• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

sick twisted people

K

Katss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Am scared, have I only just realised that MH and perversions are not linked? My **** there are some seriously twisted and vile views being aired and bandied about over on around the table?????!!!!! is it just me or are people seriously misguided and sick?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I agree with you Katss.
Mental illness does not mean having 'perversions' as you put it.
Some people are indeed very sick and twisted.

In fact, those of us with mental health problems arguably have more self-awareness and willingness to face our own darkness - and are therefore safer than some of the unmedicated/unsupervised people living "normal" lives.

K

Katss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Probably those of us diagnosed are prob the very least of societies problems? As actually we are very sane, and especially us Bi-polar are the most High functioning, clever and extremely work clever and work ethic ambitious and sane, and give back to society in ways they wont let us be privy to, like working and law and sensible activities, yet they want to stigmatise and be horrid, and take away from the real horrible scurge of what really goes on? sad, but true.

BlueBerry

BlueBerry

Haven't been to the Around the Table board in a while. I might have a wee peek...

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
As actually we are very sane, and especially us Bi-polar are the most High functioning, clever and extremely work clever and work ethic ambitious and sane, and give back to society in ways they wont let us be privy to, like working and law and sensible activities,
Then why do so many people argue that everyone with a bipolar diagnosis is very severely mentally ill/mad/insane?

M

Mastiff mom

I find the media really gives Bipolar a bad name-- we seem to be portrayed as being on the verge of violence, as if we might at any moment snap and run into children's schools with semi automatic weapons. I've met and been friends with many Bipolars and it's only my opinion, but the only harm any Bipolars would do is to themselves.

rasselas.redux

rasselas.redux

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I think a lot of these snap killers go postal on psychiatric drug-induced manias.

particularly the ssris. they seem to have a very mangling effect on some people.

but that is of course not something you're going to see pushed much in the mainstream media. they are all lining one anothers pockets, investments-wise. pharmacology is the second biggest industrial complex behind the global arms trade.

not that the other drugs are without some causal blame. from a personal point of view I have never suffered such rage as I did when I took Abilify. Soon as I stopped it I was fine again.

Frightening.

And if I had lashed out no mention would have been made about the drugs known (yet rarely acknowledged) rage-inducement.

I'd have been truly funked.

BlueBerry

BlueBerry

I find the media really gives Bipolar a bad name-- we seem to be portrayed as being on the verge of violence, as if we might at any moment snap and run into children's schools with semi automatic weapons. I've met and been friends with many Bipolars and it's only my opinion, but the only harm any Bipolars would do is to themselves.
Back in my first year of Uni, there was a girl in my dorm suffering from Bipolar I, and she ended up doing some things like doing hard drugs, trashing out kitchen when she came in from a night out, and a couple of times she self harmed very badly and ended up in the hospital.
One of my friends tried to stop her SH-ing, and got hurt a little herself.
The BP girl eventually tried to hurt herself very badly and had to leave Uni due to her difficulties.

Anyway, the result of this is that the people who were in my Uni social circle all seemed to have a very bad opinion of bipolar. They saw all the crazy dangerous stuff and none of the positives.

Aside from my old aqaintances, I don't hear about Bipolar a lot. I think schizophrenia and borderline personality disorder get tons of stigma, at least in the media I encounter. Schizophrenics are seen as dangerous lunatics who might stab you in the street suddenly for no reason, while Borderline's seem to have a reputation as selfish, manipulative emotional vampires.

Last edited by a moderator:
formerlymadjon

formerlymadjon

im not dangerous in any way but i can see why i might be thought of as dangerous in the past i have had outbursts of rage where id smash the house up self harm and carry on smashing things.
so the scene would be a total wreckage.

this can be quite upsetting to some people, iv only ever caused damage to myself and objects though

Last edited by a moderator: