• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

So many phobias...

jajingna

jajingna

You ever see a list of phobias? There seems to be no end to the things people might fear, as odd as some of these fears may seem to most people. Even the common ones can be tough to understand. A problem, in my opinion, is that people will try to give you a logical explanation as to why your fear makes no sense. But you already know this. What these people don't understand is that the fear does not give a damn about logic. Logic has value and may help you form ways to reduce fear, perhaps, but by itself seems practically useless in containing fear.

Anyway, why did I make this thread? Oh yeah, was thinking some people are "anti-intellectual" and wondered if there might be a phobia related to that. Well, of course there is.

So, we have epistemophobia --- a fear of knowledge
And sophophobia --- fear of learning

Are they real phobias? Not sure. Maybe very rare.

UnderR

UnderR

Epistemophobia might be real, there's a lot of information going around, hard to separate from what's good and what's bad. Some people probably believe that it's better to not know some things, either that or they're afraid of information overload.

Sophophobia on the other hand, though I'm not one to judge people, and I don't mean this in a condescending manner at all, it lowkey feels like someone's excuse to not learn anything either because they're lazy to learn or choose not to. Dunno, that's my take on it anyway.

SoftRain

SoftRain

I fear driving!!! I drive too, I dont care how much I drive I fear it.

jajingna

jajingna

The other day I saw this one: Syngenesophobia -- fear of relatives. I believe this one exists for sure. I got some of that going on. Or if it isn't just fear, I'm not sure what it is, maybe more like an aversion to certain people because I don't like them. Reasons for not liking them: quite a few, but just generally find them hard to accept I guess, find them rude, arrogant, condescending, judgemental, smug and ignorant too.