coaster over the next few months if you stick with it. Just adding I never gave up completely, I do still indulge from time to time, but the instances are much much less than what they were. I treat myself to beer one weekend a month usually when drinking company has come to visit. The green I can go without altogether but rarely may accept a puff if offered now. Cigarrettes is my last habit to give up and that one hardest for me and still ongoing in attempts
Good morning/evening you, whatever it is where u are?!

F

fair&square75

Well done Cally �� I went from heavy regular drinking to just weekends,took a long time to do though..can totally relate to the boredom,but the more u go without drink,the easier the boredom gets,now I get bored I still think of drink but the urge to go an get it has well and truly gone...one of the hardest things I've had to do so far but well worth it...just need to try give up smoking next x

C

cally75

Well done Cally, two days is two days. As far as boredom is concerned you probably need distraction.
Do you have Netflix, like to read, good at DIY? You could try to make a written routine to follow, must say I am terrible at this and get sidetracked easily.
Alright mate?
No I don't have Netflix, or broadband. I'm on my galaxy tab so do have itv player, 4od etc. If I get bored, I can watch whatever. It's 4G & have unlimited downloads. Not as fast as broadband but if there's nothing on tv, I can just pick what I wanna watch

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
i drink at nights mostly homebrew, remember one psychiatrist decades ago telling my mother it was a good thing as it gave me a hobby, still use the heating mat i got as a xmas present

Was thinking it probably does make me more paranoid anxious and depressed, i know it didn't help when i worked hangover etc

Cameron is talking about extending the requirement of people to seek help or have their benefits cut to those on the sick as well as those on jsa, makes me feel nervous

As i told the gp i regularly get woken up in the middle of the night and been woken up from sleeping pills would be hell, i argue alcohol is less harmful than sleeping pills, i've even had a psychiatrist say that

Gajolene

Gajolene

I stick with Solarmovie.is it has all my shows,movies and can watch them on the galaxy tab as well as computer free. :)
http://www.solarmovie.is/
don't use the solarmovie .ag site link that ones a highjacked copy of the real site at .is .

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Ive been having thoughts and urges to take back up the destructive habits.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
just been watching question time apparently mentally ill people like me are drinking to handle our problems because services have been cut

N

natalie

Hi all,

Well, I'm gald I have been just under GP about 7 years now, being that I am on med, I know I can't properly drink, althouigh having said that, I am in a benefit support section which helps people financially, on benefits, and who are not able to seek work - through no fault of their own, our own, and to prevent my mental health anxeties to flare up in the first place, I always listen to music, virtually all day (I live at home with parents, and brother - I don't have to worry about answering the phone much through the day, and I am mostly on email) and also, I workout given the chance on a weekly, basis throughout the year. I do feel sorry though for those cuts who have affected mentally ill sufferers, for instance, I'm very annoyed still, that back in 2012, the one and only temporary care break place I always had been to since 2006, has in fact since been closed down, from 2012. So that has very much annoyed me. With my strong interests of working out, listening to music whilst needleworking, prevents any certain anxieties, to flare, unless my mum probes me about temporary care break places again, she's been quiet for a time on that front, I always prefer to be doing some sort of activity/creativity, and again, knowing that I can't properly drink, and doing these sort of activities, really does help me to overcome that near thought of to drink feeling, mind you, I do feel a bit envious regarding religious festivals, as I am on med, and certainly can't have proper religious style wine. at these times, have to have if at all grape juice drink instead.

I have and always will be a posittive and determined character, so in a big way, I'm relieved I am just under GP service care, and long may that continue.

Natalie.