• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Sleep and Mood

C

Cardigon

I can have what I think is a great night's sleep but wake up with brain fog, irritability, fatigue, low mood, etc. All I can do is lay in bed in the dark on these days. The next night I will get the same sleep but wake up energized, clear headed and positive. This happens often and it is so frustrating. I have sleep apnea and have been on cpap but it hasn't helped. Could this be medication related? Brain chemical related? Or sleep related like narcolepsy? Has anybody else had experience with sleep and mood? Especially such a major swing in mood from one day to the next with just one night inbetween?

S

StillDepressed

Unfortunately you don't always know what is going on in your sleep. I also have sometimes wake up refreshed and sometimes not. I have mild sleep apnea and if I have slept through I would have no idea if I starved myself of oxygen during the night and that could cause me to be more irritable.

Meds can affect your sleep and so could dreams, if you have had vivid dreams you can wake up restless, even if you did not remember the dream because your brain did not shut off properly.

But remember there is a phrase 'woke up on the wrong side of the bed' because people can just wake up fatigued and negative, so you maybe overthinking it.

That said, if it seriously concerns you speak to a doctor, you say the CPAP didn't help, try ruling out vivid dreams - only with doctors advice and this is an option not recommendation - I understand you can get sleeping tablets that prevent dreams which maybe able to rule it out as an issue

C

Cardigon

Thank you for the advice! You're right, it is hard to guess what it might be. I do know it's not just a bad day because it happens way too often. A few days a year here and there I can understand but this is often, even when my anti depressant is working. We will see....

T

treasurebox

Before sleeping, it will be good to not think of disturbing, troubling and negative thoughts. A bath may help, too. Listen to calming and relaxing music online.

To set a good mood upon waking up, you may listen to good, motivational and uplifting songs on youtube. Good music energizes and lifts your spirit.

R

Roo

I can have what I think is a great night's sleep but wake up with brain fog, irritability, fatigue, low mood, etc. All I can do is lay in bed in the dark on these days. The next night I will get the same sleep but wake up energized, clear headed and positive. This happens often and it is so frustrating. I have sleep apnea and have been on cpap but it hasn't helped. Could this be medication related? Brain chemical related? Or sleep related like narcolepsy? Has anybody else had experience with sleep and mood? Especially such a major swing in mood from one day to the next with just one night inbetween?
I have these days all the time and for years. When I was in my darkest place the drs put it down to the stress, anxiety and depression but what is it for the rest of those years?

E

EclipticNight

Its also possible you are getting to much rest and not burning off enough energy and you wake up sleep drunk. Try to burn some energy and see if that helps.

jajingna

jajingna

sleeping tablets that prevent dreams
Wow. Never heard of that. Seems to me dreams are important. Not so much the content of the dreams or whatever they might mean (god knows they can be a total mess), but just that the mind/brain uses dreams as a way to process things, I guess. Like dreaming helps us somehow.

C

Cardigon

I described this to my provider today and he said even though we fall asleep, that our anxiety is still there wearing our brains out. He said that's where the fatigue comes from. So here we go with the same cycle again. No restful sleep because of anxiety and the depression feels worse. I hate this disease.

C

Cardigon

I forgot to mention in the original post that I will wake up because I hold my breath and stop breathing which he said was a symptom of the anxiety. And we all know how worse our irritability and depression gets when we haven't slept.