• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

So now i also have agoraphobia !!!

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I went to my therapy session today and she asked about my difficulty getting there. I explained how bad i felt and she said its in your notes your agoraphobic. I tell her I’m not and could quite happily walk on an empty field.

Apparantly thats not agoraphobia at all and its very complex . Not going on public transport , avoiding leaving the house for days at a time avoiding shopping and social events like going to the pub is all about agoraphobia. The anxiety and palpitations is all a reaction to this.

I looked it up on the NHS website when i got back and it described me completely . Something ive been denying for years now seems correct. So now thats something else to add to my never ending list of problems

TulipIceCream

TulipIceCream

I think agoraphobia means fear of the crowded marketplace. I had agoraphobia after my sexual assault. I did not want to be in a crowd. I was terrified I would see my attacker or someone else would attack me. I could not even go grocery shopping in the day. I would find a 24 hour shop and go past 11PM when there is no traffic. I would walk far out of my way to take a less crowded route on the train so I would not be surrounded by others so closely. I feel like if I lived in the middle of nowhere, with cameras everywhere to be sure there is no one anywhere, I could walk freely out in a beautiful meadow and be happy sitting there in nature, under the sky, breathing fresh air, all by myself. It's not a fear of going outside per say, but fear of "crowded marketplace" I think. that's how it was explained to me.

1578503808037.png

Passionflower

Passionflower

Wow, from what I read on that NHS website I am definitely agoraphobic!

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
To be honest, I thought agoraphobia was more about wide open spaces - appreciate the info and a chance to learn more about it. x

Lone_wanderer

Lone_wanderer

Well I've been Agoraphobic for the last 9 years after my last psychotic episode and I never knew! Thanks Daffy, shows what bloody sue my CMHT are,. Only just starting to come out of it thanks to meditation and a change in medication.

Z

Zoe1

maybe there are different kinds of agoraphobia
because some people are just simply unable to leave the house
regardless if its in the countryside or town

they try to build up the confidence
by going as far as the front gate,
and then see if they can get to the post box
and etc

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
maybe there are different kinds of agoraphobia
because some people are just simply unable to leave the house
regardless if its in the countryside or town

they try to build up the confidence
by going as far as the front gate,
and then see if they can get to the post box
and etc
I do agree I always thought of agoraphobics as people who found it difficult to be outside and needed the confines of the house.
I think the difference between social anxiety agoraphobics and general social anxiety is that with S/A the panic starts when your outside. But with S/A agoraphobics the panic starts in the house its the fear of the situation outside, cos sometime it can take me 2 hours to pluck up courage to get out of the house. And from groups ive been involved in for S/A it doesnt affect them the same

Z

Zoe1

interesting points here Daffy

because as someone pointed out
agoraphobia is fear of the market place
when the word was originally invented

but yes these days it tends to mean
fear of leaving the house

I have a feeling this can improve for you
with your therapy going on

another one of those things
we need to be patient with ourselves about

:hug5:

TulipIceCream

TulipIceCream

I was diagnosed as agoraphobic after I was sexually assaulted because I was #1 afraid to go outside my home, even to check the mail because I was afraid someone would appear and attack me, but also #2 with my mother I could go to grocery store but afraid to get out of the car because I was afraid someone might grab me on the way into the store, on the way out, or grope me in line or while shopping.

Amaterasu

Amaterasu

I'm currently doing a course on awareness of mental health and in the section on phobias it says social based phobias can lead to agoraphobia (to varying degrees). It's like a secondary phobia develops from the first one.
Fear of how social interactions may go can lead to fear of being in places where there is increased chances of having social interactions. Home can feel like the safest place because there is the place we feel like we have more control. At least for me i know that i feel safest at home because i don't have to interact with anyone if i don't want to. And when people i don't expect come to my door i feel quite uncomfortable and then the social anxiety kicks in and i can end up ruminating on how awkward i feel the interaction is and feel immediate shame. Which is exhausting.

I always thought it meant people couldn't leave their house and didn't realise there were degrees to it.

Z

Zoe1

thats terrible Tulip
an awful feeling when something has terrified you like that
and then you fear it happening again
I can really relate to it

:hug5: :goodluck: :love: