So I had psychosis, is it ok if I drink alcohol

schizolanza

schizolanza

I started smoking when I turn 17 and got hospitalized close to my 18th birthday ....so I guess yeah my brain was developing
I don't think you should smoke or drink at all.

embleton

embleton

It's a CNS, of course, and may cause issues with lowering mood but only rarely excessive use would lead to psychosis. It's more its interaction with antipsychotics that causes drowsiness that is the issue but you'd not be operating machinery if drinking so cannot see an issue.

A

Anthony07

It's a CNS, of course, and may cause issues with lowering mood but only rarely excessive use would lead to psychosis. It's more its interaction with antipsychotics that causes drowsiness that is the issue but you'd not be operating machinery if drinking so cannot see an issue.
So you're saying it's fine as long as I don't do it excessively?

embleton

embleton

I've drunk alcohol with almost every antipsychotic in the BNF and haven't had an issue yet, even numerous glasses and a half bottle of spirits more than once.

About the most dangerous is coming off antipsychotics with a rebound psychosis.

embleton

embleton

Smoking is an issue for that lowers the effectiveness of the antipsychotic if you smoke heavily including cigarettes and tobacco; best to higher the dose in this case.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

Also there is some evidence that caffeine may increase the blood levels of clozapine and olanzapine.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

It means that if you take the antipsychotic meds clozapine or olanzapine(Zyprexa), then if you drink coffee or an energy drink that contains caffeine, then there might be more of the antipsychotic drug in your system, as if you took a larger dose. Effectively taking a larger dose of meds could possibly cause more side effects if you are not used to it. Theoretically it could also work the other way around. For example, if you drink a lot of coffee every day and you are stabilized on a certain dose of olanzapine or clozapine, then if you suddenly stop drinking coffee, you may develop less medication in your system from then on. This might cause an increase in psychotic symptoms and you may need your dose to be increased.

There is another drug named ziprasidone (Geodon) that you get a bigger dose of it absorbed into your system if you take it with food. I read that I might effectively get only half my dose if I take it on an empty stomach so my doctor told me I'm always supposed to take it with food.

A

Anthony07

It means that if you take the antipsychotic meds clozapine or olanzapine(Zyprexa), then if you drink coffee or an energy drink that contains caffeine, then there might be more of the antipsychotic drug in your system, as if you took a larger dose. Effectively taking a larger dose of meds could possibly cause more side effects if you are not used to it. Theoretically it could also work the other way around. For example, if you drink a lot of coffee every day and you are stabilized on a certain dose of olanzapine or clozapine, then if you suddenly stop drinking coffee, you may develop less medication in your system from then on. This might cause an increase in psychotic symptoms and you may need your dose to be increased.

There is another drug named ziprasidone (Geodon) that you get a bigger dose of it absorbed into your system if you take it with food. I read that I might effectively get only half my dose if I take it on an empty stomach so my doctor told me I'm always supposed to take it with food.
How about risperidone and alcohol/coffee?

L

linus

Risperidone is what my son takes (1,25mg/day) and his psychiatrist completly forbid him alcohool and coffee.. he is happy enough without them.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I never read about any interactions about risperidone and coffee. I have the Physician's Desk Reference, which is the the big red book all about medications and it said nothing about it in there. I look up all my medications in there to learn about them. As far as alcohol and risperidone I don't remember what the book said, but things on line are pretty much what other people have posted above, like don't operate machinery, or the two together might make you more sedated than either would have if you took them separately. Drinking too much alcohol by itself is bad for you whether you take risperidone or not.