• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sleep (Or lack of!)

N

Nutter_09

Hi Everyone,

Like most of you here, i am having real trouble sleeping. I now cat nap during the day and still so exausted at night but cant switch off. I have tried all the usual, nytol, hot baths, dark room bla bla. The doc has given me a few different pills which make my body so tired, just not my brain!
Someone got the the Paul McKenna "How to sleep" book and Cd. To start with, the CD sent me straight into sleep, only to wake up every hour and have to listen again. Now it has no effect at all.

Does anyone have any other ideas to try? I hate taking sleeping pills but also really need some sleep right now.

Thanks

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Have you tried rigorous exercise? Sometimes it's the best way to get some natural sleep, if all else fails.
Just a suggestion. :)

S

saffron

Heres what I think sometimes when I can not sleep, what is it that you think of when you are awake, what is it you yearn for, something is not making you content, you are missing something in your life, that no matter what others suggest it is their suggestions based on what they find relaxing, but to get to the point of being able to relax you must have in your mind something that can be a focus rather than a lost hope. I know what I want and now know that it will take a lot of changes in my immediate thoughts that will get me there, so now I what to work on, I can set myself a goal, but not put a time on it, just remind myself not to immediately think that the people have an alteriour motive in what they do and what they say. I is so hard, I know.
sorry, went on a bit then. anyway, I hope you find contentment and be able to sleep peacefully with sweet dreams. go to sleep thinking of happy thoughts.
S:hug::hug: double hugs to make you feel better. thinking of you, :flowers:

A

Apotheosis

Sometimes I take herbal sleep aids & they work, sometimes I take stronger over the counter drugs; & they can work too. If I have to sleep I'll take diazepam, but that is very occasional.

The internet & computers is stimulating; so it is better to find time to relax before sleep, meditation & relaxation helps - a classical music CD & a jostick maybe. Some people seem to find the TV relaxing.

A hot bath can sometimes help too. Sometimes reading sends me off to sleep.

Fresh sheets are good as well.

I know what it's like to not sleep though. Catching up on sleep in afternoons & whenever can help. Also lying in bed, we are still resting. Certain people tell me to have a full a day as possible, with plenty of exercise; & stick to a routine of getting up at a certain time; & roughly in bed at the same time too. Even if you don't sleep well during those times, it sets up the body clock. I find having a sleep routine very hard. I sympathise. :sleep:

D

Dollit

I was a chronic insomniac for years and still have my moments. My doctor tells me except for a little light reading the only things you should do in the bedroom at night are have sex and sleep.

If you can't sleep after 30 minutes get up and go into another room and do something that doesn't stimulate your mind. If you stay in bed and can't sleep or lay still then you will just make matters worse.

I too used to sleep in the afternoon until my consultant made me break the habit, it was hard but it does help in the long run. You don't really catch up on sleep you just artificially alter the circadian rhythmn.

Sleep remedies such as nytol can be good but should be taken over 3 or 4 nights then a break of a week or two. Taking the odd one here and there doesn't help break the cycle. I take a prescribed sleeping pill when necessary or some diazepam but that's because the stress of not sleeping can be very harmful to me.

This is what helped me but not overnight!

N

Nutter_09

Thaks for the advice!
I cant sleep again despite the diazepam. I didn't sleep at all during the day yesterday and know its a case of sticking to a routine but it is hard.
Im up not but not really worrying about much. I had a bad dream about work - signed off for my 2nd week and had a dream about them all slagging me off, and My mum dragging me in their.
I think the thing with sleep is that I need it Sooooo much! Just cant seem to have a good nights full at the moment! Tried it all - but will def stick to a routine.

Thanks again

V

Vanya

I just gave up and sleep when I'm exhausted. There is no point laying in bed getting frustrated. Find some night hobbies. You will be tired in the morning, but what can you do?

Another thing, wake up early, so when you wake up, you are always tired, then hopefully by days end, you'll be ready for sleep.

Once you get 'over-tired', then you've a problem. Sometimes I'm a bit manic, if I've a project I'm on, then I'll skip one or two nights of sleep per week.

C

cotswoldhedges

It's 5am here, and I've been awake now for over 3 hours. I'll be getting up in an hours to see to my animals.

I gotta say that having animals to care for has not only given me a routine, but has allowed me to sleep during the day, so I ain't bothered about not sleeping at night and I do my best work at night, when the house is quiet and I can concentrate better.

I learned while on a trip abroad that some civilizations actually condone a siesta during the day, and I liked that idea, so i do it all the time now.
I usually get around 2 hours in an afternoon, and maybe 6 hours in the night (if I'm lucky).

Which is real nice, because I can keep in contact with my worldwide friends, in their own time zones ;)

Jo1760

Jo1760

I can fully understand how annoying lack of sleep can be, even feeling utterely exhausted i've been awake since 3.30 and thats without sleeping during the day, keeping a routine, taking pescribed tablets (have tried herbal and over the counter but they dont tend to work for me)

I hope you manage to regulate a patteren and stay asleep longer, its very improtant for recovery!

Take care.

X

keepsafe

keepsafe

On meds and my routine is all over the shop - but I agree sleep is very important - it makes me feel much more desperate if I haven;t had any and things seem magnified ten fold and my small grip on relaity goes all together!
Take Care
KS

Q

quality factor

Sleep does become very important to us, sometimes I obsess about not getting sleep. This has an adverse effect tho'...the more I think about sleep, no matter how exhausted, the worse it gets.When you're very uptight , it's hard to relax and get in the right frame of mind to sleep.I've tried to avoid stimulants inc. tele and radio before settling down and coffee, tea, and that seems to help me get off to sleep,trouble is I can't stay asleep.

Jo1760

Jo1760

I agree with you quality factor, I have the same problem in that I feel incrediably tired and fall asleep with ease, but never stay asleep the whole night. The problem with that is taking sleeping tablets and other meds with sedative make me feel tired and unble to function properly in the day time, which was causing me to have issues at work. I always wake up at either 1.30 or 3.30 not sure how I have managed to get myself into that patteren. I also find I dont particularly think about anything when I am awake, i just dont feel tired.

X

D

Dollit

I was told that if you keep a clock by the bed it's important not to check the time if you wake in the night otherwise you programme your brain to wake up at that time every night.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Talina Wellbeing 13
K Wellbeing 4
J Wellbeing 1
Mario82 Wellbeing 10
I Wellbeing 5