• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Small Wins

tabris

tabris

So true, sometimes it's hard to remember this. Thank you for reminding me :) I just did my laundry which to some might not be much but to me it means a lot ❀

E

EclipticNight

Small victories make large ones. Getting up is a small victory, going to work is a big one. Can't have one without the other.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I guess the small victories I have are getting out of bed, taking a shower, changing my clothes, doing the laundry, buying food at Walmart, making decisions at Walmart when there are 30 choices of laundry detergent, getting gas for my car, taking out the trash, keeping my room clean (a biggie), making my bed, feeling okay when it's sunny outside and I really don't have anything to do but stay inside my apartment (feeling sad doing so), making small talk with my live-in landlord, washing my car, going to my psychiatrist (now on telehealth via Zoom), taking my meds, drinking enough water during the day, shaving, making meals (I just heat them up--too overwhelming trying to cook a meal from scratch), walking outside when there are a lot of people around, staying on my diet, going to bed not too early. These are the small victories I thought of in five minutes; I'm sure there are more.

A

Alexander Ypsilantis

I guess the small victories I have are getting out of bed, taking a shower, changing my clothes, doing the laundry, buying food at Walmart, making decisions at Walmart when there are 30 choices of laundry detergent, getting gas for my car, taking out the trash, keeping my room clean (a biggie), making my bed, feeling okay when it's sunny outside and I really don't have anything to do but stay inside my apartment (feeling sad doing so), making small talk with my live-in landlord, washing my car, going to my psychiatrist (now on telehealth via Zoom), taking my meds, drinking enough water during the day, shaving, making meals (I just heat them up--too overwhelming trying to cook a meal from scratch), walking outside when there are a lot of people around, staying on my diet, going to bed not too early. These are the small victories I thought of in five minutes; I'm sure there are more.
Making that bed every morning is a good way to start the day. After that, things start to come easier for me.

Z

ZechariahElijah

Thanks for sharing! When I’m really depressed it’s hard to be productive at all. I need to keep reminding myself that everything I do manage to get done is a win.

Desire less

Desire less

Usually when u find something which makes you happy your able to find lots of willpower, but daily tasks usually are very tough to carry out.
It's a tough life being depressed everything seems so useless.
I think it's best not to put too much pressure on yourself to do things and try only to do what's really necessary.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

Making that bed every morning is a good way to start the day. After that, things start to come easier for me.
I actually make my bed right before I go to bed. I think it's overwhelming for me to make it in the morning when my cortisol level (stress hormone level) is higher in the morning than it is at night.

S

Shay94

Small wins for me today: got up early, had shower after my coffee, tidy up bedroom little bit (didn't get a chance to do washing), ducked out to shops quickly, ended up driving to an unknown house to buy a new couch for work (trying so hard to not have panic attack but proud of myself for following thru with it) and then been at work all arvo till 6pm before coming back home

JessisMe

JessisMe

I got up early today and had my morning shower right on time. 😊

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

I haven't been giving the care and attention that is needed for my family. Guilt, work , sadness, and responsibilities feel overwhelming every day and I feel physically and emotionally drained. I feel so tired that it hurts. Last night my husband who does so much for me and our son asked, if I could make some tea for him. My son asked if he could have some too. Such a simple request but it made me feel tired and sad, because it felt as if it would lead to disappointment. Something else I would brush off because they get the last of me when nothing is left though, they deserve the most. They never show anger or otherwise at my dismissiveness. The simple idea of making tea ridiculously played out big in my head and weighted me down inside because how awful am I to have nothing to give even simplicity. I had been to work, gone to care for my mom who is not well, cried during my commutes, and now I was floored. It was about 7p.m. Mentally, I could do nothing. Around 9:30, my son came downstairs and asked me to look at his homework and if there was tea. Had I said I would do anything. His sweet happy face "knew" that I would. I said I am about to make it, and I did. Also helped him with his homework.

For this, "Simplicity" of making and enjoying tea with my family was my small win.

Signofthetimes

Signofthetimes

Made dinner and pureed some for Mom too. I think I will take a nap.:)