• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

So bad at maths...

P

PastelKittenX

Born in Portugal, living in the UK (Norfolk)
I'm doing an apprenticeship soon and I have to do a maths assessment. I used to be super good in high school and now I can barely do maths and solve maths problems. 😮💨
Gonna have to prepare for this test.

Zero One

Zero One

I'm doing an apprenticeship soon and I have to do a maths assessment. I used to be super good in high school and now I can barely do maths and solve maths problems. 😮💨
Gonna have to prepare for this test.
That happened to me when I went back to college--I studied all the math up to calculus. It was easy to adjust calculus one and two but calculus 3 almost killed me. My professor asked me what could it be, and he even taught some of the things combined with my major. I did a little better but in my opinion not really good enough and differential equations shot me to hell🤦‍♀️

NoNameRequired

NoNameRequired

That happened to me when I went back to college--I studied all the math up to calculus. It was easy to adjust calculus one and two but calculus 3 almost killed me. My professor asked me what could it be, and he even taught some of the things combined with my major. I did a little better but in my opinion not really good enough and differential equations shot me to hell🤦‍♀️
Integration was what made me graduate later than I should (And other things). It started normally and then the teacher went insane and did this insane things that still give me nightmares 4 years later. Now I forgot all of it, but I really don't care, I am not going to use it for anything in life.

R

Rizzano

There is actually a math disability, I forget the full name of it, but my wife has it.

sunlilies

sunlilies

I have dyscalculia. It's hard for me to count money, tell what time it is, and of course solve all kinds of math problems. In school I got bullied a lot because of this.

NoNameRequired

NoNameRequired

I have dyscalculia. It's hard for me to count money, tell what time it is, and of course solve all kinds of math problems. In school I got bullied a lot because of this.
Wait you got bullied for being bad at school? I thought people got bullied for being good at school.

sunlilies

sunlilies

Wait you got bullied for being bad at school? I thought people got bullied for being good at school.
Yes, I had teachers call me slow and tell me I wouldn't make it far in life.

To the person who posted this thread, good luck with your test. I hope everything goes well.

NoNameRequired

NoNameRequired

Yes, I had teachers call me slow and tell me I wouldn't make it far in life.

To the person who posted this thread, good luck with your test. I hope everything goes well.
Yes, some teachers can be [POOPY BUTTHOLES].

Zero One

Zero One

Integration was what made me graduate later than I should (And other things). It started normally and then the teacher went insane and did this insane things that still give me nightmares 4 years later. Now I forgot all of it, but I really don't care, I am not going to use it for anything in life.
This sounds really crazy

G

goodgollymiss

I struggled with abstract algebra. You just need to find the right tutor

Zero One

Zero One

I am sorry to hear that you have this and have experienced what you have. My disorder, whatever it is, causes me to forget short term and long term. Initially I was going to major in both Chemistry and Astrophysics, when I reached organic chemistry I had to drop it because I could not remember anything lol although I was good at the labs. I do find that I work better in the lab especially if I am not working with anyone else. Lately the numbers and letters I see are commonly not the real number. It causes me to make a few crucial mistakes. Whenever I use the calculator at work I get so delirious. My manager was watching me one day and next thing there was this tiny calculator on my desk lol. I tried to use that thing and could barely hold it in my hands. I think I would do better if I use the same calculator I used when I was in school.

I really don't know what to do about going back to school. The last couple of semesters did not go well because of schizoaffective disorder. The voices are promising that they will leave me alone so I can work with a clear mind and good memory. They prefer for me to finish my degree in astrophysicis than IT.

Zero One

Zero One

I think 🤔 in the states Integration is probably calculus 3. I had to repeat that. There are so many mathematical tricks taught back to back. I was doing well but not keeping up with the pace of the class. So on the second try I just taught myself the rest of what I need to learn while working on various problems. I passed that time lol.

The good thing about physics is you can work through a problem to find an answer based on other things you remember, but in chemistry, if you can't remember well do not even try it.

When I realized that something more must be causing me to forget, was in my quantum physics class where I examined a set of equations and was able to understand what was being taught. But I couldn't remember it later--even after 4 tries.

Zero One

Zero One

I wish I could have stayed in my astrophysicis major and completed it. I only have two senior semesters and senior lab left to be done.