• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sleeping Patterns.

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
How is yours ?

Mine is pants and has been really for the last couple of years . I yearn to have a good nights unbroken sleep that it's getting to me now :cry:

I've never asked for a sleeping pill as i'm my OH carer and i'd worry i never heard him in the night if he needed me.

Any tips anyone ??

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
hmm.. i dont think squirrel poo would work for this one :rolleyes:

i dont think i have a sleepong pattern it varies so much .. sometimes i cant get to sleep for hours, sometimes i get to sleep then wake up several times in the night for tea and toast :confused:
if i sit still for too long during the day (ie trying to watch a film or the telly) i tend to doze off ..

relaxation is supposed to help.. i tried a cd thing but woke up being strangled by the earphones :scared:

what about those herbal tablets .. i have some called kalms . they claim to help promote natural sleep.
i have taken them for the "relieves periods of worry.." claim (so didnt notice if they had any effect on my sleep :rolleyes:

not very helpful , sorry :redface:

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Thanks for your reply sandybob :)

I did buy Kalms sleep ........... took them for 2 nights but then some one on my forum said she was advised not to take them as sommet didn't mix right with her anti-d's .......... so i stopped taking them until i ask my gp .

L

Lyra

Founding Member
I only sleep when I take sleeping pills. I have terrible nightmares because of PTSD so they wake me up a lot.
Have you tried melatonin. That works well but you can wake up easily with it so you would hear you OH.

ralph1

ralph1

Founding Member
How is yours ?

Mine is pants and has been really for the last couple of years . I yearn to have a good nights unbroken sleep that it's getting to me now :cry:

I've never asked for a sleeping pill as i'm my OH carer and i'd worry i never heard him in the night if he needed me.

Any tips anyone ??
There are a lot of different pills which work different ways. i have been on a number of them in past, including those that knock you off with a poleaxe and when you wake up, you dont feel refreshed at all. Zopiclone worked for me, but its side effects were terrible. zolpidem ( not to be confused with zopiclone)worked a treat for me. But be aware that they can all be very difficult to get off of,

J

justlikeawoman

sleeping patterns

i am an expert insomniac
i have a medical condition which prevents me from sleeping. i get so little sleep. a friend gave me a sleeping tablet about two years ago and i got a night's sleep and it was sooooo nice. something i havent experienced for years.
but that was a one off. as my physical illness causes depression i eventually got my psychiatrist to give me zolipdem. i promised him i would only take half a pill a couple of times a week. the first few times i took it i have to admit it did aid my sleep but i have to say that is now declining and i am getting back to little or no sleep again.
i have increased the pill to half a pill three times a week. the problem is that the dosage is probably not working and i am trying so hard not to resort to increasing the strength of the pill.
i get very distressed from no sleep and my concentration is very poor.
i sympathise with anyone who doesnt sleep.
while medication may help personally it isnt the way i would truly recommend
i have also tried kalms and didnt find them any good. in fact the first time i took them i didnt sleep well but when i did go asleep and woke up i felt very ill.
i can understand why doctors dont like giving sleeping pills - desperation for a decent sleep could so easily cause somebody to take too much.
that's my opinion anyway.
:sleep:yawn
sweet dreams

lucid scream

lucid scream

IMO, zolpidem is a great med. I do not sleep without it, I have been taking it for at least 6 months,and am just now noticing a tolerance. I still go to sleep, I just wake up way early.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
my sleep has been horrendous for years. Ive already been up to bed and come back down. I was put on zopiclone a few months back but it only worked for a couple of nights. Now they are trying Zolpidem but that doesnt seem to be working too well. It says u should get 6 to 7 hours. im lucky if i get 2. I took my sleeper 2 hours ago and im still wide awake

Might have to resort to a hot toddy:D

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Thank you all for your replies :grouphug:

Seems sleep is an issue for many of us :(

I see my shrink early Feb and i'm gonna ask about pills . Lack of sleep is really getting to me now :(, it's taking over my thought's alot just lately................ all i want is a good nights sleep !!!!

connect

connect

Admin
Another thing you could try is those hypnosis/relaxation CDs for falling asleep. I just put "sleep CD" into amazon and lots of them came up. They're also available in larger bookstores. Might be worth a try seeing how there are no unwanted side-effects :confused:

sandybob

sandybob

Founding Member
Another thing you could try is those hypnosis/relaxation CDs for falling asleep. I just put "sleep CD" into amazon and lots of them came up. They're also available in larger bookstores. Might be worth a try seeing how there are no unwanted side-effects :confused:

apart from the earphones lol:LOL:

or maybe thats just me:D

i'm sure you dont have to have earphones on .. only the one i had said it was more effective with earphones

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Thanks for that i may take a look , i've tried a relaxing one to no avail .

A

Apotheosis

My sleep isn't good either, I go through phases of waking up allot or waking early, spending hours trying to get to sleep, & phases of very bad nightmares. I constantly have very vivid dreams. In the past I took sleepers for small amounts of time. I often stay up till 3-4am. I have found that herbal Nytol & normal Nytol do help a little with sleeping. I also have some Valium in the cupboard, but I don't ever take it more than two days in a row, & only then on rare occasion.

Every time I have been ill & psychosed it has coincided with no sleep. I think I have some kind of sleep disorder. If I'm going through a phase of not sleeping allot I try to get sleep when I do feel relaxed & tired, I will often have a doze in the afternoons. Reading a book or magazine can help me nod off sometimes, & taking time to relax before bed. I sometimes have a bath at night & sit quietly. If I'm on the internet, which I am allot, it can get my head buzzing too much before bed.

Rorschach

Rorschach

Founding Member
Ditto, no sleep and illness seem to have correspodence here to, or has in the past. Going out partying for days at an end probably didn't help either. Irregular sleep patterns can mess you up, saying nothing of feeling out of sync with the world.

That said it's 02:14hrs, and I've probably drank too many coffees and red bulls today...not the best aid to sleep :unsure:

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
well im having one of those nights. Thought i would be tired as my grandaughter stayed last night, but no. Have taken my pills including a sleeper and am now on my 4th glass of wine, so i suppose the next thing is to start cleaning

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Talina Wellbeing 13
Mario82 Wellbeing 10