Slowly trying to break out of all nighters and sleep ins

R

RoseGoldBoi

Yesterday was the last straw. I stayed up all night on the Internet browser that's on my PS4 untill 10:00 am. I usually get sleepy around 5 AM and wakeup around 2pm to shower. The day before I hadn't showered so yesterday morning I was sticky with leftover body grub and sweat. I never used to be like this, never would go a day without showering. Recently I go 2 days max and I'm so ashamed. The worst part is that I still felt wide awake at 10:00 AM and thought "WTH am I doing to my body?". I promised myself I was going to go on a morning jog but when the time came I wouldn't budge. I won't go into details on why I'm depressed because that's a whole other can of worms. Tonight I took a melitonin at around 10:00 PM-ish, had some shut eye and woke up again. I'm giving myself permission to stay up IF I failed to fall asleep. Going cold turkey is not an option right now. Does anyone else have similiar problems during bad times?

TroubleinParadise

TroubleinParadise

I decided a few years ago that I was going to change. I used to stay up all night and play games, sleep the morning away, eat and hop back on the computer.

I get your struggle; but you need to make a plan of action regarding how you're going to get out of this.

R

RoseGoldBoi

I decided a few years ago that I was going to change. I used to stay up all night and play games, sleep the morning away, eat and hop back on the computer.

I get your struggle; but you need to make a plan of action regarding how you're going to get out of this.
You're right. So far I'm taking melitonin to curb my wide awake behavior and I won't turn anything on. My goal is to wakeup at 10:00 am instead of 2pm

TroubleinParadise

TroubleinParadise

I've been contemplating this as of late.

- Any step is a step that will take you either in the wrong direction or the right direction; the necessity is the movement. At least if you move in the wrong direction; you can always correct it. If you don't move at all you can do nothing - and thus you have made no progress.

Move, try, fail, try again, and rinse and repeat. You'll get there eventually - wherever there is for you - but as people it is our purpose to at least try.

K

Kittylove

I use to be like this a few years ago. I enjoyed being a night owl and staying up late. But I realized It was making me tired, ruining my sleep patterns, and I felt terrible. I ended up getting a job that required me to go to bed early and get up early. So that motivated me to get my sleep on the right track.
It's good that you recognize this behavior. I know it Is difficult but you kind of have to force yourself to getting into the habit of going to bed on time. It will get easier. Having access to the internet, games and phone doesn't help unfortunately lol

F

Fallingfromthetop

I have periods with this. My best solution to curb it is to force myself to stay away until the next evening. Go to bed say at 21:00, (9 pm right?). so I'm up for 36 hours give or take. I usually wake up next day at around 8 AM - 10 AM feeling good and refreshed and usually I can fall asleep that coming night to. If I add some workout during this day I have no problems what so ever even if I have had days that went 12 noon - 6 AM for 1-2 weeks in a row before hand.

For me its just one day to grind through and stay awake then sleep schedule is back to normal. Trying the other way, trying bed earlier and up earlier step by step I find much harder, in fact I find it impossible.

R

RoseGoldBoi

I have periods with this. My best solution to curb it is to force myself to stay away until the next evening. Go to bed say at 21:00, (9 pm right?). so I'm up for 36 hours give or take. I usually wake up next day at around 8 AM - 10 AM feeling good and refreshed and usually I can fall asleep that coming night to. If I add some workout during this day I have no problems what so ever even if I have had days that went 12 noon - 6 AM for 1-2 weeks in a row before hand.

For me its just one day to grind through and stay awake then sleep schedule is back to normal. Trying the other way, trying bed earlier and up earlier step by step I find much harder, in fact I find it impossible.
That feeling of waking up knowing you accomplished going to sleep on time is such a good feeling. I'll get there eventually. I just miss having breakfast and coffee :p
I use to be like this a few years ago. I enjoyed being a night owl and staying up late. But I realized It was making me tired, ruining my sleep patterns, and I felt terrible. I ended up getting a job that required me to go to bed early and get up early. So that motivated me to get my sleep on the right track.
It's good that you recognize this behavior. I know it Is difficult but you kind of have to force yourself to getting into the habit of going to bed on time. It will get easier. Having access to the internet, games and phone doesn't help unfortunately lol
I remember two years ago I went to this short 8 week navy program. It was like cadets but for adults. My sleep issue was very present at that time but my body didn't take long to adapt to the sleep schedule so the job thing makes sense. I just need a few contrived attempts to get back on track, thanks for the motivation :)

K

Kittylove

I remember two years ago I went to this short 8 week navy program. It was like cadets but for adults. My sleep issue was very present at that time but my body didn't take long to adapt to the sleep schedule so the job thing makes sense. I just need a few contrived attempts to get back on track, thanks for the motivation :)
You're welcome. :) yes exactly, just attempt again. We have to force ourselves to do things that will benefit us in the end. Wishing you luck. :)