• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Sleep and Depression

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

There isn't a sub-forum specific to sleep (pity). For a long time sleep problems tended to be seen as symptoms of depression, though in more recent times, a few researchers have questioned whether it could be the other way round, and that sleep problems are the cause of depression. Of course the terrible fact is that what causes what is all still pretty much of a guessing game at the present time, and the medics are no better at treating sleep problems than depression.

One of the very few things that seems to help me get to sleep some of the time is playing a recordings of Ocean Waves. There are lots of such recordings available, some of which are much better than others. Ones with yelling sea birds and not good nor are ones which includes sounds of "trickling water".

Anyone know of any good ones? I'd love to go down to St Ives with recorder and record the beaches there!

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
I don't know anything well-known but i do like smooth classics, which isn't the same thing i know, but it is played late at night at the time when people with insomnia should be going to sleep.

I have also read that too much sleep causes depression, in those with a mood disorder.

Lack of sleep means you are unwell mentally. Any sleep problem. It is a result of mental health illnesses

B

bazza

I think sleep and depression/anxiety seem to run along side each other,when im in low mood I find it hard to go to sleep and wake early not getting back to sleep but still don't want to get up in the morning.when im feeling ok I don't have sleep problems,so I presume for me they go together my mind just doesn't switch off.Have tried mindfulness and meditation but cant do either its so hard knowing what to try any ideas?

OCDguy

OCDguy

For me there is a bigger picture. The bigger picture in my opinion is forming a base level of functionality. For the Body we use routines (regular times for sleeping, regular times for meals and ideally regular times for exercise). For the Mind we use discipline (sticking to the routines for the Body could be a good starting point). Hope this helps :)

S

SL01

For me there is a bigger picture. The bigger picture in my opinion is forming a base level of functionality. For the Body we use routines (regular times for sleeping, regular times for meals and ideally regular times for exercise). For the Mind we use discipline (sticking to the routines for the Body could be a good starting point). Hope this helps :)
I like that idea. I might give this a try. I’ve never had a set daily routine. I eat whenever I feel like it. Sometimes I sleep at 11 pm, but sometimes it’s after midnight. Sleeping is a struggle for me regardless of when I sleep though. The more anxious I am, the worst I sleep.

OCDguy

OCDguy

We all need stability in life, in my opinion our physical bodies are no different :)

R

RedYeti

I researched sleep quite a lot whilst at uni for one of my modules as well as just personal interest.

One important thing to maintain is your sleep hygiene. It refers to the environment you’re sleeping in. Your bed should only be for 2 things - sleeping and getting down. If you like to read or watch tv before bed it’s best to do it somewhere else.

The colour blue and LEDs are also harmful to sleep. It’s a trait of evolution, when we see the colour blue our body thinks it’s clear skies so it releases hormones to wake us up, so pretty handy to try and avoid when you’re trying to snooze.

As someone mentioned earlier (I think?) routine is vital. Our body cycles through a thing called ‘Circadian rhythm’ it’s just refers to the cycle of hormones we release during a 24 hour cycle, it syncs up with out environment, ques being things like light and eating. Maintaining this can really help. My doc said to me today, it’s important to get out of bed at the same time everyday, even if you’re not getting to sleep until late.

There’s one technique I use when struggling that might help - progressive muscular relaxation. Pretty Simple. When you’re laying in bed, tense your calves for for 10-15 seconds then relax, repeat the same up your body. It helps your body to feel looser and can help you relax into your sleep. A lot of people pair this with relaxing music or things, you can probably find a guided one online somewhere.

sorry if this isn’t what you were looking for, I’ve got a lot of info in my brain I just sometimes need to throw up somewhere

Very wordy I know, so congrats if you made it to the end.

Peace

OCDguy

OCDguy

I agree it's important the Mind and Body associate bed time with sleeping. If it feels like it's impossible to sleep though, the next best thing is to relax, which may mean some form of activity... In my opinion it is okay to carry out that relaxed activity in bed as long as the Mind/Body associates it with the next best thing to actually sleeping... i agree I think it's important to stick to ideal times for going to bed and ideal times for getting up... What does everybody else think :)

R

RedYeti

I agree it's important the Mind and Body associate bed time with sleeping. If it feels like it's impossible to sleep though, the next best thing is to relax, which may mean some form of activity... In my opinion it is okay to carry out that relaxed activity in bed as long as the Mind/Body associates it with the next best thing to actually sleeping... i agree I think it's important to stick to ideal times for going to bed and ideal times for getting up... What does everybody else think :)
yeah of course, it’s very individual. If you find what works for you then keep it up

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

Lack of sleep means you are unwell mentally. Any sleep problem. It is a result of mental health illnesses
Firstly, some people do not suffer from lack of sleep, but do find it hard to sync with the 24 hour clock, typically, syncing to a slightly longer day. This is not uncommon among people of have lost both eyes (often, military people). I have no data on the subject but I'm sure that not all such people become depressives, and certainly, the initial cause of their problem was not related to mental health. You need to be careful about the "logic" you are offering.

Re classic music, an interesting thing to do is tune to a continental station playing classic music on a medium wave radio. In the middle of the night the signal strength will fade in and out and you can drop off as it fades out, and probably remain asleep even when the signal comes back.

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
My consultant psychiatrist told me that poor sleep is a sign of underlying mental illness.

I cannot imagine he was using logic? Maybe i should not believe everything psychiatrists tell me?

I presumed you were looking for support but clearly you just wanted information on music so apologies for replying.