• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Slowly losing control

P

Panzer

So I think I'll start by saying, Hi! I'm new to this forum. It seemed like a pretty helpful and supportive place so I decided to drop by and see if you could give me some advice.
It turns out I've been hearing voices for the past few years, but only known it for a few months. All that time I spent arguing with really loud, annoying thoughts...Probably should have noticed something:D
My main voice is very overprotective and opinionated and has never liked anyone I've known, but always wants whats best for me. The other ones are either stupid, violent or downright mean. Lately they've been acting up much more than usual, pointing out everyone's flaws and telling me to stay away from my friends, as my friends don't care about me and human attachment will only hurt me in the end. I find myself admitting that they're right and becoming more and more distant from people.
Also, when I get mad or depressed, they have this habit of all talking at THE SAME TIME. All yelling their opinions and just plain screams in the background, it takes everything Ive got to not grab my head and scream. And a meltdown in the middle of my school would probably not end well.
But I cant tell anyone. I don't want to be medicated (so I cant tell my parents) because I really need my main voice for support. And I cant bring myself to tell my friends, as they would either disregard it as me being depressed or just not understand.
Is there any advice you can give me on quieting them down in a hurry? I just don't want to lose it in the middle of class...again.

parker

parker

Is there any advice you can give me on quieting them down in a hurry? I just don't want to lose it in the middle of class...again.
I really don't have any advice, because i haven't found any sure thing:( But being around people and talking with them the voice always takes a seat, that is the only time. I've done things differant and pushed it to it's limits because i couldn't ignore it. So it kinda had a reverse effect. It can jabber all the time and seldom get my attention.
Alls that i can say for sure is your not in this alone, there seems to be a few of us around.

J

johnny berg

You may find some comfort on voice-hearers group online. Many ideas are shared.
should you be unable to find this group post your interest and I will further assis you. I am schizophrenic and rely on meds and support from caring people. Honesty, acceptance are valuable tools and also the trust of another who is in a position to share concerning the nature of the voice experience. Most of the time a voice assists me, however, anature not so wise manifests itself also. Keep in touch.

Johnny

A

Amarney

You need to find a professional to talk to in confidentiality. Your school counselors can only say what went on in a session if it has to do with something criminal like child abuse as far as I know. Go to the one you feel you can trust most and get their help. Even school counselors are trained professionals who know what they're doing and finding someone you can confide in may really help. They would also be able to provide you with a coping mechanism that you may not have thought of yourself.

Whatever you do, just please please PLEASE tell someone. YOU control your life, not your voices, and if it gets too much to handle then you NEED someone you can depend on for support.

M

mark2006

Hello Panzer I was in your postion 3 years ago, it took me a while to realise what was happening to. if you have reached a stage where you cannot control yourself it is time to seek professional help. I to was to afraid to tell anyone. But did see a counsellor eventually which did help.

T

Tim Norman

As long as you are not a danger to yourself or others... and as long as you feel you can be productive... i would really think before telling anyone. You should get tests at the least... complete bloodwork and a CT and / or MRI to rule out any biological cause.

Antipsychotic medication is torture and should only be used in the most severe cases. Look into taking a benzodiazepine.... like clonazepam... Just tell them (your GP/psychiatrist) you have anxiety or panic attacks.

A dose of 1 - 2 milligrams a day might help you keep your cool. DO NOT ABUSE IT IF YOU GET IT !! Do that ..... eat right, exercise ... and focus on vanity.. Although that may sound stupid... the voices and other people will treat you worse if you look terrible. It is the simple truth.... sad but true.

Good luck.... you are too young to be poisoned by some of those hard chemicals... I have personally seen what it does. 10 years experience in and out of hospitals.

Tim

T

terri

As long as you are not a danger to yourself or others... and as long as you feel you can be productive... i would really think before telling anyone. You should get tests at the least... complete bloodwork and a CT and / or MRI to rule out any biological cause.

Antipsychotic medication is torture and should only be used in the most severe cases. Look into taking a benzodiazepine.... like clonazepam... Just tell them (your GP/psychiatrist) you have anxiety or panic attacks.

A dose of 1 - 2 milligrams a day might help you keep your cool. DO NOT ABUSE IT IF YOU GET IT !! Do that ..... eat right, exercise ... and focus on vanity.. Although that may sound stupid... the voices and other people will treat you worse if you look terrible. It is the simple truth.... sad but true.

Good luck.... you are too young to be poisoned by some of those hard chemicals... I have personally seen what it does. 10 years experience in and out of hospitals.

Tim
Too right mate - agree with almost every word. What the hell is benzozepine, I havent a clue but it sounds not a lot horrific, so what a star you are

Terri x

I knew there was something so fantastic about you from the first moment I read your post and saw your photo. Man you have not half got it.... where's your lass ?

C

calfellows

Panzer,

Something which may help you is to get into spiritual groups such as Psychial Research or even Religion. There is a woman here in town who gives clairvoyance classes every friday. There's also a psychial research society in nearly every major city in the country. The only churches which are into the spirituality are the Pentecostal and Evangelical (these all hear voices).
Sounds like you are young and wanted to fight this and win. You might want to read recovery stories, might inpspire you might teach you a few particulars. Dr,. Rufus May, make certain you read his story, the link here. Here are a few other links to him and his work. My own story will definitely help you. I was 18 when the cruel voices of hell broke loose, and my life story is here (takes 1 hour to read it):

The truth will set you free:
http://tinyurl.com/4oa2cg

Voices Related Links:
http://forum.s481.sureserver.com/showpost.php?p=1323&postcount=3.

Take Care,
Cal

E

eileen

I agree with those that said you needed someone to talk to, but I also totally agree with being careful and not starting drugs you may not need. Meds seem to solve the problem at first, but they drag you down in the long run, this I know from personal experience. Be proactive in everything, researching on the internet or library, get a lot of knowledge for yourself, don't trust doctors or therapists...they don't have xray vision, contrary to what they would have you think.

As far as peace from the voices...mine are abusive and very loud, so I control them by avoiding large crowds or chaos. I find one on one conversations seem to be easier then group conversations. Also...and this is a biggie...when they get out of control I call a day off and play video games. The games move faster then my mind and voices, and this shuts them right up and gives me a break for a few hours.

Hope you find peace...be careful what you say and to whom you say it.

T

Tim Norman

I agree with those that said you needed someone to talk to, but I also totally agree with being careful and not starting drugs you may not need. Meds seem to solve the problem at first, but they drag you down in the long run, this I know from personal experience. Be proactive in everything, researching on the internet or library, get a lot of knowledge for yourself, don't trust doctors or therapists...they don't have xray vision, contrary to what they would have you think.

As far as peace from the voices...mine are abusive and very loud, so I control them by avoiding large crowds or chaos. I find one on one conversations seem to be easier then group conversations. Also...and this is a biggie...when they get out of control I call a day off and play video games. The games move faster then my mind and voices, and this shuts them right up and gives me a break for a few hours.

Hope you find peace...be careful what you say and to whom you say it.

Excellent advice Eileen.... Talk radio; video games; music; reading books helps me immensely. Exercise too ! Take care of yourself and home and love your family. Set goals in life and work at acheiving them one by one. Stay away from drugs and alcohol.... as I guarentee you right now... if you get into that stuff you will suffer dearly in the future.

And a message to BIG PHARMA:

DO NOT DRUG THE YOUTH WITH YOUR POISON/GARBAGE PHARMACUTICALS!

Regards,

Tim