• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Smoking and mental health..

Unique1

Unique1

Hi
Hope I've posted in the correct forum.

I have noticed that particularly after my first cigarette of the day I feel much worse.

I have tried to stop smoking a few times, once gave up for 3 years and started again. I find it so hard to give up. I'm noticing that, although, due to mental health problems I feel low and tired and very anxious, I'm certain smoking highlights this problem especially noticeable after first cig of the day.

Wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this or had heard anything about smoking and mental illness. I know smoking isn't good for you generally, and I wish I could give up, and even more so now I've connected it to feeling worse. I've tried smoking sessions, patches etc.

Jimny

Jimny

Hi Unique, that first cigarette is a bugger. I know what you mean about feeling worse.
I seem to be able to look after myself physically apart from smoking, personally my MH and smoking go hand in hand, a crutch if you like.
Smoking gives me the false sensation of relaxation and relief, whilst smoking itself is an anxiety driven chemical addiction.
When feeling weak or low it seems very difficult to give up, in reality giving up would give me a sense af achievement.
I have an electric thingumy, this enables me to smoke in between cigarettes :doh:.
I don't have any connections between smoking and MH, I would be interested on anyone's tips to give up?
I can vouch for it being the easiest thing in the world, I've done it countless times...
Allen carrs book is pretty good, his smoking addiction must have been tortuous.

Unique1

Unique1

Hi @Jimney

Thanks for response.

I understand the false sensation of relaxation and relief totally. Also smoking and mental health going hand in hand and being a crutch. I believe it helps my loneliness too, a load of rubbish I know, but the addiction is so hard to kick. Sometimes I feel it's the only pleasure I have , to have a cig and a coffee and yet it's making me worse, crazy what addictions can do.

I really appreciate your response and thoughts, it helps to know I'm not on my own in this vicious circle of knowing something is bad for me, but feeling it is good...crazy,

Jimny

Jimny

That made me think when you mentioned loneliness. I can only describe them as dependable.
In the MH unit I was in, cigarettes were used as currency by many. Much like prison I am told.
Standing oustside a building in the freezing cold looking at each other knowing we are equally addicted, but having something in common. I have stood outside whilst snowing at -20 'enjoying' a cigarette, but never alone.
Yep addictions. I wonder how many there are, I was told fifteen by a psychologist.

Last edited:
Unique1

Unique1

Jimney

Yes I'm sure there are lots of addictions, I seem to just have smoking to contend with, but it's a damn hard one, I guess all addictions are. I enjoy smoking that's the bad thing, and I think you have to be mentally ready to give up. Went cold turkey on smoking once it's a nightmare...seems to bring out the worse in me. I worry about putting weight on if I were to give up too. Some would say that's vain,and health is more important.. but I just can't help it.
Just writing about it made me put the kettle on make a coffee and have a cig...

Yep and it's crazy how we will stand in the freezing cold with others and feel part of something, in a way, part of something in life I don't feel part of most of the time. Perhaps it's even more difficult to give up when you have MH issues, or maybe it's another excuse from me..it's interesting though...

Jimny

Jimny

I've just been for a coffee and one too.
I have and have had quite a few addictions. Cold turkey is tough but more rewarding if you beat it.
Weight gain I think is due to replacing cigarettes with food, could also be cigarettes subduing hunger.
MH might mean we lean harder on the crutch we mentioned.
Have you read that book, he encourages you to smoke whilst reading it. For me it kind of glides you in to realising what it is you think you're giving up, but actually breaking free from.

Unique1

Unique1

Hi

No not read the book. will take a look, I guess my problem now is concentration, and reading I can only now do at certain times..but that sounds interesting...
I tend to think about things before doing anything, I analyse a lot, but usually end up taking some kind of action....I think my post is me looking at it, with a view to trying to give up..

Off for a cig now ��. ��