• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Sleeping problems and anxiety symptoms

S

Steff1990

Yes I had this past few nights and I am actually fed up and exhausted from it. I do not know what I have as this is all recent and new to me. Trying to get to speak to as much people as I can online as my GP is useless. Feel like have hit a dead end. Just try and relax and know nothing is wrong eventually i tried with these thoughts and drifted off. I know it is hard. Also gently massage between your thumb and index finger this will help you relax
Me too. I never know when I'm gonna have a good or a bad night. It drives me nuts. Think I'm starting to get some sort of sleeping anxiety now about going to bed because the thought of having those feelings really scared me. And I used to so look forward to going to bed like everyone else! It's extremely frustrating. I find GPs useless too. I've been prescribed setraline about 6 weeks ago but haven't taken it because I heard the symptoms can get worse before they get better and honestly I don't think I can handle the symptoms being worse they're already bad as it is. It's the physical symptoms that affect me more than the actual anxiety itself as in in your mind because they're very frightening. It really is an awful thing

N

navhealth

Me too. I never know when I'm gonna have a good or a bad night. It drives me nuts. Think I'm starting to get some sort of sleeping anxiety now about going to bed because the thought of having those feelings really scared me. And I used to so look forward to going to bed like everyone else! It's extremely frustrating. I find GPs useless too. I've been prescribed setraline about 6 weeks ago but haven't taken it because I heard the symptoms can get worse before they get better and honestly I don't think I can handle the symptoms being worse they're already bad as it is. It's the physical symptoms that affect me more than the actual anxiety itself as in in your mind because they're very frightening. It really is an awful thing
I feel the exact same way!!!

Spoke to my gp twice and i feel like i am speaking to a brick wall. I have a blood test on wensday which i got because i asked for it. I just need to know there is nothing else or is this indeed anxiety

Like you I had a good sleep patern and was fine just after my first attack about month ago my lifes changed. I dread going to sleep too now.

I massage my hand sometimes or middle of my head between my eyebrows to relax myself. Sometimes it is easier said then done to not think paniky thoughts when you have physical symptoms like me where my arms are always numb or foot starts to get pins and needles.

funny enough writing this right now on the forum i feel ok lol sometimes just need to keep mind occupied

S

Steff1990

I feel the exact same way!!!

Spoke to my gp twice and i feel like i am speaking to a brick wall. I have a blood test on wensday which i got because i asked for it. I just need to know there is nothing else or is this indeed anxiety

Like you I had a good sleep patern and was fine just after my first attack about month ago my lifes changed. I dread going to sleep too now.

I massage my hand sometimes or middle of my head between my eyebrows to relax myself. Sometimes it is easier said then done to not think paniky thoughts when you have physical symptoms like me where my arms are always numb or foot starts to get pins and needles.

funny enough writing this right now on the forum i feel ok lol sometimes just need to keep mind occupied
I haven't ever tried this but just a thought now could you possibly ask your gp to give you something to help you sleep?
I try so many things when I feel it at night like listening to relaxing calming music on YouTube sometimes just takes your mind off it for a bit not always effective but worth a try. It's still really hard to switch off though. It's the physical symptoms that bother me more than anything else so when I feel them I can't really stop thinking about them. Especially when your heart is racing its hard to relax

N

navhealth

I haven't ever tried this but just a thought now could you possibly ask your gp to give you something to help you sleep?
I try so many things when I feel it at night like listening to relaxing calming music on YouTube sometimes just takes your mind off it for a bit not always effective but worth a try. It's still really hard to switch off though. It's the physical symptoms that bother me more than anything else so when I feel them I can't really stop thinking about them. Especially when your heart is racing its hard to relax
yes same for me it is the physical symptoms that are making my mind have panic thoughts.

I really do not want any tablets or medication. I know it is my mind causing all this. There must be a way to control it

S

Steff1990

yes same for me it is the physical symptoms that are making my mind have panic thoughts.

I really do not want any tablets or medication. I know it is my mind causing all this. There must be a way to control it
There is. Its just trying to get your brain out of fight or flight mode. Sometimes talking about loud to your brain can help. I know it sounds stupid but a cbt counsellor told me this. You basically try change your thought process and tell your brain everything is OK so it can relax. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It's so difficult though isn't it

N

navhealth

There is. Its just trying to get your brain out of fight or flight mode. Sometimes talking about loud to your brain can help. I know it sounds stupid but a cbt counsellor told me this. You basically try change your thought process and tell your brain everything is OK so it can relax. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. It's so difficult though isn't it
I will give that a try. It is extremelly difficult ..it is easy for people who do not go through it to say just dont think about it lol I have had family members say that. If it was that easy i am sure we all would have done it lol

Massaging my hand seems to help me a bit now. Also i have changed the way i sleep. no more sleeping on my stomach.

S

Steff1990

I will give that a try. It is extremelly difficult ..it is easy for people who do not go through it to say just dont think about it lol I have had family members say that. If it was that easy i am sure we all would have done it lol

Massaging my hand seems to help me a bit now. Also i have changed the way i sleep. no more sleeping on my stomach.
Yeah that's the worst thing someone can say to someone with anxiety really. It's frustrating I think that's why a lot of people don't bother telling anyone and suffer in silence because it's so undermined by people and especially because the term anxiety is used so loosely. When actually its a horrific thing to deal with it's not just a bit of worry on your mind it's a full blown nightmare.
Sometimes it helps just to know you're not alone at all. It definitely does feel like it when you're going through it though but you're not. I sometimes find jumping on here when I feel dodgy can help just reading through the posts, just makes you feel a bit less on your own.

N

navhealth

Yeah that's the worst thing someone can say to someone with anxiety really. It's frustrating I think that's why a lot of people don't bother telling anyone and suffer in silence because it's so undermined by people and especially because the term anxiety is used so loosely. When actually its a horrific thing to deal with it's not just a bit of worry on your mind it's a full blown nightmare.
Sometimes it helps just to know you're not alone at all. It definitely does feel like it when you're going through it though but you're not. I sometimes find jumping on here when I feel dodgy can help just reading through the posts, just makes you feel a bit less on your own.
Yes just talking on here and being able to speak to somebody with the same issue helps a lot.

I have noticed people do not take anxiety serious at all. They make you feel like its not a big issue. when in fact its changed my life.

If you ever need to chat just drop me a message happy to help if it helps be calmer 😀

S

Steff1990

Yes just talking on here and being able to speak to somebody with the same issue helps a lot.

I have noticed people do not take anxiety serious at all. They make you feel like its not a big issue. when in fact its changed my life.

If you ever need to chat just drop me a message happy to help if it helps be calmer 😀
Thank you I appreciate that. And likewise! Definitely can help

H

Hope8327

This happens to me to, but it's almost opposite. I can fall asleep great but I always wake up at about 5 in the morning and my brain will not shut off..it's almost like my brain wakes me up from all the anxiety. It's horrible. :(

N

navhealth

This happens to me to, but it's almost opposite. I can fall asleep great but I always wake up at about 5 in the morning and my brain will not shut off..it's almost like my brain wakes me up from all the anxiety. It's horrible. :(
This happened to me few hours ago. have been up since around 5 and woke up to a racing heart beat

N

NJKJ24

The exact same thing happened to me last night, I have been ok for a good few weeks now but then it just hit me all over again. I just can't drift off no matter how hard I try. My thoughts start racing and my body goes all tingly. It sets me off the following day too as when I get up in the morning I feel dreadful (which deep down I know if from lack of sleep and anxiety) but I can't help worrying that there is something seriously wrong with me and so the cycle begins.....

H

Hope8327

This happened to me few hours ago. have been up since around 5 and woke up to a racing heart beat
Yeah...this has happened to me now for months. It's almost a new norm now. ugh!