• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Smoking Ban - how does it affect you?

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
I am wondering how the smoking ban has affected people here? I would imagine that a higher proportion of people with MH issues smoke than the average population.

I smoke and I find it a pain of course. I feel demonised. I can be quite agoraphobic and it makes it even harder to get motivated to go out.

I applaud David Hockneys voice to raise the debate again. I think we should adopt the Spanish model - a pub landlord chooses to be a smoking place or not. If someone is very anti-smoking then they can go to a pub that doesnt allow it. Just basic freedom of choice.

Smoking pubs could employ smokers to work there, or staff sign a disclaimer. Deisel fumes are more toxic than cigarette smoke. I live on a main road.

What do other people think? I know its controversial, but a debate is always a good thing! :tea:

cloudberry

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

I'm not keen on breathing in other peoples' smoke so I'm glad that the ban is in place, but I do find it annoying that now if you walk past the front of any pub/cinema/any other public building really, including hospitals, that you will find groups of people outside smoking. So now once I'm inside it's fine but I can't even walk past the outside without having to breathe in the foul stuff.

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
A

Apotheosis

I'm not keen on breathing in other peoples' smoke so I'm glad that the ban is in place,
So do you not mind cars? That are polluting to such a degree that they are contributing to no less than the destruction of the planet? Cars - that kill 300 people a day directly, on average, on the roads in the UK alone; not to mention those that they kill with pollution. I take it that you don't mind industrial pollution?; over 600,000 known separate chemical pollutants loose within the environment; that combine to cause who knows what health hazards? That you don't mind all the chemicals in our food, air, & water. The enforced drugging of millions of those with MH condition; with toxic drugs; that cause brain degeneration; & ill health. The unquestioned supremacy of the petro-chemical industry that is bringing the World to the brink of systemic & system wide eco system collapse?

That's OK - but we can't have someone enjoying a cigarette! - even through there is no bona fide evidence to back up the propaganda that passive smoking is Evil.

Smokers - in relation to actually causing a real risk to public health in non smokers - is like firing a pea shooter at the Battle of the Somme. I am truly astounded & amazed at how smokers have been demonised - & yet we just have to look out of the window to see the systematic destruction of the Earth we rely on to live; & no one seems bothered - they just get in their cars; (that is a real public health risk); go to a supermarket to buy armfuls of plastic crap that they don't need, that will go in the bin to a landfill site; to stay there before it rots for a few million years, & think themselves 'good' because they don't smoke! - yes; the filthy smokers - Can't have that; it's terrible.

Bring back smoking in all public places I say - hospitals, cinemas, on the underground & buses - everywhere - & focus on the real health risks & injustices in the World today.

http://www.forces.org/

http://forces.org/Scientific_Portal/category.php?section=6

Last edited:
trombone_babe

trombone_babe

You might be interested to know that I don't drive a car, I recycle as much as I can, and yes, I am well aware of all the other hazards you mention. And I'm not against smoking per se, it's an individual choice. I just find it annoying that smokers should be able to stand in a little huddle at the front of public buildings (even when regulations in such places as hospitals exist, no-one enforces them) where people don't even have the choice whether or not they breathe in that smoke. And it's not because of the passive smoking 'propaganda', it's simply because I really hate the smell, it makes me feel sick. At least when there was no ban I could choose whether or not to go into that building. Having said that, I still support the ban, it means I can go into pubs and suchlike again. I think there should be an area for smokers away from the main frontage of buildings.

A

Apotheosis

I just find it annoying that smokers should be able to stand in a little huddle at the front of public buildings (even when regulations in such places as hospitals exist, no-one enforces them) where people don't even have the choice whether or not they breathe in that smoke.
Tut tut - those pesky rebellious smokers!

When the realities of peak oil, unsustainable population growth, the destruction of the eco-systems we rely on to survive, & the potential government reactions to these things really kicks in - I can tell you for a fact - we will be feeling more than sick.

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
Passive smoking and pets

I am really surprised that in the "passive smoke / damaging / not damaging" debate, no-one thought to ask vets if pets owned by smokers had a higher incidence of illness.

Vets are scientists, they could give an accurate account.

Pets spend hours a day with their owners, they are an on-going experiment as to the effects of second-hand smoke.

Personally my havana cat loves my cigarette smoke, he moves towards it, if I've been away for a while he comes to me when I light-up and sniffs the smoke.

I've had cats for over 26 years, the ones who are no longer with me all lived to good ages (18, 15 and 13). None died of anything connected with smoking. The only one who died young (3) died of enteritis - which she was innoculated against!!!!!

Its all very strange!

:confused:

A

Apotheosis

Personally my havana cat loves my cigarette smoke, he moves towards it, if I've been away for a while he comes to me when I light-up and sniffs the smoke.
Years ago the Cat used to sit on the kitchen table & love the cannabis smoke - this was heavy cannabis smoking that went on - every night for years. She was 24 years old when she died; & she died by being hit by a car. Go figure.

cloudberry

cloudberry

Founding Member
Stoned Cats

Yes! My ex husband used to smoke copious amounts of weed and my grey cat loved to get stoned with him. That cat was also a total cat-nip addict. He would try and get high on anything he could get hold of. Another cat drank the dregs of some magic mushroom tea before i had a chance to get it off him. He was off his head all night and from that day on always checked what was in the bottom of cups!

:LOL:

A

Apotheosis

I had a friend whose cat would sit on his shoulder when he smoked crack - although the cat was admittedly demented.

Another friend has been back in the UK from Thailand - he came back to do 6 weeks in a treatment centre - He has a pet monkey over there - he gave it some coke when he was smoking yabba; & it bit him; lol, it did amuse me.

He is going back to Thailand today & is having a drink when he gets to the airport - oh dear.

A

Ainsworth

they have the ban round the wrong way!

the smokers should of stayed in the pub and all the ones who cheered for the fresh, clear air can stand outside and inhale as much of the sodding stuff as they want!

keepsafe

keepsafe

Hahaha very good unremarkable!!!

I am an ex smoker - I still think about it all the time

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
My mate has several cats.One of his cats loves cannabis.

A

Apotheosis

A little known fact is that humans can get a mild high from cat nip - it can be brewed or smoked. I am wanting to get some to test.