• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sleep - Advice needed?

Jo1760

Jo1760

:sleep:
I am, probably like many on this forum having massive issues sleeping. I'm not sure I could actually remember the last good nights sleep I had without taking sleeping tablets.

So far i've tried all the obvious things:
Trying to relax before bed
Keeping a routine
Having a bath
Warm drinks
Not eating too late
Lavender
Scented pillow spray
Herbal SLeeping tablets, nitol etc..
Night nurse

My doctor will only perscribe 10 Sleeping tablets per month and i'm find this are a real struggle. I also never have a problem fallening asleep, but always wake up at either 1.30 / 2.30 or 3.30 the times rarely varys - Its also never because i'm too hot/ cold or anything as woken me. I'm just wide awake.

If anyone has any other tips i could try i'd be very grateful!

Thanks.

X

A

Apotheosis

Those are all good suggestions - & I have used all of them too at one stage or another.

I have been sleeping a lot better recently - I think that this is due to 2 reasons. The first is exercise - I have been a lot more physically active & doing a lot of walking. The other reason is that I have been focusing a lot on being as relaxed as possible; & letting go of as much as possible. Through meditation, breathing techniques, & other methods; to switch off as much as possible.

Fear & Worry are the problems - not the things we can be afraid & worried about. :)

Jo1760

Jo1760

Thank you Apotheosis,

i'm glad your managing to sleep better. I do find it a real strain not sleeping well.

I had forgotten to say, I do excerise regularly. I take my dog walking for at least 4 miles every day.

Its right what you said about anxity and worry being the factors keepingus awake. I just wish there was something else I could do about it.

X

A

Apotheosis

Its right what you said about anxity and worry being the factors keepingus awake. I just wish there was something else I could do about it.

X
It is a hard one - but there are things that can be done about it. I suppose that recognising the 'core problems' is a big step - identifying what the actual difficulties are. Then redressing how we deal with them. Mindfulness & detachment are good practices - Dollit practices mindfulness a lot.

I have been practising just not thinking about certain things. When I get certain feelings, & emotions - I can usually trace that back to certain trains of thought - almost like a whirlpool of thinking that is bottomless, pointless, & leads to certain troublesome emotions. I simply stop myself going down certain paths of thought. It sounds very simple & it is. It hasn't freed me totally from anxieties & fears - but it has helped. I also try to just keep my focus in the day - letting go as much as possible of the past & not projecting into the future. It is a powerful & effective practice; to try as best we can to live in the moment.

D

Dollit

Jo, do you mind me asking how you take your sleeping tablets. Do you take one now and then or a couple of nights in a row?

Jo1760

Jo1760

Hi Dollit.

I tend to take one on a sunday night so that i have a good nights sleep before the start of the week then by Thursay i'm normally really struggling and take one thursday night.

I really am finding only sleeping a max of 3 hours a night very draining at the moment.

X

D

Dollit

You'd probably be better off taking one for three nights and then having a break of several days. Taking one for one night doesn't help to break the bad sleep hygiene. I had this advice from my consultant a few years ago and it does help. He said you can take sleeping tablets up to 50% of the time with a low risk of addiction.

Last edited:
S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi Jo.3 hours isn't much is it.I feel for you.
I've just come back from an anxiety group and the subject was sleep.

Jo1760

Jo1760

Dollit,

Thank you very much. It does make sence - i'll give that try. I hadn't thought about taking them like that before, I guess I just took them when I was utterly shattered.

I'm glad it worked for you taking them like that.

Thanks,

X

Jo1760

Jo1760

Hi Olanza,

Thank you....

I really was at such a loss as to what to do. I've booked into see an osteopath next week in the hope maybe he could suggest something.

I hope your anxity group was helpful??

I am due to start therapy within the next month and hope that will give me some useful tips.

X

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Talina Wellbeing 13
Nirvana2991 Wellbeing 13
Mario82 Wellbeing 10
I Wellbeing 5
B Wellbeing 9