• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

skipping heart beats

Middleofnowhere

Middleofnowhere

Today has been horrific so far. I woke up feeling ok then out of nowhere my heart stops in my chest. It started right back up and I felt better. Then about an hour later I felt it stop again. It usually starts right back up but this time it didn't. It felt like it stopped forever. When it did stay again or didn't beat normally. It felt like flutters and it sent me into a panic. I took a xanax and am trying to relax now. I'm terrified I'm dying. Does anyone else experience this? What do you do to help yourself?
I have been to a doctor and they say it's all normal I just have anxiety but this feels like death.

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
How do you know that your heart stopped?

Unless you have a heart monitor connected to 24/7 then you can never be sure.

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Middleofnowhere

Middleofnowhere

I feel it. I have a heart monitor and they concluded that I'm getting benign pvcs. the only reason I was panicking today is because it just felt different. I've always been hyper aware of my heart beat and the doctor says that's probably why I feel them so much while some people don't even notice.

thanks for the welcome.

SarahD

SarahD

It sounds like missed beats, which are common, and palpitations. It could be anxiety, or it could be side effects of some drugs.

If you are worried you can ask your doctor to arrange a 24 hour heart monitor. It is a. bit like an ECG, they wire you up but to a small unit which you can wear under your clothes for 24 hours and it records what happens. Later a computer will analyse it to see if there is a problem. An ordinary ECG is just a snapshot result of one moment in time and may not pick up symptoms that aren't continual.

If it is anxiety it will settle down.

Gajolene

Gajolene

I've have that happen when my panick attacks were extream and my stress and anxiety are off the charts. Your xanax may help it. It isn't permanent, but it doesn't make it any less scary when it does happen. I used to do lay down yoga deep breathing exercises when the heart palpitations were bad. It does help. Eating right helps as well. If it continues you can arrange to have a walking heart monitor on with your doc for a few days, they will scan the recorded results to rule out anything physical that could be causing it other than your anxiety and stress. Hope this helps and welcome to the forum from me too. I found too stressing over the palpitations would make them more frequent, so try not to dwell on them too much.

Middleofnowhere

Middleofnowhere

thanks for replying. the xanax had helped me calm down. it also helps to know that other people have been through it as well.

it seems to come and go. it usually gets worse right before spring starts and starts to lighten up when summer comes.

this had been happening to me for about 15 years and fire some reason I'm letting it get to me really bad now. It used to not bother me as much. I could just blow it off. unfortunately I've lost the ability to do that.

P

panictastic

I have missed beats or palpatations...whatever you want to call them on a daily basis, it is quite frightening. My GP sent me to the hospital for an ECG where they picked up the "skipped beats" and told me they were completely normal and just a beat coming from a slightly different part of the heart. Beta blockers were offered to stop me feeling them. Try not to worry, I know it is almost impossible :)

Domino

Domino

Hi!!
I have a heart condition, I have a loop recorder fitted in my chest to monitor my heart.
I get major panic attacks and it's really scary to wonder what's a panic and what's my heart!!
I find myself panicking more when it happens and obviously makes the issue worse.
I have a terrible fear of death and can't remember how many times I've called a ambulance out of sheet terror I was dying.
You aren't alone. It is terrifying.
What I try to do now is remind myself I go through this often and it's no worse than before.
To ride the storm and if it worsens I know.
Best wishes xxx

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Hi,
I get palpitations and a tight feeling around my chest and back - I've been to hospital several times but my hearts fine - it's anxiety. I'm on beta blockers now and anxiety wise I'm symptom free!
Best of luck to you x