• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Sleeping a lot due to depression

Carol1952

Carol1952

I get these days where all I do is sleep and i feel depressed because of it too.I worry a lot which doesnt help either.HOwever when I get severly depressed all I want to do is sleep all darn day long.It doesnt take me to long to fall asleep either.Then when I wake up I dont feel refreshed at all.All I want to do is sleep.It is the only thing that takes away my sadness and depression and the fear of being scared,whenever someone comes to see me I get scared when they leave.I just feel like i need to be with someone.I hate being alone.I need to be loved and protected.IS this all part of depression?

J

Jono

Unfortunately everything you have said is spot on for depression, you need to seek medical advice because it will help in the long run . Everything else should fall into place when you sort you out , it works for me;)

J

Jono

I’m on Prozac and having trouble sleeping, any advice welcome :welcome:

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

im the same ,slept almost the last 2 days x
im sorry you are going through this ,have you heard of SAD lamps? they help some people in the winter months lift their mood x

T

Thisway

ACCOUNT CLOSED
All i want to do of late is sleep. Like you I find sleep to be a safe space and it is a real task to get up and do anything. I hope you find ways to kmprove your situation.

Carol1952

Carol1952

All i want to do of late is sleep. Like you I find sleep to be a safe space and it is a real task to get up and do anything. I hope you find ways to kmprove your situation.
I am even going to be before 8 at night i just get bored no matter what is on tv i am so bored .so sleeping is the only thing i can do.

T

Thisway

ACCOUNT CLOSED
@Carol1952 Yes, i too see sleep as something to do. I enjoy the bit between waking and falling asleep. Unfortunately I let my mind wander widely when I first begin to wake. That is when the real negative self talk happens.

I

Ian Haines

Sleep brought on by depression...brings on depression! Then, that kind of depression brings on excessive sleep, which causes more depression! The cycle rarely goes on forever and, with the right treatment, the cycle is broken, anyway. Next stop...the right treatment!

Carol1952

Carol1952

@Carol1952 Yes, i too see sleep as something to do. I enjoy the bit between waking and falling asleep. Unfortunately I let my mind wander widely when I first begin to wake. That is when the real negative self talk happens.
You got that right i dont even want to stay up it is a hassle just to stay awake.

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

I sleep a lot because of my depression. I'll sleep 12 hours a day almost every day--like clockwork (no pun intended). I look forward to when it's time to go to sleep, because that means I made it through another day.

J

Jono

I sleep a lot because of my depression. I'll sleep 12 hours a day almost every day--like clockwork (no pun intended). I look forward to when it's time to go to sleep, because that means I made it through another day.
Is that with or without medication , I stopped mine a month ago . Now I can’t sleep when I go to bed but sleep too much when I finally do sleep