So I had psychosis, is it ok if I drink alcohol

A

Anthony07

I was wonderin if there's a problem if I had a couple of drinks every now and then, I had psychosis a year ago.

tulipnjesse

tulipnjesse

Probably depends on your diagnosis or diagnoses and if you are on meds. Best to ask your psychiatrist.

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

I've read books about schizophrenia and most say it is best to avoid alcohol, but one said it is okay to have 1 or 2 drinks occasionally if you enjoy it and it helps you relax. That's the one I go by. It sounds reasonable.

E

Edinscotbrit

To be honest with you, your first port of call should your Doctor or Psychiatrist, a forum isn`t the best answer to a question like this. Much better to get a qualified response.

NWiddi

NWiddi

I go to a pool group with my Early Intervention Team on Fridays and some of the other clients that turn up will have a pint while they play and they're on medication for psychosis so one every now and then won't harm you but excessive drinking will send your neurotransmitters through the roof which is bad for psychosis.

L

linus

Excessive is actually a relative term.. 2 beers in a row I find excessive for such a case. 1 beer per week could be fine.

A

Anthony07

What triggered your episode? Was it the only one? A couple of drinks seem to be too much..
I used to have a few drinks occasionally, but what caused me psychosis was cannabis, I wasn't a heavy smoker either, I would smoke a bowl every once in a while...
And yes it was my first and only episode

L

linus

And btw: what kind of positive and negative symptoms you had and for how long did they last?

schizolanza

schizolanza

Don't know when you started smoking cannabis. Or if your brain was still developing.

L

linus

The brain is still developing until the age of 24.. not a good idea to smoke cannabis + for you in particular seems to be a gateway to mental illness (like for my son)

L

linus

So for how long did you have this FEP? What kind of symptoms and other effects did you experience?