• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sleeping tablets

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Ive been an insomniac for as long as i can remember. I usually read for an hour or two when i go to bed. Then sleep for an hour , wake up for an hour and go on thru the night like that. Ive had various sleepers, zopiclone and nitrazepam both did absolutely nothing chloral hydrate worked but i could only have that in hospital as it really knocked you out. I’m currently on temazepam but only take them every three or four days cos i feel so crap and heavy headed the day after. Has anyone had any luck with sleepers that make them feel ok the following day.
And i have tried all the herbal ones as well

Acorn

Acorn

Is there anything specific that stops you sleeping? I ask because I went through many years of insomnia that sleeping tablets didn’t help and even made worse because it was my mind needing to stay awake due to ptsd stuff. It wasn’t until I dealt with that that I could sleep

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I’m currently going thru trauma therapy which is really hard and has caused me to start SH again. But i find reading clears my mind. I cant just get into bed and relax . I was drinking at one stage and realised that was not doing me any good physically or financially . Ive tried mindfulness but find it very difficult as clearing my mind is virtually impossible. I also use a sleep app on Alexa .
Ive had sleep problems since i was a child but have various MH problems CPTSD social anxiety and schizoaffective. I havnt talked with my therapist about sleep problems mainly getting to the root of the social anxiety which she thinks stems from childhood trauma

Acorn

Acorn

I’m currently going thru trauma therapy which is really hard and has caused me to start SH again. But i find reading clears my mind. I cant just get into bed and relax . I was drinking at one stage and realised that was not doing me any good physically or financially . Ive tried mindfulness but find it very difficult as clearing my mind is virtually impossible. I also use a sleep app on Alexa .
Ive had sleep problems since i was a child but have various MH problems CPTSD social anxiety and schizoaffective. I havnt talked with my therapist about sleep problems mainly getting to the root of the social anxiety which she thinks stems from childhood trauma
I suspect that the sleep issues are related to the trauma. I understand that you are working on other things in therapy but the fact is your body needs sleep. It’s a basic requirement for staying alive and lack of sleep will also be affecting your mental health making everything harder than need be. To me that makes it a therapy priority, especially if medication gives little relief.

I have done mindfulness for many years and it’s a common misconception that it involves clearing your mind. What it’s really about is more bring completely in the moment and fully focused on a particular task really experiencing every aspect of it.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Ive just started a series of mindfulness sessions but as much as they say just concentrate on your breathing and let anything else be like a cloud and float away. It doesnt work my clouds turn into rainstorms with a story of their own ⛈

Acorn

Acorn

Ive just started a series of mindfulness sessions but as much as they say just concentrate on your breathing and let anything else be like a cloud and float away. It doesnt work my clouds turn into rainstorms with a story of their own ⛈
I found mindful breathing to be really difficult one of the hardest actually I don’t understand why it’s one they start with it simply isn’t involved enough.

It’s a learned skill it takes time but it also doesn’t work for everyone.

N

Nate

Ive been an insomniac for as long as i can remember. I usually read for an hour or two when i go to bed. Then sleep for an hour , wake up for an hour and go on thru the night like that. Ive had various sleepers, zopiclone and nitrazepam both did absolutely nothing chloral hydrate worked but i could only have that in hospital as it really knocked you out. I’m currently on temazepam but only take them every three or four days cos i feel so crap and heavy headed the day after. Has anyone had any luck with sleepers that make them feel ok the following day.
And i have tried all the herbal ones as well
I'm taking trazadone for sleep, seems to help. I do feel a little drowsy next morning though.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I found mindful breathing to be really difficult one of the hardest actually I don’t understand why it’s one they start with it simply isn’t involved enough.

It’s a learned skill it takes time but it also doesn’t work for everyone.
It was quite funny in the group cos one of the women fell fast asleep in a matter of minutes and had to be shaken to wake up