• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sleep or i should say lack of sleep

iamdave28

iamdave28

I've always been a bad sleeper so I'm used to not getting a proper nights sleep. As I'm getting older i realise it's getting too much and i must get into a healthy sleeping pattern before i make myself really ill , I'm surprised I'm not already. I always wake up during the night with a bad back or aching legs but before anyone recommends going to see the doctors i have been before , more than once , but they couldn't find anything wrong with my leg or back. Sometimes my body is extremely knackered but my brain is saying , 'I'm not ready to let you sleep' which is really annoying as i will sit up all night doing various things. I have work early mornings , yikes ! I'm trying to give up coffee as that affects everything from sleep , anxiety , mood etc. So having less sleep makes it EXTREMELY hard to stick to my plan of giving up caffeine. What do you guys recommend ? Have you read anything from the likes of Paul Mckenna for sleep ? Taken any supplements ? Listen to a hypnosis CD ? Thanks

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
magnesium is supposed to be good for sleep. there are different ones you can get. i think oxide is the wrong one from the top of my head.
i have taken it and i think it helps my sleep a bit but then i sleep well usually so it can't really improve much.

R

Ruthie

I'm having the same trouble as you Dave. It is ruining my life. I'm tired yet don't sleep. At the moment, I'm taking Zopiclone (7.5 mg) but these will run out soon and I'm sure that my GP won't give me more. They aren't as good as they were as I expect I have a tolerance for them now. What can I do? The prospect of going to work feeling like I have been poleaxed is worrying me. Besides, it isn't attractive looking baggy eyed and crumpled. Aside from that I am one boring person. I am just so tired most of the time that I have no energy. It is having a bad effect on my family life. I suppose it becomes a vicious circle. Any supplement advice? I am taking Lamotrignine - is this causing it? I suspect it might be. Can you tell me what you take? Drugwise? I am on 200 mg of Lamotrignine and 50g of Sertraline. I have had a horrible time but am over it. I just wish I didn't feel like sh**e and could get a good nights kip.

Thanks.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

I've always been a bad sleeper so I'm used to not getting a proper nights sleep. As I'm getting older i realise it's getting too much and i must get into a healthy sleeping pattern before i make myself really ill , I'm surprised I'm not already. I always wake up during the night with a bad back or aching legs but before anyone recommends going to see the doctors i have been before , more than once , but they couldn't find anything wrong with my leg or back. Sometimes my body is extremely knackered but my brain is saying , 'I'm not ready to let you sleep' which is really annoying as i will sit up all night doing various things. I have work early mornings , yikes ! I'm trying to give up coffee as that affects everything from sleep , anxiety , mood etc. So having less sleep makes it EXTREMELY hard to stick to my plan of giving up caffeine. What do you guys recommend ? Have you read anything from the likes of Paul Mckenna for sleep ? Taken any supplements ? Listen to a hypnosis CD ? Thanks
Sorry to hear you're going through a rough time.

I think sleep and regulating it is an extremely big issue for most people with mental health issues. Throw bipolar disorder in to the mix and it can seem impossible to overcome. Yet, it's often stressed as one of the most important things to conquer for wellbeing. I've still not mastered it though.

Giving up caffeine is a good start, I think. As soon as my sleep starts heading towards none-existence, it's the first thing I do. Decaffeinated tea, coffee and soda don't taste quite the same but are worth trying.

I've had no success with supplements and have not tried hypnotherapy, so can't help there. If you love reading at all, you could try audio books. Lie back, close your eyes, put on your headphones and just listen. If it doesn't help with sleep, it should at least relax you. Also, there are lots available free on the Internet.

At the moment, I'm the opposite - sleeping too much. Wouldn't it be nice if we could share it out to help!

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

I'm having the same trouble as you Dave. It is ruining my life. I'm tired yet don't sleep. At the moment, I'm taking Zopiclone (7.5 mg) but these will run out soon and I'm sure that my GP won't give me more. They aren't as good as they were as I expect I have a tolerance for them now. What can I do? The prospect of going to work feeling like I have been poleaxed is worrying me. Besides, it isn't attractive looking baggy eyed and crumpled. Aside from that I am one boring person. I am just so tired most of the time that I have no energy. It is having a bad effect on my family life. I suppose it becomes a vicious circle. Any supplement advice? I am taking Lamotrignine - is this causing it? I suspect it might be. Can you tell me what you take? Drugwise? I am on 200 mg of Lamotrignine and 50g of Sertraline. I have had a horrible time but am over it. I just wish I didn't feel like sh**e and could get a good nights kip.

Thanks.
Hi Ruthie,

Sorry to hear that you too are having trouble with sleep. I can't offer much in the way of advice but just wanted to say hello and welcome to the forum.

I've not tried the medication you are on so could not say whether this has an effect on your sleep but I know there are people on here who take them and could probably give you a satisfactory response.

tiltawhirl

tiltawhirl

Bristol, TN/VA, USA (near mountains and 6 hours fr
From Purple Chaos:

"I think sleep and regulating it is an extremely big issue for most people with mental health issues. Throw bipolar disorder in to the mix and it can seem impossible to overcome. Yet, it's often stressed as one of the most important things to conquer for wellbeing. I've still not mastered it though."

It is ever so important. I would try setting a regular bedtime. Then dimming the lights, turning off the tv, the computer and other stimulating things for an hour or more before going to bed. I have been told a warm bath helps. I use and think they make a difference, herbal relaxing teas for several hours before bedtime.
Melatonin is a natural supplement too. I like white noise to help me doze off too.

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Yes! One of my support workers raved about white noise. She found it very therapeutic for sleep and relaxation (and to just block out any unwanted noise). I've not tried it yet but it's on my ever-increasing to-do list.

Another thing to try, if you are so inclined, could be to write any worries, thoughts etc. down sometime before you go to bed - in a kind of 'I'll leave my worries on the paper...' type thing. It sometimes works if your head's all over the place. But, then again, I'm a huge fan of writing everything down anyway!