Smoking weed and anxiety

Z

Zebra909

Hi there

I have GAD and mild depression. I sometimes smoke weed.

So one night after smoking a bowl and feeling pretty good my husband and I were watching a pretty dark and disturbing episode of black mirror. After that we started watching random YouTube videos and one of them was about nuclear warfare. Made me feel uneasy so I got up and tried to get ready for bed. The next thing I knew, I was in a full panic attack, crying, panting and my whole body tensed up. My husband was able to calm me down and got me to do a head space meditation with him.

The next morning at work, I started tensing up again, I was not sure what I was worrying about, I just felt scared and unable to be happy. Everything was making me feel sad and uneasy. I just kept feeling like everything and I everyone loved was going to disappear. I ended up taking a half day and I booked an appointment with my social worker for the following week. I was able to take a nap and relax and get back to 50%.

My question is, does weed and anxiety mix well? I am on daily Effexor dose and I always take it right before bed and atleast an hour after I smoke weed. Sometimes, the next morning I will get this weird, groggy weed hangover where my mind isn’t sober and I’m still having “high thoughts”

R_Sxo

R_Sxo

Hi Zebra909,

From what I know, weed can heighten anxiety. Since it makes you more alert, it could make symptoms of anxiety worse, such as overthinking or obsessive thought trains. However, I'm no expert in the dark arts of drugs, so I could be wrong!x

Much love <3

Z

Zebra909

Hi Zebra909,

From what I know, weed can heighten anxiety. Since it makes you more alert, it could make symptoms of anxiety worse, such as overthinking or obsessive thought trains. However, I'm no expert in the dark arts of drugs, so I could be wrong!x

Much love <3
Thank you for your kind words and response. I will consult my doctor and get an expert opinion.

Thank you again!

S

SweetSister7

Hi Zebra,
I have MDD & Anxiety and cannot smoke weed because it puts me in an anxiety attack. I used to smoke and my husband does frequently and I miss the relaxing feeling it used to provide. We used smoke to let loose and laugh but it is so awful for me now to use it. Now all it does is amplify my anxious thoughts, makes my heart race and puts doubt into every thought I have about myself or my situation. One of the worst anxiety attacks I ever had was after I smoked. I miss it because I find it so hard to relax now.
Sorry to hear you are having the same reaction.

D

Domicern

For me weed helps with my anxiety. I feel more relaxed than ever after I smoke (the right strain of course read more), but yes there are some people who can't smoke weed because of their anxiety, and in your case those scary videos probably worked as catalyst.

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

As much as people say weed helps them with anxiety which it can do. But that does not mean every single person it is going to have the same effect. Some people weed gives them more anxiety there has been cases it can mentally break you. If you have underlying mental health id consider it with caution. I used to smoke weed to cope with mental health it was a roll of the dice either I was ok or I was really fucking anxious. id think I am going to swallow my tongue so for me i would not try everything else then give weed a go

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

Always look at both sides of the argument weed was demonized wrongfully. So only because they could not tax it was illegal. Yet smoking causes cancer and drinking is infinately worse for health but is taxed so no one cares. It all comes down to can you be a reasonable person with the substance? if so and it gives you more value to life i see no problem. But always if it makes you worse stop it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 1