• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

So here goes - an introduction

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
So not really sure what to say here. Have been suffering from depression for the last few months. Have been on anti-d's for the past month - first time I've been on medication but not the first time I've been depressed. This time I have felt worse than ever before, perhaps because I can't see a reason for this happening. I haven't yet seen any improvement from taking medication but I guess it's still early days. I saw my GP this morning but I just find it really difficult to open up enough to say what is really happening. Over the past month I have had increasingly disturbing, verging on suicidal thoughts. Over the past week I have been self-harming (cuts, bruises etc) which is something I have never done before. I didn't say any of this to my GP because it seems so shameful and frankly pathetic for the situation I am in - I am still managing to work (part time), look after my children etc - it's just taking more and more effort. I have been really angry at myself this morning for not having had the courage to say the things I needed to say - on the other hand, I am scared to admit it in case I open a can of worms and the repercussions are too great.

Anyway, I have been lurking on this board the last week or so and it seems a really friendly place so I look forward to being part of it. Thanks for reading this post.

M

Michael

Founding Member
I can empathise, I work full time but I am lucky that when I throw a 'wobbly' its half expected by my employers and they just leave me alone to get on with it.
I too find it very difficult to open up to anybody, still do even when its coming up to 15 years now that I've been medicated. This site helps me with that, you don't know me and I don't know you, yet I can still spill my heart out knowing that someone will listen.

You will get a lot of advise, but only you will know what is best for you, I would suggest that your doctor should not be taken out of the equation, let them know honestly how you are (I don't but my wife will steam in and tell him if I start to go too far one way).

The best thing (for me) has been to write and 'talk' on here, this may or may not work for you, I feel sure though that whatever does work someone here will have tried it.
The best thing though is that I don't feel on my own the same as I did before.

Michael

D

Dollit

Hi Rollinat - welcome to the forum. Can I just say one thing first to reassure you. Many, many people will have thoughts around suicide but that doesn't mean that you are suicidal or want to die or will die. It's just your head covering all the options.

I am worried that you've started to self-harm - it's something that better not done (I've been doing it years) as it's very difficult to stop.

Talking to your doctor won't open a can of worms but he will know exactly how you are and whether he should be doing something else to help. Medication can take quite a while to kick in as it has to build up in your system first.

Push comes to shove, just print your post off and show it to him or her. It doesn't matter how you communicate with your doctor as long as you do.

Anyway, glad you're here. :welcome:

Last edited:
Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Hey there, greetings!!!! Good to hear you had a positive view of the forum while you were lurking...

:welcome:

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Hi and :welcome: rollinat. I won't add to Michael and Dollit's excellent advice for now :).

Nick.

Yellowcoaching

Yellowcoaching

Founding Member
HI and welcome.
I think Dollit has covered the rest of what I would have said. You deserve support to get you through this and I wish you all the best.:welcome:

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply to me - it is great to feel welcome. I am sure I will get a lot out of being part of this forum. Thanks again.

JIBBAJABBA

JIBBAJABBA

Founding Member
Hi rollinat,

:welcome: to the forum.....

Hope you get some comfort in knowing we are all here to help!!

Jibba x

yakuza

yakuza

Founding Member
:welcome: rollinrat.

It sometimes takes a while for the anti-d's to settle down,hopefully you will be able to go back to your GP and talk about the situation.

Good luck with everything :)

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hello and :welcome: to MHF :)

angel666

angel666

Founding Member
HI

Im new here too but I have to say everyone seems realy friendly and have great advice! A big HUG :hug: Hope that makes you feel a bit better!