• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

smelling salts - dissociation

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Anyone use them to try avoid dissociating? I've been told to use them again, but in treatment a few years a go was told to throw them away as I need to rely on myself to come back, rather than a substance....?
I still can't stop it happening. Just wondered what others have been advised?
Thank you x

T

Topcat

I think if they helped and did the job, then why throw them away? They're not damaging in any way, so surely it's still self help.
Xxx

D

Deliah

Hey Catkin, I suffered with this for a long time and was able to reconnect if you like by using mindfulness techniques, for example touching, smelling, tasting and talking kindly to myself. It went on for some months everyday, but I no longer have this state at all, through mindfulness training. love to you D xxx

D

Deliah

Oh yeah, also, don't try to avoid it. Accept the feeling and it will pass, more quickly. Grounding also helps. D x

catkin

catkin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Thanks, I do use various things around senses and grounding but it doesn't stop me disappearing. This has gone on for years but worse atm as trying to deal with stuff. Will try salts again. They are awful but do work. X

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I've never tried smelling salts.
I agree that whilst in an ideal world you would be able to 'come back' by yourself, if there's something that helps you then I don't see that there's a problem in using it.
There are far less healthy ways people cope.

Also, i'm glad to hear that things are better for you Deliah.