• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Sleep Apnea and Depression

T

telemetry9

It is thought that a large number of people may have undiagnosed Sleep Apnea or sleep disorder. A lot of health problems result from this condition such as Depression and psychological disorders as well as increased Cardiovascular problems and higher risk of stroke and premature death.

If you are overweight and wake up tired (or average weight) and have daytime sleepiness and exhaustion then it might be worth getting checked for this silent and very dangerous condition in which sufferers actually stop breathing up to 300 times every night. They never attain the restoring REM sleep because of the condition.

Sleep Apnea is one of the most undiagnosed diseases in the UK and yet has a simple treatment that works for 99% of sufferers. Snoring loudly can also be an indicator of possible sleep apnea with periods of the person seemingly stopping breathing altogether. The body then has to wake itself up in order to push air through the throat to re open it.

The effects are devastating on an individual's quality of life and they soon lose interest in work and hobbies etc... and can become clinically depressed as a result of constant sleep deprivation although it is likely they won't consider they have a condition because it happens when they are unconscious.

If you are unsure but think you may have the disorder then get your partner to record your snoring and breathing while your are asleep or use a personal recorder to record yourself if you are single and live alone.

It was my sister who noticed that I stopped breathing at regular intervals (inbetween snoring) when we were on holiday and she could hear me gasping for breath in her room. I am now being referred to a sleep clinic for the overnight test for sleep apnea. I'm still not sure I have this condition but the possibility of having a stroke because of sleep deprivation and the possibility of my depression being helped by restoring my sleeping pattern - I feel I had to at least get it checked on behalf of my sister's concern for me.

I'll let you know how I get on when my referral comes through from the hospital to spend the night there.

all the best
Robert.

D

Dollit

I had to have quite a bit of surgery due to the fact I was snoring and I had sleep apnoea and while it hasn't stopped the depressive part of my illness, being able to sleep through the night does improve my ability to cope. That and the fact I can sleep more easily now helps.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
U My night: mom, call me at 10...sleep..i will hear your voice..lay...hope..lost Depression Forum 5
L Sleep Depression Forum 7
B Sleep Depression Forum 2
Vante Can't really sleep my depression is acting up again Depression Forum 3
A Depression and Sleep Depression Forum 8
K My cat has been put to sleep Depression Forum 30
C Does anyone else just want to sleep and not wake up? Depression Forum 11
A 'Sometimes I still sleep on beach, remembering when stars were in reach.' Depression Forum 1
E Needing sleep Depression Forum 4
Z What’s the last thing you think of before sleep? Depression Forum 36
MeAndMyDepression How many hours a day do you sleep? Depression Forum 30
R depression from sleep disorders/difficulty Depression Forum 4
C Sleep and Mood Depression Forum 9
G I can't sleep. Depression Forum 1
G Suicidal from lack of sleep Depression Forum 50
E Excessive sleep+depression+OCD= lost Depression Forum 2
F Sleep and Lithium Depression Forum 8
Fairy Lucretia amy was put to sleep Depression Forum 14
R Can't Sleep Depression Forum 24
THE MANDALORIAN I tried to sleep Depression Forum 2
J Need help with sleep..... What works for you Depression Forum 29
T Treatment-Resistant Depression, Lethargy, Sleep Apnoea Depression Forum 5
Capt Hooke Sleep and Depression Depression Forum 11
G I have a major sleep problem Depression Forum 29
C just want to sleep. Depression Forum 8
R Can't Sleep Depression Forum 3
U Little sleep or no sleep Depression Forum 2
R Can't Get Back To Sleep Depression Forum 3
L please help. i need to reset my sleep schedule Depression Forum 20
P Sleep problems coming off Sertraline Depression Forum 1
H Sleep Depression Forum 4
Capt Hooke Do Sleep Problems Cause Depression? Depression Forum 21
J really odd sleep behavior please help Depression Forum 2
Fairy Lucretia im worried so can't sleep Depression Forum 4
Coreen I don't think I get enough sleep Depression Forum 7
TheSea Sleep Depression Forum 7
Sorry state I can't sleep and losing control Depression Forum 8
R Slowly trying to break out of all nighters and sleep ins Depression Forum 7
C A whole month without sleep Depression Forum 5
P How do I improve my sleep and get to bed at a responsible time whilst my mind is constantly active ? Depression Forum 8
M Can't sleep Depression Forum 1
M i can't sleep at night Depression Forum 4
B Depression,Anxiety and sleep Depression Forum 2
O People with long term depression, how do you sleep? Depression Forum 9
D I can't sleep at all Depression Forum 6
R I can't sleep. Depression Forum 19
B unable to sleep without taking resperidone. how to treat this? Depression Forum 7
B Thoughts on sleep? Depression Forum 3
Fairy Lucretia want to die in my sleep Depression Forum 5
nickybow86 Can't sleep .. mind won't shut up Depression Forum 2