• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Skin picking

Talula67

Talula67

Hi guys,

I have realised I have a problem with skin picking. My skin is relatively clear but every know and again I get a boil that appears.

I get such a strong urge to burst it and become obsessed. I try and burst it - even though it is not ready to pop.

I do it more when I am stressed and most recently I became aware of a single boil on my back that was in line with my bra-strap clasp. A hard to reach area.

I have spent a whole weekend trying to reach it, having hot baths, boiling kettles and putting the water on cotton wool and made my arm sore trying to reach around to it.

Does anyone else have an overwhelming all encompassing urge to remove a skin boil / pimple.

I haven't only just realised how much of a problem this is. I used to have bad acne as a teenager, but my skin is fine now apart from if I have any type of spot/ pimple/ boil I have to remove it.

The relief I feel when all the yellow has gone is calmness but takes ages for the sore to go and scars.

This has to stop but I cannot stop it on my own.

Thanks for reading 🙏

Bod

Bod

I totally bloody dislike having a pimple on my back as it drives me mad as I just can't reach them when one comes up, but thank god my other half is here to rescue me from them. Please be very careful as it could make it. a damn sight worse.

Talula67

Talula67

I totally bloody dislike having a pimple on my back as it drives me mad as I just can't reach them when one comes up, but thank god my other half is here to rescue me from them. Please be very careful when you are using any sharp instruments as you really need to be very careful as it could make it. a damn sight worse.
Thanks Bod, I did ask my daughter to come and help at one point but carried on regardless. :panic:

I may pop in the walk-in centre after work to get them look at it as I feel I have really made it worse and now I'm overthinking the damage I've caused.

Thanks Bod :hug1:

Bod

Bod

Good that you will try and see someone in the walk-in clinic, but try not to do it again as you could make it worse. I hope you get it sorted out though.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
This site might have useful information...

I hope you can get help and support for this issue.

Talula67

Talula67

This site might have useful information...

I hope you can get help and support for this issue.
Thank you 😊

Zero One

Zero One

I have been doing this lately, and there is one that is not healing well and the voices took me over tonight and told my mom I have been hurting myself and it is not healing well and I could get gangrene. So my mom asked me what I did and I told her. I was really annoyed 😠 that they told my mom.

A

Anxietyhell

I observed my mother ( now elderly) do this all my life.. She would find a spot /pimple on her face or somewhere else, and would spend hours skin picking until she'd caused harm...I came to conclusion it was a combination of a nervous habit, and just the urge to pick...

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

hi ,i hope you are ok?
i have a similar thing i do ,i pick my scalp ,i get sores,it just helps when im stressed
hope you are feeling better today? x

Zero One

Zero One

hi ,i hope you are ok?
i have a similar thing i do ,i pick my scalp ,i get sores,it just helps when im stressed
hope you are feeling better today? x
I used to do this but my hair was thinning out because of it, so the dermatologist prescribed ketoconazole shampoo and some daily treatment thing with fluocinonide. The problem I have now is how to bathe and wash my hair more often.

K

Keesha

Yes. I’m somewhat ocd and ingrown hairs, pimples, blackheads drive me nuts and like Fairy Lucretia, I used to pick at my scalp at times to the point of obsession but have since stopped. Thank goodness. It’s an annoying habit to have to deal with. I wish you the best.

slowturtle

slowturtle

I do this too, all the time.

Type in commodone extraction on youtube

I think its likely to be a very common habit for most people

Like biting your nails

Zero One

Zero One

Now the injuries are getting too numerous and taking up a lot of my time and space. My mom has a triple antibiotic ointment , it was giving a hard time to open but she said I can keep it. I was so happy about that.

These things are driving me. Crazy though...so many flashbacks and paranoia.