Sleeplessness

E

Eustace

I can’t easily find much about insomnia on this forum. That probably says more about my search abilities than anything else, but I’ll raise it here.

It’s a common condition for the anxious and depressed, I believe, and I have been suffering from it for 7 months now.
I generally get about 3 hours continuous sleep from midnight to 3 a.m. and then just fitful dozing if I am lucky, as dreadful thoughts go through my mind.
Come morning, I just don’t want to get up, and if it were not for dogs I wouldn’t.
Funny thing is, whilst I feel weary I don’t really feel tired in any other sense.
Prescription Sleeping pills (Zopiclone) perhaps give me an extra hour, but they are supposed to zonk you for 7 or 8 hours. And their efficiency declined the longer you take them. So I don’t often take them - I hate taking any sort of medication, and the thought of taking stuff like this is really anathema to me. As they become ineffective the doc will increase the dose, then eventually start Changing to ever stronger stuff, until I am hooked. Dear God, what a bloody future !
I have started playing white noise on an Echo Dot Alexa in the bedroom, and this seems to help me drop off, just a little, as it seems to give me something to listen to without really having to concentrate, and reduces the terrifying thoughts in my head.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

after years, I settled on Mirtazapine, that's been very effective I found, one 15mg pill before bed, but withdraw isn't good. I was only having 2-3 hours sleep one point, so I couldn't believe it's been so effective.

E

Eustace

Sleeplessness, loneliness, helplessness.

Hard to bear.

Add in fear, grief, anxiety, guilt and it’s all too much.

Yet I can put on an act of coping for a while when people ask how I am. I cannot confide in anybody. Even on this forum I suppress full details of my circumstances in order to avoid the possibility of identification.

I have never had real friends - I was friendly to people, but I was described as a “private person.”
My dear late wife was all (and more) the emotional support and company that I needed and wanted.
Please don’t tell me to try counselling.

E

Eustace

Lying awake, 7 a.m. should get up, headache, need sleep, can’t

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Last October, I had insomnia that kept me awake for 3 days straight until I collapsed and had to be taken to the hospital. It was due to anxiety and depression. I tried everything with no luck.

After getting treatment for my anxiety, mostly, things improved. I also tried melatonin 6 mg half an hour before bed time. It put me to sleep for good 6 hours.

Insomnia is very debilitating at times and has physical health effects.

I hope you feel better soon and get enough sleep.

Very sorry to hear about your wife.