Sleeplessness

E

Eustace

I can’t easily find much about insomnia on this forum. That probably says more about my search abilities than anything else, but I’ll raise it here.

It’s a common condition for the anxious and depressed, I believe, and I have been suffering from it for 7 months now.
I generally get about 3 hours continuous sleep from midnight to 3 a.m. and then just fitful dozing if I am lucky, as dreadful thoughts go through my mind.
Come morning, I just don’t want to get up, and if it were not for dogs I wouldn’t.
Funny thing is, whilst I feel weary I don’t really feel tired in any other sense.
Prescription Sleeping pills (Zopiclone) perhaps give me an extra hour, but they are supposed to zonk you for 7 or 8 hours. And their efficiency declined the longer you take them. So I don’t often take them - I hate taking any sort of medication, and the thought of taking stuff like this is really anathema to me. As they become ineffective the doc will increase the dose, then eventually start Changing to ever stronger stuff, until I am hooked. Dear God, what a bloody future !
I have started playing white noise on an Echo Dot Alexa in the bedroom, and this seems to help me drop off, just a little, as it seems to give me something to listen to without really having to concentrate, and reduces the terrifying thoughts in my head.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

after years, I settled on Mirtazapine, that's been very effective I found, one 15mg pill before bed, but withdraw isn't good. I was only having 2-3 hours sleep one point, so I couldn't believe it's been so effective.