• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

Sleeping problems and anxiety symptoms

S

Steff1990

Hi everyone

I am sitting here now writing this as I can't sleep no matter what I do my body just forces me awake when I'm drifting off.
I was watching TV before bed not doing anything else and went to go to sleep and just as I am about to drift off (or so it feels like) my body forces me awake and its as if stuff is zooming through my body my body feels tingly and awful when it happens and my head feels so fuzzy and as if there's pressure and just feel so weak when it happens. It's so scary and it's making me scared for bedtime as it happens very regularly.
Does anyone else experience this?
Thanks

kingkylie

kingkylie

H
Hi everyone

I am sitting here now writing this as I can't sleep no matter what I do my body just forces me awake when I'm drifting off.
I was watching TV before bed not doing anything else and went to go to sleep and just as I am about to drift off (or so it feels like) my body forces me awake and its as if stuff is zooming through my body my body feels tingly and awful when it happens and my head feels so fuzzy and as if there's pressure and just feel so weak when it happens. It's so scary and it's making me scared for bedtime as it happens very regularly.
Thanks
I there! I have the same problem too. I've been having this shifted sleeping pattern since 2.5 years ago.. Only got better for less than 1 year, but the rest of it I would say I've had a terrible sleeping hours (not that I dont sleep enough, it's just that I can only fell asleep when the sun in coming up). Some people say that you should just not sleep at all for 1 day so that the next day you can be really sleepy really early and thus create a new cycle.. But i can never do it even if I tried

M

Mel123

When your having a lot of stress and anxiety your busy can get too worked up to let you sleep. It's like self preservation almost. Also the body can sometimes mix up falling asleep with dying I read somewhere.. not sure how tire that is. But I've had the same issues as you and other then taking a Xanax to calm my mind down it's really hard to get sleep. Maybe try melatonin? That helps me at times. Also soothing night time routine helps me. I'll have a cup of chamomile tea to unwind me.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I have what i call my washing machine head quite often when i go to bed with things spinning round in my head that i cant switch off. I now have lorazepam to relax me and if that doesnt work take temazepam and as long as i dont take it too often that usually works.
Are you having a particularly stressful time at he moment or are you worried about something, because all that can play on you. Try taking a warm bath and i always feel better when ive just put clean sheets on the bed

S

Steff1990

Thanks everyone.
Last night I went to bed with a cup of tea that has valerian chamomile etc in it and I was super tired but once my head hit the pillow it's when I try to fall asleep my body just forces me awake. I can't say I'm particularly stressed about anything at the moment I guess it's just part and parcel of having anxiety. I do have diazepam which I've never taken because I'm tok scared to take it (thanks anxiety 😂) but I should probably try it when I have a night like I did last night.

A

Aleks82

I get that to. I was doing yoga and meditation yesterday. Was feeling quite OK, but at 3 A.M. my blasting heart woke me up and no more sleep for me.

K

Kc88

I'm going through the same thing right now. I've only been getting literally only a couple hours of sleep this past week. I only got a couple right now and I have to go to work for 11hrs lifting heavy boxes.

S

Steff1990

I get that to. I was doing yoga and meditation yesterday. Was feeling quite OK, but at 3 A.M. my blasting heart woke me up and no more sleep for me.
It's rotten isn't it. It takes me forever to get to sleep with so many bouts of being forced awake just as I'm drifting off before I finally fall asleep. It's usually around 4/4.30am when the sun's starting to come up and the birds are tweeting 🙄 I hope you get a better sleep tonight

S

Steff1990

I'm going through the same thing right now. I've only been getting literally only a couple hours of sleep this past week. I only got a couple right now and I have to go to work for 11hrs lifting heavy boxes.
I feel for you. Its not easy. Luckily I'm not at work at the minute due to being furloughed or I'd really really struggle it's just awful. Always makes me think there's something else going on because of how it makes me feel because it really is awful and frightening and takes me hours to relax again. Hoping your sleep improves. Would be nice if there was an easy fix wouldn't it.

DMARXX

DMARXX

I am having the same exact thing. Every time I lay my head to sleep it's like my mind and body don't want to turn off. I'm so utterly exhausted and scared as to why I can't stop it. I take tramadol to calm me down because my anxiety gives me nerve pain in my extremities. I just have this constant feeling of dread and my head feels fuzzy. What do you do?

M

Mel123

I am having the same exact thing. Every time I lay my head to sleep it's like my mind and body don't want to turn off. I'm so utterly exhausted and scared as to why I can't stop it. I take tramadol to calm me down because my anxiety gives me nerve pain in my extremities. I just have this constant feeling of dread and my head feels fuzzy. What do you do?
Hey, just wanted to encourage you to keep trying and know it does get better. Having a lot of things to try and use as calming tools really helps! The same thing doesn't work for everybody so if something isn't working that you read about just keep trying out new ways to calm yourself down until you find something that does work. I found that a phobia of sleeping can develop really quickly if you're scared of all those things happening every time you lay down. To combat that I tried to have a really good routine before I go to bed. I have hot tea That's supposed to help you fall asleep and relax you that I drink before bed, I'll do a peaceful hobby for like a half hour before bed to concentrate on something other than my anxiety. If I'm feeling really sad or foggy sometimes I'll just go stand outside in the cool air at night for a little while to clear my head. A short or medium guided meditation can help. sometimes I'll just distract my brain like counting down from a thousand slowly if I mess up I just start over again. One of the hardest things about sleep and anxiety is the brain zaps and just general shakiness and fear at bedtime is it easily escalates itself with repeating the problem. Less sleep more anxiety, more anxiety less sleep. Being able to break the cycle for even a day or two here and there can really help.

As far as medications go I have Xanax for emergencies, I take citalopram 20mg daily and I'm also on propranolol 10mg twice a day.

Hope things get better for you soon.

DMARXX

DMARXX

Hey, just wanted to encourage you to keep trying and know it does get better. Having a lot of things to try and use as calming tools really helps! The same thing doesn't work for everybody so if something isn't working that you read about just keep trying out new ways to calm yourself down until you find something that does work. I found that a phobia of sleeping can develop really quickly if you're scared of all those things happening every time you lay down. To combat that I tried to have a really good routine before I go to bed. I have hot tea That's supposed to help you fall asleep and relax you that I drink before bed, I'll do a peaceful hobby for like a half hour before bed to concentrate on something other than my anxiety. If I'm feeling really sad or foggy sometimes I'll just go stand outside in the cool air at night for a little while to clear my head. A short or medium guided meditation can help. sometimes I'll just distract my brain like counting down from a thousand slowly if I mess up I just start over again. One of the hardest things about sleep and anxiety is the brain zaps and just general shakiness and fear at bedtime is it easily escalates itself with repeating the problem. Less sleep more anxiety, more anxiety less sleep. Being able to break the cycle for even a day or two here and there can really help.

As far as medications go I have Xanax for emergencies, I take citalopram 20mg daily and I'm also on propranolol 10mg twice a day.

Hope things get better for you soon.
thank you. I'll try these out and hopefully it works. I have actually been fine for about a month and then it hit again today out of nowhere and now I'm really scared because what i went thru a month ago with my anxiety was really traumatic. I don't think I can go through it again. I can help but feel like something physically is wrong with me.

S

Steff1990

Sorry you're experiencing this too I honestly wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. When it comes on badly like it did the other night I end up getting upset because I feel awful with it. I try and talk out loud to my brain (sounds stupid I know but my cbt counsellor told me to try it) and just thank your brain for trying to protect you then say let's go through a few questions. Am I in any immediate danger? No. Am I under any threat? No. Do I have all 4 of my limbs? Yes. Then I talk out loud and say I'm just sitting watching TV or lying in bed relaxing so I'm not in any danger. It really does sound ridiculous but it's to try and get your brain out of fight or flight mode. It can work to an extent but when I'm already feeling awful it doesn't really do much. But it's worth a try. I also go on YouTube and put on mindfulness music and sleep music to try calm me. I feel it right now it's come on out of nowhere it's really really debilitating isn't it. Even try text a family member or friend and tell them how you're feeling. I've had to wake my mum up multiple times because of how crap I felt

DMARXX

DMARXX

Sorry you're experiencing this too I honestly wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy. When it comes on badly like it did the other night I end up getting upset because I feel awful with it. I try and talk out loud to my brain (sounds stupid I know but my cbt counsellor told me to try it) and just thank your brain for trying to protect you then say let's go through a few questions. Am I in any immediate danger? No. Am I under any threat? No. Do I have all 4 of my limbs? Yes. Then I talk out loud and say I'm just sitting watching TV or lying in bed relaxing so I'm not in any danger. It really does sound ridiculous but it's to try and get your brain out of fight or flight mode. It can work to an extent but when I'm already feeling awful it doesn't really do much. But it's worth a try. I also go on YouTube and put on mindfulness music and sleep music to try calm me. I feel it right now it's come on out of nowhere it's really really debilitating isn't it. Even try text a family member or friend and tell them how you're feeling. I've had to wake my mum up multiple times because of how crap I felt
I'll actually try that. It feels as if my body is in fight or flight mode for absolutely no reason. Its really difficult to snap out of it. Everyone always tells me to "calm down" but its so hard and frankly I get upset when they tell me that. Like if I can stop this don't you think I would!

N

navhealth

Hi everyone

Thanks
Yes I had this past few nights and I am actually fed up and exhausted from it. I do not know what I have as this is all recent and new to me. Trying to get to speak to as much people as I can online as my GP is useless. Feel like have hit a dead end. Just try and relax and know nothing is wrong eventually i tried with these thoughts and drifted off. I know it is hard. Also gently massage between your thumb and index finger this will help you relax