• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

So lost...

P

Paulhamilton81

I feel lost about where to turn my doctors is rubbish and doesn’t get how I feel once he knew my heart health was ok he just shrugged me off and said it’s in your head but I’m feeling worse and worse each day.
I’m constantly on edge, I just had a phone call and was Arranging some work with my customer I felt happy to be talking but all of a sudden I came over breathless and weak.
I’m only 39 and have 3 children and I’m not being a good dad at the moment or the best I can be at least.
I feel so lost and don’t know where to turn I’m frightened of my symptoms thinking my heart will stop.

I’m guessing it all comes from loosing my dad to a heart attack when I was 24, I watched as paramedics came past trying to resuscitate him without success.
All my life since then I’ve told myself that’s how I’ll die and now I’m so scared my children will see me die the same way.
My chest aches each day and I get palpitations. I’ve had 5 day ecg, bloods and echo done all come back perfect.

my doc gave me propanlol but I think that’s for panic I don’t really get panic I don’t think..
I just want to feel happy and normal again. Just had a palpitation as I wrote this (more of a thud like a skipped beat)

I’ve recently given up caffeine and booze and energy drinks (3 months ago)
I did have a few vodkas this Saturday night just gone I wonder if that’s to blame as I’ve felt rubbish since but it’s Wednesday today I assumed it would have left my body by now.

jajingna

jajingna

Yeah that's a long time to feel the effects of just three shots? I'm guessing.

jajingna

jajingna

Sounds like still a long stretch to feel it

P

Paulhamilton81

So it must just be my current mental state then. Guess I need help.
I’m having CBT Friday maybe I’ll go to docs as well. I’m desperate to feel normal
🤷🏼‍♂️😔😔

jajingna

jajingna

Maybe it's just a long hangover? I had once lasted a bloody week back 2-3 months ago, but I did drink a ton over several days, and it was first time I drank in two years. And I'm getting old.

P

Paulhamilton81

Maybe it's just a long hangover? I had once lasted a bloody week back 2-3 months ago, but I did drink a ton over several days, and it was first time I drank in two years. And I'm getting old.
I’m hoping and assuming it’s messed my brain chemistry up but I don’t know, I’m an electrician not a doctor and all this is new to me so I have no idea I’m trying to get my head around it all. Makes me feel so frightened when I have chest ache and flutters and hot flushes. (I’m male by the way) if my brain would be convinced it’s not my heart then I’d be ok I think. 🤷🏼‍♂️

ParxSP

ParxSP

So it must just be my current mental state then. Guess I need help.
I’m having CBT Friday maybe I’ll go to docs as well. I’m desperate to feel normal
🤷🏼‍♂️😔😔
It sounds to me as if you would be helped with CBT. Your counsellor will explain why you feel this way and give you tools to cope when times are tough. Please keep us all updated and good luck.

P

Paulhamilton81

It sounds to me as if you would be helped with CBT. Your counsellor will explain why you feel this way and give you tools to cope when times are tough. Please keep us all updated and good luck.
Thank you

bpd2020

bpd2020

To have witness your dad have a heart attack sounds very traumatic. I think this trauma could be causing your anxiety and racing heart. I am glad you are going to start CBT. Hopefully that will give you some techniques on how to deal with the anxious thoughts.

It is difficult to experience anxiety all of a sudden but please know how you are feeling is understandable. You may also benefit from antianxiety medication. I hope you can talk to your doctor and get some support.

P

Paulhamilton81

To have witness your dad have a heart attack sounds very traumatic. I think this trauma could be causing your anxiety and racing heart. I am glad you are going to start CBT. Hopefully that will give you some techniques on how to deal with the anxious thoughts.

It is difficult to experience anxiety all of a sudden but please know how you are feeling is understandable. You may also benefit from antianxiety medication. I hope you can talk to your doctor and get some support.
Thank you that’s made me feel better I just keep panicking thinking my chest pains are heart problems but I’ve had 5 day ecg and an echo and bloods and all fine and looked at by two heart doctors but it’s stil not enough for me.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Thank you that’s made me feel better I just keep panicking thinking my chest pains are heart problems but I’ve had 5 day ecg and an echo and bloods and all fine and looked at by two heart doctors but it’s stil not enough for me.
Anxiety causes the heart to race but this would not show on tests as it is not caused by a condition of your heart. I think it is good to know the tests show your heart is healthy.

JessisMe

JessisMe

What if instead of treating your symptoms like a heart attack instead you treated them like anxiety.
Try and clear your mind of any thoughts related to having a heart attack. You have been told that the chances of this happening are very little. I have had symptoms like you had, went through the tests and the ekg and was told the same thing. I believed it. It took about a week for the symptoms to stop. But I was doing everything I could to put the issue out of my mind and to not exacerbate them. The symptoms went away and did not bother me again until another bout of high stress and anxiety. The second time they didn’t last long because I knew what they were, what they were caused by and didn’t stress out about it. Maybe a similar more relaxed approach would work for you?

P

Paulhamilton81

Anxiety causes the heart to race but this would not show on tests as it is not caused by a condition of your heart. I think it is good to know the tests show your heart is healthy.
Yea I’m happy for it to be anxiety so I can fix that but my head is telling me I’m about to drop dead of a heart attack despite what all the tests have shown and two docs have told me and my wife Almost shouting at me that it’s fine I can’t shake the feelings that it’s going to stop all my anxiety feelings are heart and chest related too apart from dizzy and tight muscles and feeling detached from everything and not being able to feel much (anger, happiness etc) this is all very new to me I’m 39 and never been aware of any anxiety issue before so I’m learning as I go. Thank you so much for all your help. Means a lot

P

Paulhamilton81

What if instead of treating your symptoms like a heart attack instead you treated them like anxiety.
Try and clear your mind of any thoughts related to having a heart attack. You have been told that the chances of this happening are very little. I have had symptoms like you had, went through the tests and the ekg and was told the same thing. I believed it. It took about a week for the symptoms to stop. But I was doing everything I could to put the issue out of my mind and to not exacerbate them. The symptoms went away and did not bother me again until another bout of high stress and anxiety. The second time they didn’t last long because I knew what they were, what they were caused by and didn’t stress out about it. Maybe a similar more relaxed approach would work for you?
I really wish I could I’m desperately trying to tell myself my heart is fine but it seems easier said than done.
thank you tho it means a lot taking time to reply to me and try and make me feel better.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Anxiety Forum 1
M Anxiety Forum 23
L Anxiety Forum 9
X Anxiety Forum 1