• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Sideeffects

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
One of the side effects of my meds is tiredness, i'm nervous about mentioning it to the psychiatrist as it'll start him on a search for a drug without side effects, which as all drugs have side efects, will only end when i learn to not mention side effects

I've been on a number of meds and quite like the one i'm on

I suspect thats how psychiatrists handle unconvenient facts, by putting pressure on their patients not to mention them

As people know i'm concerned about the benefit proposals, how can i explain tiredness makes it difficult to work when i'm under pressure not to mention it

A

Apotheosis

Hello Rambo - I am on the same drug you are on, albeit a lower dose; although I think we vary so very much as human beings, that drug dose is by the by, a small dose can effect some people greatly & others be not as affected by a large dose. I think it depends allot on the individual makeup.

I have been plodding along to the psych every 3-4 months, for a 5 min appointment. Not complaining. On the whole I do cope well, but I am not a recovered/cured person. I take a powerful drug which has strong side effects. I have been on this drug over 10 years. I get many side effects. A main one is tiredness, but also apathy, exhaustion, & general malaise. I am not lazy; getting things done is a real struggle & my life has been an enormous effort in survival. Due I think to not having been in hospital for a long time, & being able to live independently; I don't think the professionals much care. As long as I'm not running around the streets naked with a carving knife, then I don't think they are bothered in the slightest.

On my last appointment I did chat about a long term goal of eventually being in some kind of work - if I can improve things in my life. Well I have a CPA mailed to me which was inaccurate to say the least, it angered & worried me, as it painted a picture of someone who has been mentally stable for years, no problems, & wants to soon be in work. I have written the psych a long letter, around 6 pages, explaining my day to day difficulties, side effects, lack of support etc. An honest look at my life. I have heard nothing back. I have an appointment in a few weeks & I will see what they have to say. With all this benefit reform from our fascist Government in the works I have been concerned. I had a benefit review form in the post the other day, which has got me riled as well. Maybe I am worrying for no reason. It sickens me; on one hand I want to do the best I can in life & to be as functioning as I can. While on the other hand I have minimal support & help from psych services; unless there has been a crisis - in which case I am sedated & locked up, & I am forced into the position of hoop jumping like some performing dog to justify the fact I have to rely on benefits. What a bunch of callous Wank*rs.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
I understand exactly what you say Apo. Just because your stable does not mean you are capable of work. I know i can go for two or three weeks and be fine, then i feel like sh#t for a week. Also my sleep patterns are horrendous, and some days i struggle to stay awake.

To me it just seems that the powers that be feel that if your stable to them you are cured. With taking no consideration at all for the stress that may be caused by returning to work. It was my work that finally tipped me over the edge and am sure i wouldnt last long if i returned

A

Apotheosis

I understand exactly what you say Apo. Just because your stable does not mean you are capable of work. I know i can go for two or three weeks and be fine, then i feel like sh#t for a week. Also my sleep patterns are horrendous, and some days i struggle to stay awake.

To me it just seems that the powers that be feel that if your stable to them you are cured. With taking no consideration at all for the stress that may be caused by returning to work. It was my work that finally tipped me over the edge and am sure i wouldnt last long if i returned
Exactly my feelings. I haven't worked in over 10 years. Every period of work before then has ended in hospitalisation &/or serious illness. The work has been a large contributing factor.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
They come up with independent living then as my mother puts it they say your better off away from home, then if you are the benefit system persecutes the hell out of you.

I haven't been in hospital for 30yrs, i suspect the reason their now talking reduction is thats one of the guidelines in the elderly a group i may soon join.

Women at MIND tells me i've got nothiong to worry about at my age from the benefit business, a friend was on the original general new deal, in his group there was a guy who had six months to retirement and they were targetting him

I had a job about 10 or more yrs ago, the gp said "You had a breakdown when you lost that job" i said "I didn't end up in hospital" he said "It depends what you mean by a breakdown"

30yrs on meds largactol then depixol then stelazine then sulpiride. Also plugged into the national grid, most of the extreme history is in the past, i'm not even sure if my present shrinks notes go back that far, i've moved around so much

M

maudikie

To Ramob and Apotheosis.

Rethink are doing all they can to sort out the new arrangements made by what is now the Department of Work & Pensions.
I have been given to understand (from another source) that anyone who is being treated on anti-psychotics will not be expected to return to work.
It is my opinion that if you are called to an interview youshould tell them this, and that you suffer from Schizophrenia.
It is quite ridiculous to expect someone with an illness who has been unable to work for many years should suddenly be plunged into the workforce. At the same time I think it is important that you have some sort of occupation or hobby which keeps you as active as you are capable. Also that you play your own part by taking your medications regularly. I know they make many people very tired, but try to set yourselves a daily routine. i.e. get up at a reasonable time, do your chores, take your meals at regular times, and fit in your hobby in between.
I am of the opinion that the sheltered workshops which used to be in the old hospitals were good, but of course they didn't make money.
My first real protest was when I saw a letter from a printer who said that the print works in the hospital was interfering with their work. I wrote to the paper and my letter was printed, and I said that I thought it a "poor do" if people like them could not compete with people who had a severe illness.
The chap who had written the original letter did eventiually go broke, and i
I didn't have much sympathy with him.
Try not to worry about the Benefits. It's time they dealt with all the objectionable youngsters who make drugs and guns and knives their occupation. Or rather the older people who supply these things. How life has changed in my ife time . And in yours, though probably not so much as I'm older than you!:grouphug::p

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
It's not just been expected to work, i had to fight my case with 3 appeals and a tribunal to get the money i'm getting now, i doubt on meds i meet the physical disability criteria, i'm struggleing on the money i'm now getting and worry it'll be cut at any interview

Anti Psychotic drugs now theres a definition for civil servants to say you meet or alternatively don't meet

M

maudikie

Rambo

I too have had to fight three Benefits appeals - that is some years ago, and on behalf of my son. I held Power of Attorney. A Slocicitor accompaied me on the first one, and then there was financial asssistance. Have you tried getting an advocate tocome with you or to appear o your behalf? And have youa pplied for Housing Benefit/ This means that you have to disclose your condition, but if people don't do so, then the mentally ill will always be discriminated against and mis--understood. Anyway - think about it. Don't worry, DONT GET DRUNK! AND SLEEP WELL.
All best wishes.:)

M

maudikie

Monday.

Mornin All. Up and at it! :tea:Bit of grekkers. and away!!:clap:Exercises to get you moving:sleep: But not till after lunch!
Cheers everybody.

A

Apotheosis

Mornin All. Up and at it! :tea:Bit of grekkers. and away!!:clap:Exercises to get you moving:sleep: But not till after lunch!
Cheers everybody.
Easier said than done when you are on anti psychotics, have problems with sleep, & getting the basics done takes most of your energy.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
I claim housing benefit, i claim everything, i'm hearing this thing "Supporting People" from the housing assoc, it's some goverment initiative but i don't see it.

I use advocacy, the mental health advocacy concentrates on those in hospital, they have rights under the new mental health act, their office it's hard to get to and i find them extremely unfriendly, thats LOud and Clear, then theres the disability advocacy at the disability centre, they're better, at the moment they're off until criminal record checks are completed but they're good at arguing disability which is what i require

Seeing the GP today, inner city gp won't do anything, hardly worth the long wait in his crowded surgery, i have to be fairly well to handle the wait

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
Saw Dr asked him how ill i am he said "your well" i said "what you going to say to the benefit lot?" he said "I'll lie to them"

I'm on this big dose of sulpiride, as the disability centre say stabilised is not cure.

Before i saw the gp i went for a haircut, this black barber asked me if i'd ever been with a man, then he kept on disapearing and talking into his mobile phone, then a women seemed to say "He's schitso affective" if i'm well why am i hearing things like that, anyway last time i was diagnosed schitzo afffective was decades ago, i remember when i went for help about harrassment Enfield social services said they had a letter from a psychiatrist saying i wasn't a priority on mental health grounds, i think it was the letter saying i was schitzo affective

Thinking of phoning saneline, my experience is if i mention schitsoprenia they telll me to go to a day centre if i don't they say "This is a telephone helpline for the mentally ill" realy i'd like to talk to someone i know, fat chance

M

maudikie

Rambo.

See if you can get mica on line. If you can i am sure you will get good advice.
Or the Royal colege of Psychiatrists. I think they have feedback.:)
Best wishes, and chin up.

R

ramboghettouk

Founding Member
mica i entered into a search engine, nothing i've tryed to phone saneline but it's engaged.

Maybe my dr is right, i did mention my experience at the hairdresser, strange things happen in harlesdon, i wouldn't mention things to a psychiatrist because i feel they're paid money not to be able to relate.

Yesterday a fight broke out at the leisure centre sauna, doubt that happens at a psychiatrists private gym, also the bus was full of drunken youths on the way back from evening class, if i'd gone upstairs there could have been some incident that a psychiatrist couldn't relate to

Thats the old well argument what i'd be capable of arguing if i came of meds is another matter as is any assumed absence of mental illness is at the cost of drug induced tiredness

M

maudikie

If I were you I wouldn't go out at night for the present at least. Get yourself soted out first. Have you any contact with the mental health Team? If so, get hoold of them, probbl by phone would be the best, and ask them if you can either have a visit fom them or an appointment to see the,