Sleep issues related to anxiety

Laurels

Laurels

I can barely sleep due to my anxiety
I have a lot of unpleasant dreams and I wake up very anxious
Sometimes I wake up crying,I get panic attacks and intrusive thoughts.
It's hard to feel rested
Does anybody have advice on how to deal with this?

W

Wildfire

What are you doing before you sleep? Are you reading something specific or watching something on TV?

I found a bit of time away from screens and reading something I enjoy (e.g. not a thriller or something tense) helps. I also take a Valerian tea every now and then along with ZMA and 5-htp supplements after I exercise.

Bernardos

Bernardos

Yeah it's good to analyse what you're doing and thinking before you go to bed.
Do you have these thoughts the whole day or only when you go to sleep
?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Keep computers out of the bedroom because the light stimulates the back of your eyes. Ideally have some light reading and a warm drink , not coffee either herbal or milky and maybe try and practice mindfulness tequniques

Laurels

Laurels

What are you doing before you sleep? Are you reading something specific or watching something on TV?

I found a bit of time away from screens and reading something I enjoy (e.g. not a thriller or something tense) helps. I also take a Valerian tea every now and then along with ZMA and 5-htp supplements after I exercise.
Thank you for your reply!!! I've never tried reading before bed, I don't use my TV and I try to avoid spending time on my computer before I sleep.
I drink lavender tea/ herbal tea sometimes and I take melatonin supplements before bed

Laurels

Laurels

Yeah it's good to analyse what you're doing and thinking before you go to bed.
Do you have these thoughts the whole day or only when you go to sleep
?
I get intrusive thoughts the whole day, they manifest in my dreams a lot, which wakes me up in a state of panic, it's a vicious cycle
It just keeps getting harder and harder to get a good night's sleep lately. Thank you for your response!

Laurels

Laurels

Keep computers out of the bedroom because the light stimulates the back of your eyes. Ideally have some light reading and a warm drink , not coffee either herbal or milky and maybe try and practice mindfulness tequniques
Thank you so much for the advice! I'll try and see if it helps

W

Wildfire

Recently I have been trying the 4-7-8 method of breathing which I find works really well.

Inhale for a count of 4, hold for a count of 7 and then exhale (slowly) for a count of 8. I do this and occasionally find myself drifting off around the hold stage and then once I'm there, I breath slowly and normally. I'm usually off quite soon after.

I've used it quite a lot when I wake up in the middle of the night worrying about something.