• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Signs of Schizophrenia?

M

molmillicent

This is gonna be long and I apologize. Im kind of at a loss right now. Please bare with me.

I have always assumed my husband was autistic with anger issues. I still think he has autism because he has several signs but his anger is more than just anger. He will explode and say things I would not say to my worst enemy, throw/ruin things, stab furniture with knives, injure himself himself in the face repeatedly etc etc etc. When he calms back down he claims to not remember most of what happened or severely down plays it, or, says it was something I did or said that started it.. he will say things like 'well I just needed help with something today and I felt like everyone was resisting me and I started to get frustrated and then things escalated. - When truthfully what happened was more like he kicked my door open and started right off with an attitude/yelling/demanding something because he was frustrated. He has had anger issues for years and been kicked out of every place he's been in because of it, but when he talks about it half the time he'll admit he played a roll in it, the other half of the time he sincerely acts like everyone is truly against him, people just dont care about him (he says that all the time), that he cant trust anyone etc.

here's where my question comes in..I have never thought he could be schizophrenic but 4 different people (2 of whom never met him) said he sounds like he is suffering from schizophrenia. Today I placed a call to the hospital and ask them where I could go for help, they could hear him yelling in the background so they sent the cops to the house. One of them pulled me aside and asked if he was ever diagnosed with anything, I said not formally because he doesnt 'believe' in that kind of thing and doesn't believe he has any mental issues, the cop told me he suspected schizophrenia ..Another person who said it was a doctor. Not one that had met him or diagnosed him, she was told about his behavior and said that's what it sounded like. I don't fully understand schizophrenia. I don't think he hears voices or hallucinates but he does remember things incorrectly a lot, downplay his role in things, and swear to things that didn't happen the way he thinks they did.

If I can add any more info that would help please let me know.. If I threw every example up here this would turn into a novel. I also want to clarify he's never been physically violent with me..I don't feel like I am in any immediate danger, I am just incredibly stressed. Anything can set him off into one of these melt downs. From someone saying something wrong (or something he perceives as wrong) or him having a plan and then that plan getting messed up in some way ..I never know when to expect a complete melt down and to have terrible things screamed in my face. Sometimes he can be so sweet and gentle and I feel so bad for him that everyone gave up on him..other times I fully understand why.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lab rat

You’re husband is acting like an ass and needs help before someone gets hurt, it may well be he himself who gets hurt.

even when I’m in full flight psychosis I can still be reached. Years back, I was under stress and flipped. I went to the shed, got an axe and started smashing my way through a neighbours half glass door. I needed to get it out of my system so went on a rampage. Luckily my wife guessed where I was heading and cut me off (turned out it was just in the nick of time. Every police officer, dogs, firearms squad and helicopters came out looking for me)

I may be in a state and unreasonable but I can be reached. We are all ultimately responsible for our own behaviour, sometimes we need to reach out for help before tragedy strikes

Passionflower

Passionflower

Please don't put up with his behaviour as you deserve better. I have schizophrenia but would never behave in the way he has done. We still have a choice how we behave ultimately. Even in the depth of psychosis I still knew right from wrong.

T

Thelma27

I agree I hope I always know right from wrong i am normally very calm but when I pushed beyond my capabilities I do tend to react sometimes in an unreasonable manner but I always know not to cross certain boundaries there has been a few times where I thought I was in danger and reacted badly

T

TheHeartHasAVoice

This is gonna be long and I apologize. Im kind of at a loss right now. Please bare with me.

I have always assumed my husband was autistic with anger issues. I still think he has autism because he has several signs but his anger is more than just anger. He will explode and say things I would not say to my worst enemy, throw/ruin things, stab furniture with knives, injure himself himself in the face repeatedly etc etc etc. When he calms back down he claims to not remember most of what happened or severely down plays it, or, says it was something I did or said that started it.. he will say things like 'well I just needed help with something today and I felt like everyone was resisting me and I started to get frustrated and then things escalated. - When truthfully what happened was more like he kicked my door open and started right off with an attitude/yelling/demanding something because he was frustrated. He has had anger issues for years and been kicked out of every place he's been in because of it, but when he talks about it half the time he'll admit he played a roll in it, the other half of the time he sincerely acts like everyone is truly against him, people just dont care about him (he says that all the time), that he cant trust anyone etc.

here's where my question comes in..I have never thought he could be schizophrenic but 4 different people (2 of whom never met him) said he sounds like he is suffering from schizophrenia. Today I placed a call to the hospital and ask them where I could go for help, they could hear him yelling in the background so they sent the cops to the house. One of them pulled me aside and asked if he was ever diagnosed with anything, I said not formally because he doesnt 'believe' in that kind of thing and doesn't believe he has any mental issues, the cop told me he suspected schizophrenia ..Another person who said it was a doctor. Not one that had met him or diagnosed him, she was told about his behavior and said that's what it sounded like. I don't fully understand schizophrenia. I don't think he hears voices or hallucinates but he does remember things incorrectly a lot, downplay his role in things, and swear to things that didn't happen the way he thinks they did.

If I can add any more info that would help please let me know.. If I threw every example up here this would turn into a novel. I also want to clarify he's never been physically violent with me..I don't feel like I am in any immediate danger, I am just incredibly stressed. Anything can set him off into one of these melt downs. From someone saying something wrong (or something he perceives as wrong) or him having a plan and then that plan getting messed up in some way ..I never know when to expect a complete melt down and to have terrible things screamed in my face. Sometimes he can be so sweet and gentle and I feel so bad for him that everyone gave up on him..other times I fully understand why.
He simply seems disturbed. I would be careful of labelling someone especially with schizophrenia. If he isn't showing signs leave it that way or he could get more disturbed. I think he needs loving attention because he seems like he's in pain and it would help to get to the source of that instead of looking at the surface. Every ocean has its depths. If there is a lot of stress somewhere try reducing that because people take their pains out on others.

Peace

K

karl7

hey molmillicent, its hard tosay whether your husband has sz or not....in my opinion as a schizpohrenic i would imagine no as he does not speak of external influences eg hearing voices, having command hallucinations, very strange beliefs (delusions)....but what did strike me about your husband (from what you said) is he may be borderline personality disorder. You should google it. I hope this helps.....also i just want to say your husband definitely does sound like he needs therapy, so youre going in the right direction.