Smoking

Skynet

Skynet

You mustn't smoke -- it's bad for your lungs, regardless of whether you have schizophrenia, regardless of whether you're on antipsychotics.

NWiddi

NWiddi

I vape with 6mg of nicotine but can't say if it reduces my appetite. What medication are you on? not Olanzapine is it? It's notorious for making you hungry.

burt tomato

burt tomato

I quit smoking 5 years ago, and now I am into vaping. I picked up a new vaping unit on the weekend and enjoying it so far.

NWiddi

NWiddi

I don't know about Clozapine increasing appetite I haven't been on it yet, I do know it can send your white blood cell count sky high so you'd need regular blood tests.

Are you currently a smoker?

NWiddi

NWiddi

Ah, reduces, knew it was one or the other that compromises your immune system.

I'm on Aripiprazole and Risperidone which increases Prolactin levels and can make men grow breasts and lactate and have a higher risk of developing tumours.

Nicotine gum sounds you're best option, perhaps just 2mg of nicotine to get you started. You can get 100 gums for around £8.

fazza

fazza

Perhaps its worth considering that Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on earth. I smoke. I gave up for 8 years but the cravings got the better of me.

Am I right in thinking you are considering nicotine gum to reduce your appetite?
Is it because of weight gain from the clozapine as when I was on clozapine I went up to 17.5 st

Instead of adding a addictive substance to your daily life consider trying to change your eating habits and try to eat foods that fill you for longer.

I used to have 3 very healthy meals a day plus little bags of carrot battons to munch on when the appetite demons hit.

fazza

fazza

P.s I may sound a bit preachy. It is not my intention. I just don't want you to have problems in the future trying to get off nicotine gum

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

A few years ago I read an article in Discover Magazine that there was a study done that they put people with schizophrenia on the nicotine patch and it helped some of them improve their cognitive dysfunction.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I stopped smoking years ago and used nicotine gum but became addicted o that and it took another year to stop that

fazza

fazza

I have quit again. So far on 12 hours. Feeling OK.. On patches. Only a few cravings now and again. Mainly just after eating.

G

Greg90

I have quit again. So far on 12 hours. Feeling OK.. On patches. Only a few cravings now and again. Mainly just after eating.
Well done Fazza! I recently gave up nicotine in my ecig, down from 3mg to 1.5mg to 0mg. If you get past the first 3 days to a week, you're over the hardest part.

fazza

fazza

Coming up to 24 hours. No problems really. Just mild irritability after eating. it passes after a few mins.