So I went to A&E again on wednesday

L

Laudanum

I have been suffering from health anxiety recently (my back story is post 6 of someone else's post - Severe anxiety of heart every single day ruining my life please help me and respond please - I am not the original poster). Summary - I had chest tightness and breathlessness, which turned out not to be a heart attack, according to the bloods. They thought it was likely a virus.

Since my heart concerns, I have been feeling tingling and numbness in both legs and feet (for about three weeks), although not constantly - it doesn't happen all the time.

On wednesday I felt the tingling get worse, as I was driving home, which spread to my fingers, chin and neck. I made the decision to drive on to the next junction after mine, where there is the hospital I was admitted to three weeks ago. I tried to see a GP, but the triage nurse referred me to A&E.

After four hours or so waiting I got to see a doctor who thoroughly examined me and said, due to having a strong pulse in my toes and checking my legs he ruled out DVT, vascular problems and (for some reason I can't remember - because it is not constant?) neurological issues, thinking it was anxiety, which he confirmed with his senior doctor.

I have seen five or so doctors during the last three weeks, all of whom believe it was originally a virus (white cell count was raised), including three blood tests. The most recent one the doctor went through with me on wednesday night, saying the results were better than his, and that they included liver and kidney function tests. All were fine, apparently.

During this time I accept that I might be having panic attacks caused by anxiety. I understand they can come on even though you feel ostensibly calm.

However, my question is - is it possible to have symptoms (such as my legs and feet) for such a long time (it does go at times), even when I'm not thinking about it and not actually having a panic attack? Can anxiety in the back of my mind cause physical symptoms for such a long period of time, even when I am relatively calm?

Many thanks for any thoughts.

A

Anxietyguy29

I have been dealing with anxiety for almost 3 months and started out basically the same as yours and my tingling anxious feeling comes and goes as well for 3 months now. It can come out of the blue and everything. Hope this helps!

L

Laudanum

Thanks both, but can you get almost constant physical symptoms when you aren't having a panic attack? Mr Google only describes symptoms at any one point in time. From what AnxietyGuy is suggesting, they can come and go over a period of time, even when apparently calm?

A

Anxietyguy29

Yes, I get them even when I feel calm and im not in a panic/anxiety attack at that moment.

L

Laudanum

They are annoying, aren't they? I still not convinced I'm dying of something, though.

L

Laudanum

Had another experience like wednesday driving home tonight after a relatively stable day. I drove through it and the symptoms subsided.

S

Sara_1978

Can totally relate to this.
I like you didn’t believe anxiety could cause physical symptoms when you are perfectly calm....was convinced I had something like ms!
Joining this forum and chatting to people going thru the same has helped me so much as I can now (most of the time) put any symptoms down to anxiety and that stops the thoughts from getting out of control.

L

Lunar Lady

Thanks both, but can you get almost constant physical symptoms when you aren't having a panic attack? Mr Google only describes symptoms at any one point in time. From what AnxietyGuy is suggesting, they can come and go over a period of time, even when apparently calm?
I went through a long phase of anxiety attacks following a bereavement. Yes, they can come on when you're completely relaxed or happy and absorbed in something else. I had a severe attack at a concert - happily singing along one minute and convinced I was choking to death the next.

I had an attack on holiday - half-asleep on a sun lounger - taxi to a hospital minutes later.

I woke up in the night to panic attacks....they came on when I was curled up on the sofa watching a movie - nowhere is sacred!

The 'state of anxiety' is there, in the background, regardless of what you are thinking or doing.

In my case, I had to give attention to the grief I hadn't expressed and deal with the emotions I had buried. As soon as I started to express myself and process those feelings, the anxiety attacks disappeared forever.

You need to get to the subconscious root of what is troubling you. It could be a past event or constant stress in your life that is putting you on overload. The good news is this is temporary.

One of the problems is that you start to have acute anxiety about having an anxiety attack...I remember being so afraid of going to bed or driving alone in case it started behind the wheel. This fear triggers the tight throat...numb face...racing heart...feeling of not being able to breathe etc so it's really important to get control of the attacks without external intervention. Once you can, you relax because you know you can handle it. When the fear goes...the episodes become less frequent...until finally it stops.

Loads of love to you guys - it's horrible but you WILL come out of it. :hug: xxx

L

Laudanum

Yesterday I wasn't feeling too bad - went out with people and did things, although my numb legs were constantly there.

In the afternoon I felt the tingling spread to my fingers and neck again, but this time it went to my lower lip too. The neck and finger tingling went off after a while, but for the next 2 hours my lower lip was numb (although I could feel it), and hard to close. I thought I was having a stroke, although there were none of the other signs.

Is this likely to have been another anxiety attack? I think I was googling symptoms at the time.

L

Laudanum

Later I finally got my exercise tolerance test results: 'The resting ECG does show peak T waves anteriolaterally, but I'm glad to say there are no signs of any cardiac ischaemia on the test...Normal heart rate and BP response and no ischaemic ECG changes seen. The test is reasurring, so we have not arranged to see him back in the clinic.'

Think I will have to discuss it with my doctor.

S

Sara_1978

That’s great news re the test results, hope that puts you’re mind at rest.
I would say definitely they are symptoms caused by anxiety, I’m suffering with them all the time...some times I’m strong enough to ignore them but others they send me into a panic attack. X

L

Laudanum

I think I'm reasonably ok with the heart issues, I just wish I could beat this leg thing. If I could be sure it was anxiety and nothing serious I would ignore it.

H

Helen1960

I think I'm reasonably ok with the heart issues, I just wish I could beat this leg thing. If I could be sure it was anxiety and nothing serious I would ignore it.
I honestly believe anxiety can do whatever it wants both physically and mentally.

We interpret it according to our fears. It is horrible.

My anxiety is, I think, my fear of mental illness.

I have had brief fears of skin cancer and ms but even that is tied in with my fear of mental illness.