• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

So, I suspect CPTSD

C

Coolname

Hi

I've been working on my MH seriously for some years.

I have never been diagnosed with anything. I am aware that CPTSD can only be diagnosed* after an in depth interview with a suitably qualified professional but I now suspect that CPTSD what I have been struggling with.

I say suspect because 'denial' again but the truth is I (un)comfortably meet the reputable academic diagnostic criteria I have found online. I have also found that it is only on sub-forums for CPTSD that I (finally) see my experience of life being described by others.

A diagnosis is only valuable to me if it results in proper treatment; however, my memories of childhood are so vague that I doubt EMDR would be effective. It is more a totality of experience than specific memories that I need to address.

I have previously had therapy that focused on identifying and integrating the different parts of my personality, the psychotherapist also helped me to identify and process emotion. That helped hugely. I am also very familiar with CBT and mindfulness which are also a massive help.

I am continuing to explore my childhood and my emotions via open-ended counselling and finally I am starting to no longer see myself as a person who needs to be fixed, who needs to be better. Instead I am starting to see my intrinsic worth.

My difficulty now is where to go from here now that counselling is coming to the end of its usefulness. I still have a number of symptoms significantly impacting my life.

Has anyone benefited from specific treatments for CPTSD? Particularly those that help with self-soothing the parts of you that are always defensive, always on the alert?

*There does not appear to yet be a globally accepted method of diagnosis . This condition is not yet in the DSM but it is in the latest WHO classification of illnesses.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Hi there.

I know many people think IFS(internal family systems) therapy is helpful for working with those parts of self.

If you do a Google search you'll find lots of info.There's also lots of books on Amazon.

C

Coolname

Thank you for replying!

I did briefly hear of IFS on Sunday and the Protector - Firefighter model makes a lot of sense. Your recommendation means a lot. I will check IFS out in depth.

C

Coolname

I'm now armed with a counsellor who doesn't do more that basic person centered stuff but we gel really well and she is happy to follow my lead. I have just received copies of The Body Keeps The Score, CPTSD, Surviving to Thriving. The book from the originator of IFS therapy and a workbook to use alongside it. Hopefully the bunch will give me enough ideas to take further steps in improving my life.

Acorn

Acorn

Have you heard of net, narrative exposure therapy? That is sometimes used when emdr is deemed inappropriate for whatever reason

C

Coolname

Have you heard of net, narrative exposure therapy? That is sometimes used when emdr is deemed inappropriate for whatever reason
Thanks! Just looked it up. Interesting but probably not ideal for me right now. I have just completed a long period of counselling where I went through my life story and connected with the emotions and marked the relevant ages. While not the same, it is close enough for me to leave it for now.

Acorn

Acorn

Thanks! Just looked it up. Interesting but probably not ideal for me right now. I have just completed a long period of counselling where I went through my life story and connected with the emotions and marked the relevant ages. While not the same, it is close enough for me to leave it for now.
Ah yes that does sound similar.

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

I'm now armed with a counsellor who doesn't do more that basic person centered stuff but we gel really well and she is happy to follow my lead. I have just received copies of The Body Keeps The Score, CPTSD, Surviving to Thriving. The book from the originator of IFS therapy and a workbook to use alongside it. Hopefully the bunch will give me enough ideas to take further steps in improving my life.
I'm happy you're on your way to healing now.

Good luck with all of it.

Hugs

C

Coolname

I'm happy you're on your way to healing now.

Good luck with all of it.

Hugs
Thanks Sunny! Healing is the hope. For me, there is no 'healed' place, just a journey where I slowly improve my experience of life. Each year is better than the last. :)

S

stillwildlady

Hi Coolname, I can vouch for Body Keeps the Score. A fascinating read even if you arent sure (as I’m not) whether it is CPTSD or not..
What is Surviving to Thriving about? is it a CPTSD focus?
(You’ll have to let me know if its any good!)

SunnyDaze

SunnyDaze

Hi Coolname, I can vouch for Body Keeps the Score. A fascinating read even if you arent sure (as I’m not) whether it is CPTSD or not..
What is Surviving to Thriving about? is it a CPTSD focus?
(You’ll have to let me know if its any good!)
I know you weren't asking me,but I have that book and it's a very good and helpful one about CPTSD.

C

Coolname

Four months later... time away from the stress of work is allowing me to experiment with self-care, including finally reading the books I got in February. Half way through The Body Keeps The Score. It's excellent so far and reinforces my self diagnosis of CPTSD. All the symptoms are so familiar.